3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: good source for poc ?  (Read 330 times)

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
good source for poc ?
« on: July 18, 2007, 02:16:00 AM »
I am a point of total confusion; I have shot a traditional bow for decades; but as time goes on; what I shoot out of it- has changed.
 I have tried all kinds of woods; and like cedar. I shoot a 2216 shaft at 31 inches with perfection - and it seems that the match to that: is an equal length 70-74 pound 11/32 cedar.
 Thing is according to all the charts I am under-spined by a good ten pounds.
 Now I find RC archery has upped the price of heavey spine shafts.
 My 70-74 are considered heavy spine.
Where is the magic place to buy poc as reasonable as possible?
 Why do my 70 to 74 pound shafts shoot so well; when the reccommended spine is so much more?
 ( I shoot 74# at full draw - 31 inches)
        ??????????
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: good source for poc ?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 10:34:00 AM »
First of all, don't be misled by the charts. Most of them are WAY too heavy for traditional equipment. A good one can be found on Foxfire Archery's website.

Second, if something is shooting well for you, go with it. All bows are different, and what shoots well for you may not shoot well for someone else.

Rogue River Archery made the best shafts I have used, but they are no longer in business. They sold their equipment to Wapiti Archery, and from all accounts their work is as good as Rogue River was.

Good luck!
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 12:39:00 AM »
Check with Lamont at the Footed Shaft. His prices are usually good and he can help you get the right spine. A great guy to deal with too.

http://www.users.qwest.net/~footedshaft/
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Cutty47

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 01:55:00 AM »
What bow are you shooting, Brian?  Depending on how far you're cut from center, you easily could be right on at ten pounds under.

I'm new to woodies and still trying to learn as much as possible about them, and so far one thing I've learned is if they're flying great, don't worry about it...lol...

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 06:13:00 AM »
Its a bamboo longhunter - a Quillian bow. Its 60 pounds at 28 inches; but I draw back 31 if I am in the position to do so. I use a dacron string; 18 strand.
 I was kind of surprised that the price had gone from 25 to 33 a dozen. Yes; I notice that kind of thing on my income.
 It is funny that I have been told that my 2216 is too light an arrow - but they shoot so sweet; and so does a 11/32 poc. I have been shooting the same set up for 30 years; and probably ten thousand arrow flings ago; I got used to the set up.
  If I tell someone I am shooting 74 pounds; they say my arrow is to light to hunt with; if I say I am drawing back 55 pounds; they say the arrow is a heavy hunting arrow....
  I ussually will carry one aluminum arrow because the arrow in the far forward position in my bow quiver will bend if I rest it on my leg while stand hunting- if the arrow is wood.
 With both arrows shooting the same out to 33 yards; and both performing perfectly on deer; elk; bear (and grouse with a rubber blunt)- I don't feel the need to change.
  I can start elk hunting here on August 1st- so I am counting pennies - even though my quiver is full right now  :)
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline rbbhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 07:53:00 AM »
You might check out Hickory Creek arrows.  He's a sponser here.
RBBHUNT
"Those who will trade liberty for
security, deserve niether" B. Franklin (a long time ago and still valid)

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 10:28:00 AM »
It sounds like you have the right combination for YOU. Spine is just a relative number. Correct spine will vary depending on the bow and the archer. If they have been working for you for this long, I certainly wouldn't change a thing. I know what you are talking about. My bows like a lighter spine than they are "supposed to" as well, even though I draw the standard 28". Must just be the way we shoot.   :rolleyes:
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 11:19:00 AM »
Brian:
I'm somewhat confused by your posts. You say you are shooting 74#@31" however your next post says the bow you are shooting is 60#@28" drawing to 31" that should equait to 66#@31" not 74# unless that bow stacks something fierce.
Also remember shafts are spined (AMO standard) at 28" so your 70/74# shaft will actually be 55/59@31". If your bow's shelf is cut 1/4" or more less than center, I'm not suprised they work.
Your just over the hill from me, so if you need some help stop by some day, I'd be happy to see what I can do.
Bob
Man must "believe" in something!  I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©