3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Quiet  (Read 231 times)

Offline Scattergun2570

• Trad Bowhunter
Quiet
« on: December 21, 2011, 05:16:00 PM »
I would like to know how you guys determine where to place cat whiskers on your string. Thanks

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Quiet
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 05:25:00 PM »
On my recurves I move them around a little to see if I find a sweet spot. Probably just in my mind. They usually end up somewhere around 10 inches from the loop.

On my longbow(54") I just put them where they look good. About 7-8 inches from the loop.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 05:54:00 PM »
Some folks divide the string into quarters and put the silencers on the upper and lower quarter.  For example, on a 60-inch string, the quarters are 15 inches from either nock.  Some divide the string into thirds, in which case the silencers would fall 20 inches from each nock. I lean toward the four quarters method.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 06:36:00 PM »
On my two recurves, yarn wool puffs made my bows more quiet than when I had rubber cat whiskers on them.

Just food for thought.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 07:47:00 PM »
String silencers do effect arrow tuning. I have moved mine out toward the tips to correct kicking up, etc. Works as long as there are no other impending problems like spine weight, etc.
Member NCBA

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 07:53:00 PM »
I've had good luck with (them) about 10" from the bow string grove... But I think the best way to have a bow shoot quiet is to use a "heavy" arrow... Kinda in the area of 10+ grains per pound draw weight.

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline BowHunterGA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 10:32:00 PM »
I usually measure approximatly half way between limb tip and nock and place them there. Use cat whiskers and yarn puffs but lately switching to all Hush Puppies. Really like them!

Offline Scattergun2570

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 10:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by BowHunterGA:
I usually measure approximatly half way between limb tip and nock and place them there. Use cat whiskers and yarn puffs but lately switching to all Hush Puppies. Really like them!
What happens when those Hushpuppies get wet?

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 12:12:00 AM »
I first try to find the brace height that is the quietest for a bow. Then I put the silencers in at the 1/4 mark. It works well for me on a variety of bows. I really haven't experimented with other spots on the string, though.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 12:32:00 AM »
If the Hushpuppies get wet,you just pluck the string a couple times,as with any silencer.

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2011, 05:51:00 AM »
On my 70 inch bows - at 15 inches from  each  knock whether they like it or not.    :D

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2011, 08:30:00 PM »
Catwhiskers are one of the easiest silencer  materials to tune.  Simply fold or roll them lengthwise and tie in a knot (moderate tightness) to the string about 8"-10" from each string loop (make them the same distance from the loops) while the bow is strung.  Next, begin sliding each of them towards the string center a half-inch at a time between each of your test shots, until you find the quietest spot on the string.  Once there just pull the knots tight and you're done.  Simple and effective.  You can trim them shorter if you like but I find the full-length whiskers work best.

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2011, 09:21:00 PM »
Ditto TSP...been doing that for years!

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2011, 12:22:00 PM »
I use to use cat whiskers set to 10" from each nock but am finding my bow likes the yarn silencers better.
James Kerr

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2011, 12:30:00 PM »
Vibrating strings (bow, guitar, piano, etc) have nodes at intervals along the string at 1/2, 1/3, 1/4 etc of the string length.  Best dampening of vibration will occur at those points.  I generally use the 1/4 distance, i.e., measure the string from each contact point with the limb and divide by 4--place the yarn puffs I use at 1/4 the distance from the ends.  I have used 1/3, a more major sound node, but it is a bit too close to my field of vision to suit me.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©