3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cold Weather Hand Gear  (Read 386 times)

Offline J Dean

• Trad Bowhunter
Cold Weather Hand Gear
« on: December 20, 2011, 06:41:00 AM »
Ok, what do all you northern guys wear on your hands, specifically your drawing hand, to keep those fingers warm when hunting?  I shoot with a finger glove and have been keeping my hand in my pocket to keep it from freezing, but there has got to be another way.  

John
Omega Imperial 62" - 47#@28"

Offline john gerrard

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cold Weather Hand Gear
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 06:47:00 AM »
I use the chemical hand warmers. On my glove hand I place the heater on the back of my hand. It feels better and there are a lot of blood vessels on the back of you hand to conduct the heat to your fingers.  John

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 06:53:00 AM »
I shoot with a tab and in cold weather I use the glove/mitten combo.  The mitten part folds back out of the way, and I have no trouble shooting with them on.  I do have to trim the finger hole back so that my tab fits properly.  
When it is really cold I also add a chemical hand warmer.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Breakfast Boy

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 07:25:00 AM »
I bought some military surplus wool gloves...one pair with fingers and one pair fingerless.  They fit either hand, so I take one glove from each pair and PRESTO, I have one glove with fingers for my bow hand and one fingerless for my string hand (I shoot a tab), plus I have an extra pair.  I bought both pair for ten bucks at a Wisconsin hardware store.  With those on, my hands have been warm and comfortable down to 25 degrees (coldest I've used them in).  If the fingers on my string hand get a little chilly, I just put my hand in the pocket of my wool coat or vest.

May not be the best option out there, but it's the best I've found since I started shooting a tab.  Not to mention, the price is right.
-Jameson

Membership Secretary
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

www.comptontraditionalbowhunters.com

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 07:58:00 AM »
chemical hand warmers and 1 of the muff-style handwoarmers. Very easie to remove your hands and does not interfere with bowstring.....More comfortable than jamming hands inot pockets, at least IMO.....  :coffee:
Ben
M.O.A.B  54# Thunderstick
Ancient Spirits 62# "Thunderhawk"
Browning Wasp 45#

"VEGETARIAN"----Old Indian word for "BAD HUNTER".

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 08:14:00 AM »
Chemical warmer.

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 08:43:00 AM »
Give the Sitka hand muff a look, it is priced kind of high; but just ask your self what is warm and comfortable hands worth.
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline Tree Killer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 09:23:00 AM »
I wear wool gloves and shoot with a Cordovan tab, but when it's real cold I wear an insulated muffler I got from Cabela's that I keep hand warmers in and switch hands now and then.  

My hands go numb from operating a chainsaw for almost 30 years, plus the doctor's have me on a powerful blood thinner!
"stickbows, putting the arch back in archery"

Offline stykbow67

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 09:37:00 AM »
Kustom King, one of the sponsers here, sells a "Black" glove with a thin fleece lining that ive been using this year when the temps have been in the teens and has worked very well. I cut the three fingers off a ragwool glove and put it on over my shooting glove, works great!

Steve

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 11:34:00 AM »
What Ben said...............
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 11:45:00 AM »
I don't live up north but i use light gloves and a hand muff like NFL quarterbacks use. it keeps my hands very warm.

Bisch

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2011, 01:19:00 PM »
I use a wool glove with the fingers cut shorter for my shooting glove.  When it gets colder, I also use a muff attached around my waist and put my hands in it until I need to shoot.  Much more comfortable than pockets.  If it gets really cold, I add a chemical hand warmer inside the muff.

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2011, 02:35:00 PM »
I use the glove/mitten like Whip but I shoot a three finger glove and I also add a muffler around my waist with a few chemical hand warmers added. Be sure you get a muffler that has big openings to allow you to quietly get your hands out.

Also be sure you practice with this set up before you hunt. That way you will know what it takes to be quiet and shoot effectively. On calm days those critters can detect the slightest noise.

Good luck !!
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2011, 02:43:00 PM »
I shoot with a glove.  I took an old buckskin glove and cut off the finger tips so I could wear both the shooting glove and what's left of the buckskin glove together.  I wear a heavier glove on my bow hand, usually insulated buckskin.  I keep my hands in a muff, throw in a chemical heater when it's really cold.

Offline Tim Hoeck

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2011, 03:48:00 PM »
I still use my old Wooly boogers that I got from Sceaming Eagle. Hands down the best ever made.

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2011, 06:12:00 PM »
I use a hand muff like the NFL quarterbacks wear.  I have also tried using the mitten gloves that some have mentioned. I think I might try the wool cut-off gloves that someone mentioned too.  By the way I use a shooting glove.  The one drawback I have had with this is that the velcro closure of the glove likes to catch on the edge of the muff.

Offline 57HOP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2011, 09:41:00 PM »
When it's COLD, I wear warmest mitten I have on my bow hand; $4.99 pr(German?)Surplus OD canvas and leather, with a synthetic pile lining. Add a chem pack.
This year, my bow hand has had a thin warm weather US Flight glove all season - works great as a shooting glove and is a little warm. Aadd a heat pack at the wrist, and stick it in my pocket, or play Napolean (in my shirt), till needed to shoot.

Offline Trad Whitetail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2011, 10:59:00 PM »
I do what Whip does - glommits are awesome and work great with my tab. If I have to shoot it is easy to flip back the mitten part with my shooting hand and shoot.  Gloves never keep me warm while still hunting in the cold but the glommits do.

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2011, 01:17:00 AM »
I only wear gloves if it's real cold, and then I only wear the el cheapo, thin knit finger gloves with the little rubber stipples on the palms and fingers.  I cut off the thumb and first two fingers of my string hand glove for my tab.  I keep my hands in the pockets of my coat.  If it's truly cold, I'll put heat packs in them.  I've found that my own body heat from my pockets is far better than individually wrapping my hands in gloves.  I should add that I'm primarily treestand hunting in which I always hang my bow next to me, and never sit there with bow in hand until something comes in.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2011, 04:11:00 AM »
No matter what you put on your hands don't forget to not restrict bloodflow with tight sleeves,cuffs etc.  Sometimes I fut handwarmers on the inside of my wrists and it seems to "preheat" the blood going to my fingers.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©