3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Where is best bunny hunt in US?  (Read 326 times)

Offline HugeBull

• Trad Bowhunter
Where is best bunny hunt in US?
« on: December 18, 2011, 09:43:00 PM »
OK, I am in the mood for more opportunities and a smaller price tag than elk.  If you guys could go anywhere to shoot rabbits, where would you go?  Those stories from you guys in the west sound like a lotta fun.   :)   Hugh

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Where is best bunny hunt in US?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 10:18:00 PM »
This is a Great  Bunny Hunt for the KIDS  or You can come down to Texas in the Winter to be little warmer when hunting those cottontails/jackwabbits.

Do a search on here and You'll find some great Info and should be able to find a nice group to join somewhere close to You..

Offline rg176bnc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 10:33:00 PM »
Texas is crawling with them buggers.

Online The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 10:34:00 PM »
I'd totally be down for a Tradgang Jackrabbit Shoot.  I'm missing west Texas this year and the jacks was half the fun of going.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 11:06:00 PM »
That Tx hunt might be a kick. Do you need a license to hunt jacks?
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Online The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 11:10:00 PM »
Think the small game license.  But I think a lot of the counties have no limit and don't close on rabbits.  Someone here will know.

Offline instinctivebowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 11:37:00 PM »
if you do the bunny hunt for the kids charity thing let me know, i can maybe somehow sponsor it

jeremy clark
clark broadheads

Offline arrowwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 11:37:00 PM »
Anywhere? Great Sand Dunes National Preserve in October.
There's probably lots of other great places, but I'd like to go back. Lots of jackrabbits when I was there.

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 01:27:00 AM »
Eastern Wyoming is the best I have ever witnessed.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 01:29:00 AM »
Best bunny hunt I ever had was at Sanderson, Texas out in west Texas. The ground everywhere looked like it was constantly moving. There were literally hundreds of jackrabbits.

They were easy to stalk too.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline don_h

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 02:38:00 AM »
Alaska is on an up for the bunny cycle, just before the snow when they are turning white is a great time. Not to overshadow the rabbits, but there is a few other things to shoot at as well while your here at that time.

Offline Anointed Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 08:52:00 AM »
The annual Michigan TradGang Bunny Stomp at Sleepy Hollow State game area in Michigan.  Great fun, great food, great fellowship and for a great cause.  There is a giant raffle and ALL proceeds go to St. Jude's Children's hospital.
For God was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself, no longer counting people’s sins against them. And he gave us this wonderful message of reconciliation.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 10:48:00 AM »
Two best bunny hunts I've ever had were Farson Wyoming and Kingman Arizona. I've had some great one here in California also...  

Almost felt guilty in Wyoming...  a guy could almost let loose an arrow with his eyes closed. Kingman was a close second had to keep one eye open  :)
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 11:05:00 AM »
I was in central Wyoming, near Worland and Greybull, I saw a ton of rabbits, cottontail and Jacks. They were in every little opening in the sage!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, 01:08:00 PM »
Wyoming and southern Montana!

Never seen as many in my life, Like Ron said cottontail and jacks. All on BLM land free for the taking  :D  

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline statikpunk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2011, 02:47:00 AM »
well Im new here and not the most experienced, but northern nevada is great for cotton tails.  I grew up hunting them and they are my most favorite game animal.
even a novice like myself can manage to bring home a couple every time I go out.  plus we have plenty of public land, you just got to locate em' which a fresh skiff of snow makes for an awfully good sign post.
here is a tip.  cottontails love old farm/ranch trash piles, all my favorite spots are old dumps from ranches.

here is a couple from last week in a spot thats less than an 8th of a mile from my house. I hunt rabbits almost once a week during the season.  you gotta shoot rubber tips though, too many rocks unless you wanna replace nocks after every shot.

IMAG0319  by  statikpunk , on Flickr

IMAG0322  by  statikpunk , on Flickr

Offline HugeBull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2011, 07:00:00 AM »
Sweeeeeet!  I wondered if anyone would bother with this post but see that some of you guys are twooo wabbit wackers! (my best Elmer Fudd)

If any of you are still following the thread, three questions:

1) When is the next Michigan TradGang Bunny Stomp coming up?
2) When is "Just before the snow" in Alaska likely to occur?
3)Where is Great Sand Dunes National Preserve - Colorado?  I thought they did not allow hunting there?

Thanks guys.

Hugh

Offline swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2011, 07:20:00 AM »
I am going to say Wyoming, the last time I drove through there I counted 37 dead on a one mile stretch of Interstate.
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline arrowwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2011, 08:56:00 AM »
Hugh, yep, Colorado. No hunting in the national park but there's a preserve next to it, where hunting is allowed. Just an idea for you, there are lots of places.

http://www.nps.gov/grsa/parkmgmt/hunting.htm

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2011, 09:52:00 AM »
There is something so poetic about a guy with the handle of Huge Bull asking about world class bunny hunting.  

Gotta love it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©