3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Is this arrow ok for my bow?  (Read 240 times)

Offline Kenkel

• Trad Bowhunter
Is this arrow ok for my bow?
« on: December 19, 2011, 02:51:00 PM »
Gold Tip Traditional 5575 full length with 50 grain brass inserts and 175 grain field tip making around a 528 grain or so arrow(on my scales).  Is this ok to shoot off of my Black Widow recurve 55lbs @ 28"?  The reason Im asking is that I have noticed a stress line in the fiberglass from the limb bolts that I am pretty sure wasnt there when I got the bow.  Hope I havent screwed something up.  I am shooting 3 under and I think it is tillered for split if that makes any difference.  I was bare shafting and it didnt sound quite right so I looked it over and noticed the stress line.       :help:

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Is this arrow ok for my bow?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 03:00:00 PM »
It's almost 10 grs per pound,which is plenty heavy.Stress line around the limb bolt area is usally from overtightening.They just need to be snug,you might email Black Widow and ask them.

Offline Kenkel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 03:03:00 PM »
Thanks JRY, I tried to make sure that I didn't overtighten the bolts and just snugged them up.  I just got off of the phone with Vernon at Black Widow and he pretty much told me to go ahead and shoot it and my arrows were within the range of weights for the poundage.  He also told me to seal the crack with super glue so I will try that and see if they keep growing.  Any tips on doing this?  Thanks

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 09:38:00 PM »
Your arrows are fine. I agree with JRY about over tightening.

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 10:58:00 PM »
That arrow is fine.  Your bow probably isn't.  You can shoot way heavier shafts that than, though there is really no real reason to.  Contact BW and check with them.
Silence is golden.

Offline Kenkel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 12:27:00 AM »
I just snugged the limb bolts, actually antler limb bolts, so I got them hand tight and figured it would be ok.  BW said the arrows were fine so its got me wondering what happened.  I marked the crack to see if it grows any and may try the super glue.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©