3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: woodsmen and vap broadheads whats the difference  (Read 403 times)

Offline lunchbucket

• Trad Bowhunter
woodsmen and vap broadheads whats the difference
« on: December 19, 2011, 08:00:00 PM »
I was just wondering what are the major differences between these two broadheads?They look very similar in design so is one easier to sharpen than the other or does one fly better?Just curious questions from a begginer.

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: woodsmen and vap broadheads whats the difference
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 08:04:00 PM »
Woodsman Elites and VPA's are the same, made by VPA.

I don't know who is building the original Woodsmans. The originals are welded together and the Elites and VPA's are machined from a solid piece of steel.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline lunchbucket

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 08:09:00 PM »
Thanks for the reply I thought they looked very similar.

Online Breakfast Boy

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 08:48:00 AM »
Shedrock is correct in that VPA makes the Woodsman Elites.  They are very similiar to the VPA's in that they are made with the same high standards, materials and the heavier weight heads look almost identical.  However, the lighter weight heads (150 and under) are vented with the Woodsman Elites and the VPA's are not.

Also, the Woodsman Elites will be longer versus the VPA's when it comes to the lighter weight heads.  All of the VPA heads have 1 1/8" cutting diameter.  The Woodsman Elites also have 1 1/8" cutting diameter on their 150 grain and up heads, whereas their 100 and 125 grain heads have a 1" cutting diameter.

Both heads are FANTASTIC heads and I don't think you can go wrong with either one.  I have never found an easier to sharpen head than the VPA's and Woodsman Elites.  And they're super tough.  I have seen a VPA 3 blade that the owner of VPA pounded through a nickel, with absolutely no damage to the broadhead.  Like I said, the Woodsman Elites will be the same high quality.  You can go to the two websites and compare them if you wish...

Woodsman Elites...  http://www.3riversarchery.com/Broadheads+Points+Woodsman++Woodsman%26reg%3B+ELITE+3-Blade+Screw-In_c57_s120_p0_i4225-3X_product.html

VPA 3 Blades...  http://www.vparchery.com/vpa_3_blade_broadheads.php

Hope that helps answer your questions.  Tough to choose one head over the other, but you can't go wrong with either one in my opinion.  If you have any further questions, please shoot me a private message or an e-mail and I'll answer them the best I can.

-Jameson (VPA Sales & Marketing team)
[email protected]
-Jameson

Membership Secretary
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

www.comptontraditionalbowhunters.com

Online Breakfast Boy

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 08:49:00 AM »
By the way, if you get up to the Traditional Expo in Kalamazoo next month, stop by the VPA booth.  I'll be there and it would be great to meet some TradGangers.
-Jameson

Membership Secretary

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 03:58:00 PM »
As has been said above the WW elites and Vpa's are basically the same head. They are the toughest heads I have ever seen. The way I practice in my yard if I miss I hit my driveway. Well I missed once with one on the end of my arrow  and it hit the concrete dead on. There was NO damage to the head.
James Kerr

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 04:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by Breakfast Boy:
Shedrock is correct in that VPA makes the Woodsman Elites.  They are very similiar to the VPA's in that they are made with the same high standards, materials and the heavier weight heads look almost identical.  However, the lighter weight heads (150 and under) are vented with the Woodsman Elites and the VPA's are not.

Also, the Woodsman Elites will be longer versus the VPA's when it comes to the lighter weight heads.  All of the VPA heads have 1 1/8" cutting diameter.  The Woodsman Elites also have 1 1/8" cutting diameter on their 150 grain and up heads, whereas their 100 and 125 grain heads have a 1" cutting diameter.

Both heads are FANTASTIC heads and I don't think you can go wrong with either one.  I have never found an easier to sharpen head than the VPA's and Woodsman Elites.  And they're super tough.  I have seen a VPA 3 blade that the owner of VPA pounded through a nickel, with absolutely no damage to the broadhead.  Like I said, the Woodsman Elites will be the same high quality.  You can go to the two websites and compare them if you wish...

Woodsman Elites...   http://www.3riversarchery.com/Broadheads+Points+Woodsman++Woodsman%26reg%3B+ELITE+3-Blade+Screw-In_c57_s120_p0_i4225-3X_product.html  

VPA 3 Blades...   http://www.vparchery.com/vpa_3_blade_broadheads.php  

Hope that helps answer your questions.  Tough to choose one head over the other, but you can't go wrong with either one in my opinion.  If you have any further questions, please shoot me a private message or an e-mail and I'll answer them the best I can.

[email protected]
I sure wish you guys would do your 2 blade in a glue on! 150-160 grains 1 1/8" W x 2 3/4" L
I think you guys have the best 2 blade on the market without spending a small fortune, until you do I'll keep buying STOS. I have some of your screw in 3 blades now, my favorite by far.
   :thumbsup:
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Offline psychmonky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 06:35:00 PM »
I can vouch for how tough the VPA's are. Missed a doe Sunday after getting tunnel vision and hitting a limb. Buried the 200gr head in the southern Missouri dirt/flint.

Hit the head a few times with a file and then a diamond stone and it shaves again.

Scott
If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Offline lunchbucket

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 09:14:00 PM »
Hey thanks for all the info fellas.Breakfast boy I plan on going to the expo in Kalamazoo.I look foward to meeting you and enjoying the event.

