3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Trying my hand at Writing  (Read 209 times)

Offline Nor-Cal Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Trying my hand at Writing
« on: December 18, 2011, 10:40:00 PM »
Let me know what you think.....

A Families Tradition

As long as I can remember hunting season has been on our family vacation list.  It was something we all looked forward to, cold mornings, long days and family around the campfire.  We would scout our areas for months trying to see where the deer were moving to and from.  We would spend endless days at the rifle range sighting in our rifles to pinpoint accuracy.

The 2009 deer season started the same as it had for years.  My family would head up a couple days early to get the camp ready for the rest of the family’s arrival.  I was unable to get up to deer camp early due to work restraints. The entire family had arrived and we spent the evening catching up on the past year before we called it a night.  It was now time to turn in for a restless night wondering what opening day would bring.

O dark thirty rolls around and I crawled out of the sleeping bag with excitement. As the rest of the camp started to rise from the darkness the anticipation grew.  Lanterns, Generators, and lights made an echo as we prepared for opening day.  After a quick bite of hot oatmeal and a steaming cup of coffee we loaded up and headed out into the darkness.  The race to get to your secret spot before any other hunter was on.

As the sun started to rise in the sky, the brisk morning turned warm and I knew it was time to hunt.  As I sat next to a big digger pine motionless, waiting for the deer to move and that trophy of a life time to appear.  Waiting and waiting the morning grew long and the sound of gun shots filled the air, some far and some near wondering if one of those shots might be apart of my hunting party.  In the quietness of the morning the two way radio beeps you answer and hear the excitement “ I got one come help “. As I got my gear together headed toward there location I couldn’t help but wonder how big is it.

The celebration lasted for days.  Pictures were being taken and stories were told.  I would sleep much easier knowing that the hard work and preparation had worked with a hanging deer in the trees.  It wasn’t the size of the rack that matters it’s the meat in the freezer that made me happy.

Although the days went buy the white game bags were filling up the trees in camp. Trying to find something to do like fishing or reading a book to taking cat naps was easy.  I would rather spend the time with my family trying to find them a deer so the can fill there tags.  

After a week or two in the deer woods it was time to return to reality.  We packed are trucks and trailers and made sure deer camp was cleaned and empty.  We would say our goodbyes, shake hands and give hugs and the familiar “see you next year” was heard.  For those who hadn’t filled there tags it was going to be evening and weekend hunts for the remainder of the season.

As the families departed the camp and headed home the thoughts of what next year would bring stirred in the mind. I immediately requested vacation and time off for the fallowing year and the tedious planning process started all over again.  The deer season will be a part of my families’ traditions for generations to come. Now that the 2009 deer season has come to an end, I was unable to harvest a deer but it was now time to start looking forward to deer season of 2010, and hopefully I would be able to meat in the freezer…

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Trying my hand at Writing
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 09:14:00 AM »
:clapper:    :clapper:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline LONGSTYKES

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 09:30:00 AM »
Well done, I like. Looking forward to many more hunting tales. God Bless
" The History of the Bow and Arrow is the History of Mankind " Fred Bear

TGMM Family of The Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 09:36:00 AM »
:thumbsup:  

I was always jealous of the folks that had a family tradition of hunting together.  I hunted by myself for the most part.  Still do.

Good read and God Bless,
Nathan
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 09:44:00 AM »
A good read, but where's the connection to Traditional archery?
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 11:18:00 AM »
Easy to read. Nice.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 03:32:00 PM »
When someone asks for input on their literary skills, my critique would be short and to the point...and I hope not too negative.

1.  This is a trad archery site, so I expected to read "something" about bows and arrows.

2.  Punctuation, spelling, and grammatical  errors can be distracting.  

3.  Always check your work more than once, or have someone else proof read before submitting something for publication.
Lon Scott

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 03:33:00 PM »
May your tradition continue.

Thanks for sharing.

God bless, Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline rushlush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 04:43:00 PM »
Like it.

Offline DTS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 07:27:00 PM »
Enjoyed it.  Brings back memories of my families tradition up there in Shasta and Trinity counties.  Sure do miss those mountains. Keep it up.  Blessings.

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 08:00:00 PM »
Traditional Archery not a short story forum.  :nono:    :nono:
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Hit-or-Miss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2011, 06:59:00 PM »
Nice job!

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2011, 07:06:00 PM »
:clapper:    :clapper:
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline Nor-Cal Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2011, 09:33:00 PM »
Thanks for the kind words. I do apologize for not writing about traditional archery but this was written a couple years ago before I caught the traditional bug. There are a few grammar and punctuation errors that need to be corrected. The next one I write will be on A hunt into the Trinity Alps for the 2012 Archery Deer Season and I will be using Traditional gear. Thanks again and have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. !!!!!!!!!! Shoot Straight !!!!!!!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©