3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best value in trail cameras  (Read 505 times)

Offline Follower

• Trad Bowhunter
Best value in trail cameras
« on: December 19, 2011, 09:42:00 PM »
I am new to trail cameras and wanting to get 3 or 4 cameras to help me learn a new piece of property.  What are some good values in cameras out there considering: (1) $ conscience since I need 4 of them, (2) ease of use, (3) reliability, and (4) quality of photos.

A lot of guys I know spend more time trying to troubleshoot their cameras than they have them in the field.
"If any of you wants to be my follower, you must put aside your selfish ambition, shoulder your cross, and follow me...."  Jesus  (Mathew 16:24)

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best value in trail cameras
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 10:04:00 PM »
ScoutGuard 550s are a pretty good blend of quality, simplicity, and durability IMO.  There are some real trail camera gurus here, so I am anxious to see more opinions.

Offline wildgame

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 10:05:00 PM »
The new coverts are great cameras!! the ca3.0 are only 129.00 small,and easy to use. we've been using them(10 units) all year and no upsets..
"go afield with good attitude,and with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and fields in which you walk" -Fred Bear

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 10:33:00 PM »
I have three Scout Guard 550's. So far real happy with them over two seasons. I had one of the  Wild Game IR4's.  I traded it plus cash for my third 550 because I like them so much, but I must say the IR4 was a very decent camera and they are real cheap if you find the deals.  I think I saw them for as low as $65 this year on one sale deal. It worked well for me, but not as easy to conceal and secure as the 550.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 11:41:00 PM »
I bought two wild game innovations this year one for 70.00 the other was 110.00 the higher one does videos. The cheaper on is 2 mega pixel and the higher one is 4 megapixel. Got a bunch of pics on both and some cool video. for the money I am not disappointed at all. They both done great and serve the purpose.

You can find them online
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 11:45:00 PM »
Another vote for the covert.  Great battery life.  Good warranty.  I had the on/off switch break on one.  I sent it in and had a new one on my doorstep 7 days later.

Offline reddust

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 07:56:00 AM »
Bushnell Trophy cam,I have several.they are small,battries last over a year,easy to use,so far no problems with any of them.I have several Wildgame innovations cameras but after about a year they stopped working.I also have a Spypoint camera so far it seems like a good camera.I have a Cuddback camera which I dont care for,its too complicated to use but it is a older model maybe newer ones are better.
michael schingeck

Offline LoweBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 07:59:00 AM »
Originally posted by wildgame:
The new coverts are great cameras!! the ca3.0 are only 129.00 small,and easy to use. we've been using them(10 units) all year and no upsets..
I started running 2 of these this year and they are outstanding little units!  I'm also running a 5.0 Extreme that I'm very impressed with.
I'll be picking up a couple more Coverts this fall.
Backwater Bowfishing Pro Staff.
MossyOak Pro Staff.
They can have my bow when it's pried from my cold dead fingers.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 09:47:00 AM »
I have been thinking of geting one to play with and see what type of deer are around.  Doing research on a couple of sites the Moultrie m-80 seems to be a good camera for the price.  I think that is the one I am going to try.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Sawpilot 75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 10:40:00 AM »
I was a Cuddeback guy till I started using the Covert this year. It's had the same batteries in it since August and it doesn't miss a shot like others I have used.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 10:51:00 AM »
X2 for Covert. Also ScoutGuard and Covert are one in the same.

www.dlccovert.com
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2011, 10:57:00 AM »
Took TJ's advice and I am Covert convert, haha !!! Great cam.   :readit:
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2011, 10:57:00 AM »
Hunten.  They are pretty new but recommended highly by some guides who leave their cameras out round the clock.  I got an IR model on sale for $50 and it is sturdy, no frills and does what it is supposed to (although not as well as some higher priced cameras)  But, like in a lot of things you get what you pay for.
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Online Dry Creek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2011, 02:49:00 PM »
Who has the best prices on the Coverts?
58" Bear Super Grizzly  45@28
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw 45@30

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2011, 04:36:00 PM »
I get them from the source.  www.dlccovert.com  If you were to have an issue and believe me all trail cameras have their issues. They have great customer service and warranty.

Whatever cameras you all get use the energizer blue batteries. You won't regret it.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline CDR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2011, 04:42:00 PM »
I also took TJ's advice!!   :readit:

Offline Missing Impossible

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2011, 04:58:00 PM »
Honestly, build or buy a homebrew. I started building my own cams in '05 and those are still in use and I run them 9 months a year.  Probably not many commercial cams can do that.  Here's one builder:    http://the12-ring.com/  

If you want to try building one yourself pm me.

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2011, 06:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by wildgame:
I've had great luck with the Cover ca3.0 also.  Only thing I don't like is my fingers are too big to remove the card and trip the on/off switch.  Easily dealt with using a pair of needle nose pliers but it is something that could be improved.  Good little camera every other way though.

Offline Follower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2011, 10:07:00 PM »
Thanks for all the input.  

Missing Impossible - I have studied your build along thread and I may give that a go later in the year.  Right now, I want to get a couple cameras in the field.  A friend of mine builds homebrews and gave me one.
"If any of you wants to be my follower, you must put aside your selfish ambition, shoulder your cross, and follow me...."  Jesus  (Mathew 16:24)

Offline Jim Rocole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2011, 07:44:00 AM »
THe only problem I have had with the ca3.0 is besides having fingers that are to fat is during extreme cold weather the plastic on/off switch snapped off. camera still works but i have to use a paper clip to slide the switch. That said the pics are good and the price is right.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©