Online Breakfast Boy

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2011, 06:29:00 AM »
Originally posted by MikeW:

Originally posted by Breakfast Boy:

Woodsman Elites...    http://www.3riversarchery.com/Broadheads+Points+Woodsman++Woodsman%26reg%3B+ELITE+3-Blade+Screw-In_c57_s120_p0_i4225-3X_product.html  

VPA 3 Blades...    http://www.vparchery.com/vpa_3_blade_broadheads.php  

[email protected]
I sure wish you guys would do your 2 blade in a glue on! 150-160 grains 1 1/8" W x 2 3/4" L
I think you guys have the best 2 blade on the market without spending a small fortune, until you do I'll keep buying STOS. I have some of your screw in 3 blades now, my favorite by far.
    :thumbsup:  [/b]
Yeah, I agree. A glue on 2 blade design is on the to do list, just as soon as the fellas get some spare time.
-Jameson

Membership Secretary

Offline Tav

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2011, 08:43:00 PM »
What I wish is to have the secret password to sharpen the elites.  I have exhausted every broadhead sharpening video and bought the file and the diamond hone etc.....I have tried changing the pressure I use when sliding the head, darn near everything I have read heard or saw....and I still can't get them to hardly pull hair out of my arm.  I am the most inept broadhead sharpener in the entire world.  If anyone has further advice on how to sharpen these things I will be listening.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2011, 08:48:00 PM »
http://www.3riversarchery.com/3rdemos9.asp#1

Here is the best video I have ever found for sharpening any 3 blade bh. I can get my VPA/elites razor sharp like this.
James Kerr

Offline Tav

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2011, 09:08:00 PM »
I've tried to replicate that video a hundred times.  I just flat out can't do it.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2011, 10:40:00 PM »
Tav, watch the video clip again just to refresh yourself.  Once you have cleaned up the edges with the file and go into the counted strokes, use VERY light pressure on the file.  This minimizes the amount of bur produced.  For the final finishing, a fine diamond or ceramic stick works great; again, keep the pressure light.  I'd drop by and show you, but it would take me a couple days to get there.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2011, 11:53:00 PM »
With the new elites from 3rivers they come hunting sharp by KME. I promise they will be scary   :scared:  sharp. Just don't let them get to dull from practice. If and when you kill something with them just hit them on a stone (I prefer G5's) sharpening 2 blades at a time using counted strokes pulling the broadhead across the stone from back to tip. (by the way when I buy 6 broadheads I always set one aside to be my practice head.)
James Kerr

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2011, 08:50:00 AM »
Tav   always had a hard time with three blades as well. I found an easy way for me to get them to shave . I use a rada wheel sharpener till I see nice clean cut on both sides , then hit them with diamond stick and strope with leather and a little jewlers polish . Works great and I can do a head in just a few minutes. Hope this helps . Drew
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2011, 11:08:00 AM »
The key is knowing how to produce a burr on each edge.  What you do in the first stage of the sharpening process determines success or failure. I prefer to keep it simple . . . with equal pressure applied I push the head across a coarse stone until I feel a burr on the two edges contacting the stone,  Once I confirm that I have established a burr the full length of both edges I rotate the head toward me and repeat, then rotate a second time and continue to place a burr on the final side. This "mates" the edges.  At that point I push the head across the same stone (to remove the burr) 10 times with medium pressure, rotate toward me and repeat on each side.  I do this again using 5, 3, and finally single strokes, using less pressure as I work the head.  The final step involves pulling the head backwards along a smooth, hard stone. Once again alternating edges and using less and less pressure.  I keep my stones extremely well oiled to "float" away the metal as I work the edge.  Using this process I can have a 3 blade head hunting sharp in very little time.  Once again, I do it by FEEL, never looking at the head as I work it.  

Regardless of the stones or finishing technique you decide to use it's all about getting that burr established correctly. If you don't do that you're doomed to failure and frustration.
Gary Logsdon

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2011, 06:47:00 PM »
Jameson, “Breakfast Boy” - Sent you an email.

Thanx,
Gary

Offline Scoobiedooo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2011, 10:16:00 PM »
Hi! Are the Woodsman heads any better than the Snuffers?
Be nice to a nurse - you never know if or when your life or those you love life/lives may depend on us!

"Bless are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy." (5:7)

Online Breakfast Boy

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2011, 03:23:00 PM »
Gary, I replied to ya a little bit ago.  Hope I was able to answer your question(s) alright.  Let me know if there is anything else we can do for ya.

Scoobiedooo, I have used both the standard Woodsman heads and the Snuffers in the past.  Both are a great head and I would say about equal in my opinion.  Keep in mind that comparing the standard Woodsman to the Woodsman Elites is like comparing apples to oranges.  If you go to 3 Rivers website, you can compare the standards and the Elites.  I think you'll find the Elites are much better quality than standard Woodsmans.  It's no surprise the price is a bit more for the higher quality heads.  Like I said, I've used both the standard Woodsmans and the Snuffers with success in the past.  Of course, I only shoot VPA's now.

;)  

Just a matter of what you're looking for in a broadhead.  Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jameson
VPA Sales & Marketing
[email protected]
-Jameson

Membership Secretary

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©