3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Glove or Tab  (Read 423 times)

Offline AB3

• Trad Bowhunter
Glove or Tab
« on: December 20, 2011, 06:56:00 PM »
Im new to trad but I shot a wheel bow for years with a glove.Im shooting a old glove now.What do some of you use glove or tab and what brand and why.Wondering if I should switch.Thanks Alvin
62" Horne TD Longbow 50#

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Glove or Tab
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 07:03:00 PM »
I use a big shot glove. Quality is great, very durable and once you get it broke in there's none better. Nice smooth release too!

JMHO, Jason

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 07:03:00 PM »
I use a Cordovan tab & I really like it. It's there when I'm ready to shoot & not in the way if I'm doing something besides shooting.
Frank
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 07:04:00 PM »
I use a Cordovan tab & I really like it. It's there when I'm ready to shoot & not in the way if I'm doing something besides shooting.
Frank
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 07:28:00 PM »
I use both. Tab in warmer weather, glove with another glove pulled over it (with the shooting fingers cut off) in colder weather. If it is really cold I keep the tab inside a wool shooting mitten ready to come out through the finger slot. I get better groups when target shooting with the tab.
Member NCBA

Offline cnorth

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 08:18:00 PM »
Use to shoot glove until.this year...for me the black widow split finger tab is perfect..i seem to get a smoother release..
Trust in the Lord with all of thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.  Proverbs 3: 5

TOELKE WHIP HS 48 @28, 60"
TOELKE WHIP 50 @ 28, 64"     
BROWNING WASP 45 @ 28
BLACK WIDOW PMA III 51 @ 28, 62"

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 09:03:00 PM »
I like tabs. I have tried cordovan tabs and wasn't wild about them. Believe it or not my favorite is the cheap tabs made by Neet Archery all leather with a rubber finger separator. This tab just feels right to me.
James Kerr

Offline perry f.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 09:04:00 PM »
I always shot a glove, I tried a few tabs but didn't like them. Bought a Fred Eichler tab to try this year and absolutely love it. My hand sweats a lot in a glove and I feel like it holds scent. The tab is less expensive and less sweat. Also quieter to put on and take off!

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 09:09:00 PM »
Many proponents on both sides.

Giving both tabs and gloves a fair shot may reveal your personal preference and then you may find yourself liking both.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 09:22:00 PM »
my thoughts are;   tab for shorter bows and gloves for the longer bows,
   with a glove you have leather between your fingers wich causes more pinch, so use a tab for shorter bows to elimanate the pinch.  i dont like gloves with seems on the sides of the finger stalls , it just adds to the discomfort.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 09:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by arrow30:
my thoughts are;   tab for shorter bows and gloves for the longer bows,
   with a glove you have leather between your fingers wich causes more pinch, so use a tab for shorter bows to elimanate the pinch.  i dont like gloves with seems on the sides of the finger stalls , it just adds to the discomfort.
I have to agree here. I have been shooting a cordovan tab for several years with my Kanati and Orion, but it just wasn't thick enough with my Mahaska. So I bought a Big Shot Elk glove that I've been breaking in with my new-to-me Shelton. So far, I like it. I also think it will be better during cold weather.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline AB3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2011, 10:23:00 PM »
Lots of good replies.Thanks for all the post so far.I think I will try a tab after this and probably a new glove too.Just gotta figure out witch ones.I got to thinking my old glove is over 20 years old.
62" Horne TD Longbow 50#

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2011, 10:35:00 PM »
Like I said in my earlier post I have tried a lot of the other tabs out there, but for me the best one was those that are not really high quallity but they work best for me. So try all gloves and tabs if you can just cause something is better for everyone else it may not be for you.
James Kerr

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2011, 10:55:00 PM »
Lately I've been using Black Widow tabs with an added nock spacer.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2011, 11:00:00 PM »
i use a SAM tab...i've used one for years, and it works great for me.
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline rp65

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2011, 11:06:00 PM »
Big shot glove.Very tough, yet smooth.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2011, 12:09:00 AM »
Started out with a glove in 1964, but switched over to a tab in 1965.

My tab of choice is a Bateman split finger cordovan tab with a rubber finger spacer.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline WDELongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2011, 12:17:00 AM »
I am getting back into trad archery after a long absence.  I have been shooting daily and have tested several gloves and tabs (from the cheap ones up to the ones costing $30-40).  Believe it or not, but a cheap tab ($12 or so I think) is the clear winner for me.  It is cordovan and has the plastic separator, but I removed it.  I would advise trying several out, and something will emerge as the right choice for you.  I inwardly want one of these latest and greatest to outperform the cheap one, but the cheap tab wins every time.  I think it is by Neet

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2011, 12:23:00 AM »
I used a glove for years, but switch to a a tab a year or so ago, and I like it better! To each is own.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2011, 02:17:00 AM »
Originally posted by Friend:
Many proponents on both sides.

Giving both tabs and gloves a fair shot may reveal your personal preference and then you may find yourself liking both.
X 2 ..at least

I use a tab.
EW Bateman cordovan with spacer and leather finger loop.

It lasts a long time and I can flip it out of the way/ take it off with minimal fuss.

Also flipping it out of the way helps me get my fingers nestled right into a chemical warmer in cold weather.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©