3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: the USA ferral hog situation ....  (Read 1379 times)

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: the USA ferral hog situation ....
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2011, 06:49:00 PM »
I see a natural hog predator every morning in the mirror..........
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Offline Troy Breeding

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2011, 06:57:00 PM »
All I want to know is, if hogs are such a problem why is it everytime I ask about hunting them dollar sign pop into the eyes of the landowners I ask?

Troy

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2011, 07:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by Troy Breeding:
All I want to know is, if hogs are such a problem why is it everytime I ask about hunting them dollar sign pop into the eyes of the landowners I ask?

Troy
Cause everyone likes money and if you don't want to pay the next guy will.
Pretty sad really
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Offline Bill Sant

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2011, 07:06:00 PM »
Troy,  exactly the feeling I get when listening to the landowners whine about the hog problem.  If they will pay a lot of money for the hog dog guys to hunt them why do they expect hunters to pay them???  Am I missing something??  Not trying to be sarcastic but I truly don't understand that mode of thinking.

Offline Troy Breeding

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2011, 07:19:00 PM »
Not trying to change things on this thread, but if a farmer is having trouble with water standing in his fields and you offer to dig a drainage ditch to run the water off he will gladly except.

Whats the difference????

Troy

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2011, 07:25:00 PM »
Not trying to change things on this thread, but if a farmer is having trouble with water standing in his fields and you offer to dig a drainage ditch to run the water off he will gladly except.

Whats the difference????

Troy
There aren't a line of guys behind you with shovels willing to pay the farmer to dig that same ditch?

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2011, 07:29:00 PM »
Somehow I suspect Leopold would be rolling in his grave. [/QB]
How true !

Australia has been absolutely decimated by hogs, goats , rabbits etc
It s great to be able to hunt them but the native flora and faune should come first every time !!!
If you haven't got hogs ,be glad ... you don't want them .
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2011, 07:35:00 PM »
You want to get rid of them let the UT F&G manage them, they will be gone in a couple seasons. LOL!!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2011, 07:36:00 PM »

Whats the difference????

Troy
Would you pay him to dig his ditch?
You don't see the difference?

Offline Troy Breeding

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2011, 07:49:00 PM »
Several years ago while living in AL I talked to one of the conservation officers about a place to hog hunt. He gave me the name an location of a farmer that had called him several times.

After driving acouple of hours I finaly located the farmer. When I ask about helping with his problem he refused to let me hunt. Stated he didn't allow hunting on his land.

Troy

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2011, 08:02:00 PM »
Several years ago while living in AL I talked to one of the conservation officers about a place to hog hunt. He gave me the name an location of a farmer that had called him several times.

After driving a couple of hours I finally located the farmer. When I ask about helping with his problem he refused to let me hunt. Stated he didn't allow hunting on his land.

Troy
Doesn't make a whole that of sense does it? I'd like to hear that conversation. What was his problem with it and also why didn't you call him first before driving all that way?

I can understand some land owners having reservations with letting strangers hunt their land, their are just too many jerks out their now days that ruin it for everyone else.

Littering, leaving gates open, hurting livestock, rutting up the roads where they shouldn't go with 4wd's, killing what they weren't allowed to..ect. ect. ect.

Am sure they have been through it and seen it all and I can see where they would trust a Gov. official over a Joe Blow hunter not to do that.

Offline Troy Breeding

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2011, 08:09:00 PM »
I informed the farmer that the CO had given me his name. Didn't make a difference, he wasn't letting me hunt even when I offered to call the CO to have him confirm everything.

BTW, CO suggested I contact the farmer in person.

Anyway, after talking to the CO later he stated the farmer was just out of luck from now on because he wasn't the pied piper and had made an attempt to help by sending me.

Troy

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2011, 08:29:00 PM »
The reason farmers will charge for hunting rights and also complain about crop damage is because they stand to benefit financially from both.

If they let you hunt on their land for free, heaven forbid, now they actually have to grow something to get paid.

as far as hunters transplanting hogs to hunt illegally, I am sure it is a HUGE problem or they wouldn't have thought of stopping the hunt.  Most people assume these agencies come to these laws for the heck of it or based on hearsay.  I am sure they had sound reason for their decision and probably spend way too much money getting to their stance.  

My bet is hunters were transporting hogs non stop. If they had a shoot to kill any violators, no questions asked, now that would probably discourage the activity a little more.  Instead, they make a rule that affects everyone negatively, not just the culprits.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2011, 08:59:00 PM »
For the record I have hunted where there are deer , hogs and Turkeys for near 35 years. The only critters that there are "less" of the last 10 years on this property are hogs. I`m talking about near 10,000 acres. In the past few years a group of 20 pigs is a very large group. Many years ago seeing 100 pigs in a day was not uncommon and I am talking about public land.RC

Offline rg176bnc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2011, 09:15:00 PM »
I cant see guys driving to TX and back to release hogs especially in several states.

Id believe farmers let them go when the pork market crashed first.

Unfortunatly the conservation dept has a louder voice than the public so we get drown out.

Another example of this is Mountain Lions.  For years when they were killed or seen here we were told they had to of been someones pet.  Now 20yrs later finally were told the truth that they are wild, because there is simply too many encounters to dismiss anymore.

All we can do is wack'em while the wacking is good!!

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2011, 09:39:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing that Rob. We've been lucky in the Piedmont area, as we haven't seen an outbreak......yet.
Noli rogare pro onia pauciora, rogate pro scapulas latiores.

I go afield with bent wood, stick and string in search of serenity  through my primal quest.

Venatôr

Offline Red4arm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2011, 09:53:00 PM »
I live in east tn where the mountains are. A lot of bear and hog hound guys here. They hunted "hawgs" year round. They also raise wild ones and release them year round. Its always been illegal, but so is selling bear gaulbladders. It's a lifestyle to them and it's a bigger problem than most think.
With the hog shows on tv, now everyone wants to hunt them, and if they don't have any they want to stock them.
I don't think they are as big of a problem as tv let's on, but in some areas I have seen, like Savanah Wildlife refuge in ga., they have taken over even with hunting allowed there.
Just look at the interest on this site, everyone wants to hunt hogs. I like to hunt hogs too, I just don't want them on my land here. They are just to destructive to native wildlife. Quail and grouse have a hard enough time as it is.

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2011, 09:59:00 PM »
 With the hog shows on tv, now everyone wants to hunt them
Yeah you think it's expensive now just wait til that catches on, it will do what "The River Runs Though it" did to fly fishing

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2011, 10:36:00 PM »
they were spotted in my area. i havnt seen any yet and we dont have a huge population of them. would love to hunt them though.
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2011, 11:09:00 PM »
In areas where the pigs are not well established and they need to be removed...

Banning hunting and then extensive trapping would seem to make sense. Remove the incentive and the pigs. I would guess trapping catches and removes more than shooting one or two per hunter.

All that being said, I would love to go pig hunting!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©