3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: formmaster?  (Read 136 times)

Offline bayhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
formmaster?
« on: December 21, 2011, 06:29:00 PM »
do formmasters work? and furthmore do they work well enough to justify the forty dollar cost.
Thanks

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: formmaster?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 06:40:00 PM »
Well for a fact some of the best archers/hunter's in the world have used it, but I don't know that they had to "justify the forty dollar cost."  And I think you would get better responses in the "Shooter's Forum on this
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 07:13:00 PM »
They definitely work. It is very revealing to see how much, or rather how little, you are actually pulling with your back. It's a good training aid. You might be able to make one.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 07:22:00 PM »
As said above, do a search in the Shooter's Forum for formaster....you'll find lots of threads and ways to build your own.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline LA Trapper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 10:33:00 PM »
Yes they work and I built one using a dish towel. It makes a world of diference in your accuracy.  Yes. check the shooters forum.  Heck it is Christmas.  If you are like me, my wife is looking get me something I will use.  Tell someone!
Lifetime Member Bayou State Bowhunters
Lifetime Member Louisiana Traditional Bowmen

The path of least resistance is what makes men and rivers crooked.

Offline Ed Q

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 04:11:00 PM »
One thing about the form masters is that there are two kinds.  I believe the "Rigid" form master is the one that's supposed to be used with trad bows and the other one, which uses a surgical-tubing/bungee type cord, is supposed to be used with compounds.

I have the Rigid form master and use it indoors at home without an arrow whenever it's raining out and I can't practice outside in the backyard.  So in that sense, it's great as I can still practice my release without dry firing.

Aside from the much lower cost, I think home-made form masters can be better than the one I bought in that the one I bought comes with metal adjustable screws to adjust the length of the cord.  And those screws can hit your face or arm pretty bad and break your skin.  So you can either wear an arm guard on your drawing arm to prevent the metal screw from cutting your arm and wrist up, or you can undo everything, cut the cord to length (and hope you measured correctly, and then re-install it (which makes you think you could have just made one yourself for much less).

Despite that, I really like it and would recommend it to anyone wanting to add it as part of the shooting/training regimen.  It definitely lets you know if you're overbowed.  I can easily draw my right-hand 45# bow using only my back muscles, but when I switch to my left-hand 45# bow, I really struggle when drawing only with my back muscles.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©