3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wood arrows to short,any advice  (Read 409 times)

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Wood arrows to short,any advice
« on: December 19, 2011, 11:33:00 AM »
Few years back i started using carbon arrows.Prior to that i used woods.Problem is i pull a full 32 inch arrow.My woods always had to be footed to give me the legnth i needed.Would like to use woods out of the new longbow im building.Dont care much for the adapters with  the the screw-in points as a option,but that maybe the way i have to go.Field piont use i can get by,problem is with broadheads.Anything you long draw guys are doing that i havnt thought of?Thanks ahead for your comments.Mike

Offline Caleb the bow breaker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wood arrows to short,any advice
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 11:37:00 AM »
sent you a pm
Oh squeaky treestand, how I hate thee!

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 11:38:00 AM »
Woody weights?  I am not a long draw guy but the woody weight add some length to the arrow and get the BH away.  Might have to shoot a lighter BH due to the adaptor.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 11:50:00 AM »
I looked at the woody weights,the lightest is 75grns.Again these are good options just tring to avoid alot of weight gain and broadhead change.Thanks

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 11:52:00 AM »
reparrows. They are made of wood nand you glue them on to the point end of Your short shafts to make the longer. Taper new point end, stain/paint/poly/ect: Then add point.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 11:55:00 AM »

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 11:58:00 AM »
Google Reparrow I haven't personally used it but it looks like it would work for you and there are some threads on it here
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 11:58:00 AM »
Mysticguido,Caleb mention those in hes pm.I tried those and they didnt seem to hold up for me.Getting them on straight was also a issue.

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 12:01:00 PM »
Maybe i need to revisit that reparrow idea,and try them out again.

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 12:02:00 PM »
Have you tried contacting some of the arrow vendors here and ask to have a special length made?
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 12:11:00 PM »
did you lay them on a flat area? what type of glue did you use? I used tite bond III. I lightly coated the shaft point, let dry til barely tacky. 2 drops in the reparrow and lightly push/twist on. Also make sure you don't push to much and it doesn't take much to do it. push them on then pull them off then back on again. This helps to get the glue all over.

wipe off extra glue, check for straightness by looking. lay flat let dry. roll shaft 1/4 tune every minute or so. just to make sure it's flat. I did 6 arrows in 30 minutes came out just as straight as if was a hole shaft of that length.
next day poly'ed them and the next day cut taper and added points.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 12:12:00 PM »
Never had a problem getting reparrows on straight.  There are still folks around who make footed shafts.  Might be a custom order, and expensive, but they're still available.  I think Bill Carlson had some 36-inch poplar shafts available a while back.  Might check with him to see if he has any left.

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 12:12:00 PM »
The ones i have talked to say the raw shaft is 32"then when you taper it will end up 31".the advice has always been footing.Just a draw back to a long draw.

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 12:15:00 PM »
I thought about poplar,anyone have any experience with poplar?The good, the bad,and the ugly?

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, 12:15:00 PM »
Have to find the link for a tool that cuts square stock to arrow shaft size..

Offline deaddoc4444

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2011, 12:59:00 PM »
I LIKE poplar .   IF you buy  3/8 dowells they come 36 inches so length is not a problem . USUALLY heavy spines  if yrou buying dowells  and the spines range a LOT . I tend to buy  about 6 to 10 every time I go into Lowes . Last vist they were 87 cents apiece .  I take my time pick straight one with the best grain I can find  wil little run-off. If ther is some run-off near one end IM fine since i do9nt usa n arrow  over 29 inches so it give me a lot to play with .  I then take them home   spine  them and put them in to the appropriate bundles   I continue to do that until I have a supply of the ones I need for the spine I want  .  
 Polpar  is a bit stronger  and a bit heavier than POC.   I have had a lot of succes swith them over the years . IMHPO they make great arrows for the cost .
 They ALL need a bit of straightening  but after they are straight and sealed well, they tend to stay that way .
   I taper mine down to 11/32 on the nock end which reduces the spine some, so that I end up with more usable shafts  for the lower spine weights . If you shoot heavy spine arrows you will be in good stead right off .
HH Big 5 71# @29
Damon Howatt/Hunter 50@28
Damon Howatt/Ventura 45@28
Damon Howatt/Bushmaster 60@28
Leon Stewart/Slammer 52@28
BIG EAST  45@28
Fedora Xtreme/Hybrid 50@28
   "Leiber Hammer als Amboss"

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2011, 01:08:00 PM »
Sounds like i need to give the Reparrow another try.What type of wood do you find works best if any?

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2011, 01:17:00 PM »
I got some fairly recently and as I recall the wood choices have been reduced to Walnut or Walnut which is fine cause it is stromg and glues well. My experience has been that the glued joint is stronger than the rest of the shaft. Make your tapers well and use Titebond 3 as the glue and you will have an excellent joint. I only shoot wood and have been using Reparrows from the beginning.

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2011, 01:48:00 PM »
Legends1 you have a pm
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline REM

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Rick's Traditional Bowstrings
    • Rick's Traditional Bowstrings
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2011, 04:40:00 PM »
Try the Reparrows, they work great.  I have a 32" draw and I make my wood arrows 33" long bop with the reparrows.  I could go 34" easy if I wanted them that long.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©