3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: rubber boots for long distance?  (Read 908 times)

Offline Catskill Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
rubber boots for long distance?
« on: December 20, 2011, 07:38:00 PM »
I am looking for a rubber boot to hunt rugged hills and soggy lowlands in the Adirondacks with all day comfort (if there is such a thing).  They need to be supportive and comfortable with no slop or rubbing for covering 5-10 miles in a day.  They would be used for up to 5 days in a row. They would also need to be at least moderately insulated.

Am I wishful thinking, or does such a boot exist? Money is not an object.

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: rubber boots for long distance?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 07:41:00 PM »
LL Bean Hunting Shoe, sounds like you need at least the 12" model. Most comfortable rubber bottom boot I have used and the they last a long time and they can be resoled.
Member NCBA

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 07:44:00 PM »
I think you will need to go with something lace up (Schnees, Kenetrek, LLBean, to fit that bill. I would lean towards starting with the LLBean because of their gaurantee and ease of return.

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 07:45:00 PM »
Lacrosse or Cabelas Duratrax. The Duratrax were WAY comfortable but the Lacrosses lasted one season longer.

If money were no object, I'd take the Duratrax for comfort.
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline Catskill Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 08:07:00 PM »
I have had the L.L. Beans, nice boots, but they don't have the support required to walk long distances on rough terrain.  I am looking for something with more ankle protection.

Offline Red4arm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 08:15:00 PM »
Lace up boots are the only ones good for distance. A lot of lace up boots out there with rubber bottoms fit the bill.

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 08:24:00 PM »
I lived in LaCrosse Alpha Burly Sport knee-high rubber boots for a week-long moose hunt in Alberta. Best all rubber boot I've ever tried.

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 08:31:00 PM »
FYI - the LL Bean foot bed is much improved over the ones offered 10-15 years ago. I add an arch support to mine because I have plantar fascitis trouble.
Member NCBA

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 08:36:00 PM »
If all rubber, make sure you dry them out if cold outside. Your sweat will collect in them quickly when walking that much and they can often still be wet by morning. If no boot dryers are available, stuff newspapers or paper towels in there to help collect the moisture..........
David M. Conroy

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 08:37:00 PM »

I have been hunting late season bulls, and have been hiking up this mountain from the bottom. My Kamik Hunters, made in Canada for Cabelas have been great. Rated for 40 above thru 40 below zero. They have removable wool felt liners to dry them out. The real nice thing is they are only $50.

They are real comfy and I still can't believe the rough country I hike in and up wearing these things. My feet never have been sore.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline rg176bnc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 08:50:00 PM »
Gotta second the Alpha Burleys.  Wore mine pheasant hunting this year.  Wouldnt hesitate to do it again.

Offline 57HOP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2011, 08:51:00 PM »
I've been VERY happy with Muck's wetlands - light weight, warmer than felt lined Sorels, great tread for climbing and descending in snow, waterproof to the knee.
I used my only pair for almost all the six seasons, start to finish, including a total of 5 weeks in the 'Dacks, tracking the big bucks through the snow. 3 to 10 day hunts, each day 5 to 12 miles busting steep terrain, witch hobble, and the green sh!t. From negative temps up to the 40's. I had no problems with blisters or sore feet. No snow this year, or last, so we didn't go.
Finally the neoprene inside wore out at the heel and did start to rub me wrong...
Retired 'em this year and, sadly, have yet to replace them. Been gettin by with some Bean boot knock offs by Redhead since it has been so warm all season.

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2011, 08:55:00 PM »
If you have sweaty feet, any rubber boots, LL Bean included, translates into miserable foot. My. 02.
Find another boot.
To paraphrase Capt. Quint, "I'll never put a rubber boot on again". LOL

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2011, 09:09:00 PM »
LaCrosse , forget the muck boots I hve both and the mucks are warmer but not made for walking.
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2011, 09:10:00 PM »
I have been happy with My muck boots as well. although I have not walked more than 4 miles in the Adk's with them yet  and I have never hunted more than 2 days consecutively so cannot account for moisture build up.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Catskill Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2011, 09:15:00 PM »
57HOP, sounds like you have been-there done-that.  This is exactly what I am talking about. Why have you not replaced them?

Offline Igor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2011, 09:22:00 PM »
I wore Lacrosse alpha burly boots for a week in the BWCA this spring and thought them a sucess for a rubber boot. Supportive and tough - we did a couple of nasty rocky portages....

><>
Glenn
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding In all your ways submit to him and he will direct your paths

Offline doubleo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2011, 09:26:00 PM »
I'm with Knobby for the Lacrosse boots. But i recently purchased the Muck Woody Sports which i like also. Both are very comfortable and light weight.
Wisconsin Traditional Archers Member

Offline JDinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2011, 09:27:00 PM »
I like Lacrosse alpha burly boots.
I supinate and the boot allows my foot to roll which is more comfortable for me than a stiff boot.
It's a rubber boot, so if your walking a long way, your feet are going to sweat.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2011, 09:27:00 PM »
Decide on how much traction you need some rubber boots are hopeless. I have a pair of LL Beans somewhere in the cellar-if I hunted on flat ground and did not walk very far they would be great!   :bigsmyl:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©