3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Why is it some bows shoot a variety of arrows well and some are picky?  (Read 371 times)

Offline Sharptop

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
I have had the hardest time dialing in a bow I got earlier in the year and finally think I've narrowed it down to a few 1/8 inches in a particular arrow. Yet another bow with similar specs shot a variety of arrows, different stiffnesses and lengths. Both are 54" Shrew and Thunderchild.

I suspect I have a bad release and the bow that shoots everything is 6lbs pull heavier than the picky one. Could that be the reason?

Perturbed in Georgia......

Offline ARflatbower

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why is it some bows shoot a variety of arrows well and some are picky?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 06:50:00 PM »
I will follow this one....have a bow that is driving me nuts!!!
Mahaska Flatbow L/H 50@28
Quillian AT Longhunter L/H 66@28

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 08:12:00 PM »
it's the nature of all three beasts - the bow, the arrow AND you.  some matches were made in heaven - those are the bows and arrows we treasure.  others were made for divorce court.  :D

as simple as the sticks and string appear to be, there is more to it all than meets the eye ...
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline MarkE2006

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 08:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rob DiStefano:
there is more to it all than meets the eye ...
Transformers...but seriously center shot of the bow has a lot to do with arrow and bow harmony.
'10 Howard Hill Wesley Special 70" 45@28; '09 Turkey Creek 62" 55@28; '09 Brush Country Wasp II 64" 54@28; '07 Turkey Creek Dbl Carbon 64" 56@28; '64 Wing Red Wing Hunter 58" 38@28; '62 Wing Red Wing Hunter 58" 50@28

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 08:50:00 PM »
overall bow design, your style, arrow shelf, limb width.. I have alot of bows and have observed the same..a few are pretty finicky but most are pretty forgiving ...I like to hunt with the bows that seem to be the most forgiving...and speed is not in that factor..I see alot of people emphasizing fast bows...as long as the kinetic energy is there,,,and the bow is quiet..speed is not as important..I know that alot of people will argue with me but thats my opinion..

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 08:54:00 PM »
I think Rob summed it up quite well. I have found the longer you shoot the bow the more it will come around and will be a pleasure to shoot. Just give it time.

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 09:05:00 PM »
It helps to have a lot of different shafts, points, and a chop saw can be handy.  A full vocabulary may make you feel better.     :biglaugh:

Offline B M A

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 09:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rob DiStefano:
it's the nature of all three beasts - the bow, the arrow AND you.  some matches were made in heaven - those are the bows and arrows we treasure.  others were made for divorce court.   :D  

as simple as the sticks and string appear to be, there is more to it all than meets the eye ...
[/QUOTE

X2

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 09:51:00 PM »
I think it mostly has to do with the way the shelf is cut.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 09:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by KentuckyTJ:
I think it mostly has to do with the way the shelf is cut.
That's what I was gonna say, Tom.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline kevgsp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2011, 10:10:00 PM »
The easiest and most forgiving bow to tune is one with a flipper rest and plunger.   :readit:

Offline TRADARROW71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2011, 10:20:00 PM »
Shelf, and tillering are what I've heard.  It seems inconvenient, but having different arrows helps.   Flipper rest and plunger makes some people upset...they don't consider it "traditional".  I couldn't care less, whatever helps you get there...just don't try to come down to Texas and use it in a TBOT 3D shoot, they get real upset!

Offline habujohn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2011, 10:30:00 PM »
Some bow materials like carbon limbs can be a bit more difficult.  I like to play with many factors to get a bow to shoot the way I like it.  This could be in the arrow spine, brace height, arrow shelf or plate.  I have even found playing with different strings can make a difference.  It is fun trying to figure it and it keeps me practicing even after 40 years of shooting.
habujohn

Offline gonefishing600

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2011, 10:53:00 PM »
The more variables you put in to the equation, the more variations in performance you are going to get. If all bows in question where the same, then the variation would me minimal. Different limb materials have different cast. Different bow manufactures cut there risers different in relation to the center of the bow. Bow strings, are they all the same material and same number of strands ? All this will affect arrow flight, and paradox.

If one piece of the equation is different from one bow to the next, than you will have to change either the shaft length, or tip weight to compensate for that difference.

Just my opinion I could be wrong.
JD Berry Argos 64" 48#&28"
Toelke Classic Whip 64" 46#@28"
Acs one piece 64" 46#@28"
BlackWidow PLX 66" 46#@28"

Offline kevgsp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2011, 11:02:00 PM »
Ya, plungers have only been around for 50 years or so,  I guess they are not traditional. LOL What was I thinking.

If I ever end up in texas I will stay clear of the Trad Police at the TBOT 3D shoot. (Dont tell them there is a division called RU for such un "trad" gizmos     :scared:     )

Sharptop,  The bow that is closer to centershot will be more forgiving of arrow spine.

FWIW a 54" bow can be a little more tricky to come off the string cleanly.

Offline bucksbuouy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2011, 12:51:00 AM »
two words- finger pinch

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2011, 01:25:00 AM »
Speaking strictly for myself, I think if a bow is cut 3/16" past center, it will shoot a variety of differently spined arrows and point weights very easily and never be picky.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2011, 08:18:00 AM »
Thats the difference between a well designed bow from an ok designed bow.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Chuck from Texas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2011, 04:45:00 PM »
A bow that is real particular about arrows will be particular slight variations of from, grip draw length and release etc. I dump bows like that.

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2011, 05:18:00 PM »
I had a 42@28" 66" BW target bow that shot Bear 308s,I think that was a 2016, with commanding authority and shot them faster at any draw than a 52 pound longbow I had, which would really not shoot them at all, what really got me was when even another 60 pound longbow would not shoot the 308 unless I hung 200 grains on the end. The BW target bow shot the ones  with 200 grains up front just as well and faster than the 60 pound longbow. This was a bow from the late 60s early 70s beautiful Brazilian rosewood riser. At 29" draw it put those 308s with 125 field points, according to a chrono at a shoot, out at 202 fps. This bow also zipped target arrows out at unreal speeds as well, it just did not seem to care what was in it.  I wish my Bear takedowns and my longbows could that, the only reason I did not hunt with it and that target style was that I could not get deer to stand still where I was pointing the bow, I shot indoor 290s consistently with it, so it was an accurate bow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©