3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow Only Hunters?  (Read 1216 times)

Offline Mike Spaulding

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow Only Hunters?
« Reply #60 on: December 22, 2011, 11:35:00 AM »
Yep, bow only for a few years now.  Not opposed to folks hunting with guns, I just don't get the rush from it I do with a bow.

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: December 22, 2011, 12:05:00 PM »
Longbows and recurves for me for the last 10 years or so. That being said, I'll make sure my daughters can safely handle and shoot guns.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: December 22, 2011, 12:09:00 PM »
Personally I only hunt with a traditional bow. For some reason, I have a lot of patience when carrying one. I have no patience at all when hunting with any other weapon.

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: December 22, 2011, 12:12:00 PM »
I'm bow only.  Got all my rifle shooting itch scratched by the Army.  Don't have to clean and lube my recurve!

-Jeremy  :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: December 22, 2011, 01:58:00 PM »
I've hunted deer with a rifle once in the last 20 years or so. It was OK. Kinda loud. I still shoot (or shoot at) any coyote that gets in range of the house and keep an AR next to the back door.

For most of my life I've been a bird hunting fanatic, but not so much since my setter (and psychoanalyst) died. My wife still likes to hunt grouse with shotguns and this year I tried doing it with her with a bow and killed a fair number. One blue grouse treed and would not fly for her, she just couldn't see it, I didn't have flu flus, so I shot it with 1911.    "[dntthnk]"  

But I'll probably not go bang for quite awhile.
Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: December 22, 2011, 02:01:00 PM »
Haven't touched my Charles Daly O/U in many years. I was recently thinking of refurbishing it though. Been bows only for at least 20 years.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: December 22, 2011, 02:05:00 PM »
Yep, even have a special bird bow in production now! Even working on a prototype head for hunting geese and other flying birds over/with dogs.
TGMM-Family of the Bow

The quest to improve is so focused on a few design aspects & compensating for hunter ineptness as to actually have reduced a bow & arrow’s effectiveness. Nothing better demonstrates this than mech. BHs & speed fixated designs

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: December 22, 2011, 02:11:00 PM »
Pretty much bow only for 20 years or so, lost the thrill of whacking deer with a gun, just no challenge in it for me. Use to own a bunch of high dollar custom long range guns for coyotes and Prairie dogs but had to sell them all 10+ years ago.

I'll still pick up a shotgun every once in awhile for Quail & Dove but the last three times I went Quail hunting I did it with a bow..came home empty handed too. I swear missing them by inches is a thrill for me. My brother thinks am nuts.
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

« Reply #68 on: December 22, 2011, 02:53:00 PM »
I have not hunted with anything other than trad bows for many years. I don't like the noise of guns,I don't like the smell, I don't like how so many (myself included) are always trying to force a situation where they can shoot at game, I don't like the way some with guns immediately think they are a tough guys because they have a gun when there are mixed seasons going on, I don't like how people go out into the woods with guns and just shoot at anything and everything.  

However, everyone, and I mean everyone that is not intending on harming their fellow man or property, should have a gun and know how to use it.

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: December 22, 2011, 03:49:00 PM »
I haven't been gun hunting in about 4 years.  Not saying that I would never use any other type of weapon ever again.  But for now, I'm enjoying hunting with my longbow.

Offline DeCurry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: December 22, 2011, 04:09:00 PM »
Bow only for 2 years now when hunting 4-legged creatures.  I did use a shotgun earlier this year during dove season but have been strongly considering trying out hunting them with a bow for the frustration, er I mean fun, factor.
"I was raised on wolves milk, though it seems I sleep like a lamb."

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: December 22, 2011, 04:23:00 PM »
For big game it's been bow only since....1973. I did take 2 deer with my Flintlock back in '84 but haven't used it since. Since Bear hunting in Jersey is gun only, thinking about breaking it out again.

When my 2 buddies get together for our annual squirrel fest, we use .22's to fill the freezer in a hurry, then it's back to bowhunting them.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline soundman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: December 22, 2011, 04:29:00 PM »
Bow only. Gun hunted once didn't enjoy the hunt. bow only for 15 years and trad only about 5 years
Black Creek Siren 64"  55@28

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: December 22, 2011, 04:30:00 PM »
I have been bow only since i was introduced to trad hunting 4 years ago.

I sold 11 guns except for the 2 my Dad bought me when i was 9 and another one when i was 12.

I wanted to sell them both but there's just way to many memories and to many deer deer to count that i shot with one of them.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: December 22, 2011, 04:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by centaur:
I have a bunch of guns that reside in their cases, never seeing the light of day. I think the last animal I shot with a gun was a deer with a 30 30 in the early 90s. It's bows or nothing for me.
Better check em for rust and pitting. That's the best way to ruin one, storing in a closed case.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline elkhunter45

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: December 22, 2011, 05:21:00 PM »
For deer I did the bow only thing for 5 years, but went back to shooting a gun some when my son started to tag along when was around 5 years old. He is now big enough to hunt alone, so I am real close to going all bow on the hairy stuff. I am also an avid waterfowler, so I always have shot a shotgun in the flooded timber.
Predator Custom 60" 47#@28"

Offline bow loving man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: December 22, 2011, 05:29:00 PM »
Bow only here also!
"...on earth as it is in heaven..."

Offline Smithhammer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: December 22, 2011, 05:50:00 PM »
Bows, and shotguns for upland. Don't even currently own a rifle.

Offline stik&string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: December 22, 2011, 07:49:00 PM »
All bow for me too, very happy my state now allows bow use during the gun season!

Online Chumster

• BOEUF 2019
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: December 22, 2011, 08:03:00 PM »
Sold my rifle three years ago, hadn't used it in 35 years.
The rancher I lease from keeps telling me I should use a rife if I want a deer. Still heading to my stand with my bow in hand and high expectations. Three years later no shots but there is always next time.
Never wait too long!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©