3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tradgang coyote thread  (Read 605 times)

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Tradgang coyote thread
« on: December 21, 2011, 06:18:00 PM »
There have been threads about everything on here in the past. It is my believe they are a great trophy with a trad bow so lets see them.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tradgang coyote thread
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 06:33:00 PM »

An oldie but a goodie. This is me and a songdog that I called up while elk hunting in the Washakie Wilderness of Wyoming in the late 80s or early 90s. This was one very surprised coyote when she realized she had been fooled up to about 6 feet. I think I came to half draw and shot her as her eyes got that 'deer in the headlights' look.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 06:39:00 PM »
For those who post in this thread I'd like to know who purposely seeked them out or called them in and got one vs. "It walked under my deer stand" or "By my blind"...Huge difference!

I use to hunt them with a gun for a living for 3 winters, I've shot 3 with a bow that I called in and I use to try a bunch, it's been a long time for me though. One of the smarter animals out there for sure.
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 06:46:00 PM »
Got this one last year hunting on the ground at about 5-6 yards away. She was just coming down the trail and stoped and looked away from me. I'll take lucky any day.

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 06:54:00 PM »
I was glassing for muley bucks a few years ago, saw a coyote messing around down below me. I nocked an arrow, lip squeeked it in to 10 yards, and shot it through it's chest. It made it only 20 yards, but in a rock crevice, and I couldn't fit inside to get it out.  :(
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 06:55:00 PM »
It's been a good year for me with the yotes. Shot this guy while on deer stand.

That 160 snuffer sure makes tracking easy.

“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 07:05:00 PM »
That was actually the first of 2 this year. Cant seem to figure out how to upload phone photos of the other one.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 07:24:00 PM »
Lets see, the first is a Wyoming coyote from waay back in 1992.  I caught him napping in a coulee while Iwas bunny hunting and luckily had a couple broadheads in the quiver.

This second dog is from Alaska and I still-hunted into her howls.  Doesn't quite look like a coyote.... maybe its some Iditarod racers lost sled dog   ; ^ )

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 07:33:00 PM »
Sweet Steve  :thumbsup:

I kill a few hundred a year, but not with a bow. I have been trying on the weekends when the wind is not blowing 50 mph.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2011, 07:52:00 PM »
I think I got the download from my phone right. Here is the second one this year. Pinned him to the ground.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2011, 08:37:00 PM »
I spotted this guy hunting mice in a field. I brought him into bow range by making kissing sounds on the back of my hand. It took 3 arrows to make him give up the ghost.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2011, 08:59:00 PM »
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2011, 09:01:00 PM »
Saw this guy packing something bloody, waited til he got around downwind and sqeeked him up. He stopped and buried the morsel he had, then came in to get the easy meal, shot him at 15 yds with a 64" d/r from a treestand.

FAST FORWARD ONE WEEK

This one ran a big doe in, she stopped under my stand, I thought a buck was chasin, but looked over my shoulder and saw him. Wondered what the heck is he doin in this game.

She took off and he locked in on her again and here he came. Passing me at full run, I drew, made a kissy noise, and he turned up the low ditch bank to me and stopped at 18 yds.

Shot him under the chin with a Delta with the same 64" test bow as the other yote. He ran 20 yds and I thought, how the heck did that miss him. Then he head-on-ed a tree and was done.

Bro John's yote from 2010 , he almost got 2 that day, clipped a limb and grazed #2

60" d/r 50# @ 27"

Mine from 2009, shot with a 62" d/r test bow osage with amb boo core, same 600 grain cx 250 with 250 up front , Delta with steel adapter.

I've called in 2 others and bowshot them, but no pics, sorry!  :dunno:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2011, 09:06:00 PM »
Saw this one down in a creek bottom mousing. A lip squeak brought him in.

This one was moving through willows when I saw him and took off on a stalk towards him. It worked.

I was hog hunting in Texas and spotted this dog while slipping through the mesquite. He came to a lip squeak.

I've had 3 coyotes approach my tree stands this season and every one made me before offering a shot. I never have had that work.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2011, 09:19:00 PM »
Earlier this year as I was walking back to my truck I saw eye's in my headlamp.. There were several coyotes around a long dead cow.. This one got a bit to curious for his own good..

Offline OS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2011, 09:23:00 PM »
Was able to call this big female in on a brisk Feb. evening. St. Joe River Longbow 54@28 60", 2219 180gr. Magnus 1 two blade. 12 yard walking shot

It's not the size of the game you take that means Success!
It's the experience of pursuing game that give true Outdoor Success!!!!!

Offline instinctivebowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2011, 09:34:00 PM »
im 0 for 14, it is really high on my to do list

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2011, 09:45:00 PM »

Here's one I shot last year. I was specifically hunting this dog and a bigger male. I shot him at about 18 yards. Sorry about the crappy photo, my wife didn't want to get out of bed to take a picture for me. I think he weighed around 35 pounds. I've got some better photos of some of the others I've shot, but I've misplaced the memory card they're saved on.

The skeleton of this particular coyote is being placed in the museum of a local university. I'll be taking some photos of it in March. One of its front feet had bone cancer in it. The bone looks like a sponge.

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2011, 10:04:00 PM »
Here's another one I shot early this fall. I was in a stand in a live oak and this little coyote came slipping by right underneath me.. When he got out about 10 yards he was moving straight away from me. The arrow hit him above the hips and went forward into the chest. He didn't go far..

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2011, 10:15:00 PM »
Where's Thumper Dunker

doug77

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©