3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My First Bow Recurve?  (Read 181 times)

Offline PHONEMANINDIANA

• Trad Bowhunter
My First Bow Recurve?
« on: December 21, 2011, 07:59:00 PM »
Well I am new to TradGang and love what I have seen so far. I am trying to get my first Traditional bow. I will be going to the Kalamazoo expo at the end of January but I don't know where to start.

I have hunted with my compound for 10 years now. I have a 31" draw length and pull 60#. I took my first deer ever this season. Yes 10 seAsons to get my first. But I refused to use a gun

I am looking for all advice on length of bow and draw weight.

I really like Morrison ILF metal and wood risers. I was thinking about starting out with a low weight to develop the best form and then move up. I thought ILF limbs would be the best way to do this. What weight is a good start? What is a good price point to spend starting out?

Looking forward to getting started on this great adventure.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: My First Bow Recurve?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 08:14:00 PM »
Sounds like you have a plan.  I think going to Kalamazoo and trying a bunch of bows will be your best bet.  The ILF riser will probably match what you are used to the best, but you might find you like a a different grip style or a wood riser.  So many options, trying as many variations as possible will not only be fun, but informative.  Good luck on the journey, and congrats on your first deer.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 08:49:00 PM »
If your draw length remains at 31" with a recurve, demo shoot as many different overall length bows as you can so you don't experience a case of "finger pinch".
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 09:06:00 PM »
Your in for a treat at Kzoo.  Hit all of the booths and shoot as many bows as you can.  Then come back and buy one from me. LOL

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline PHONEMANINDIANA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 09:17:00 PM »
Mike,
  Will you be at Kzoo?

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 09:21:00 PM »
Welcome from Kentucky
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 09:32:00 PM »
Welcome! I wish I was close enough to go to KZoo, from what I hear you're in for a great time.

All your questions will be answered there no doubt.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 10:49:00 AM »
I have a 31" draw and found that i like to stick to 62" and longer bows. 62" and 64" being my best bet. Now there are a lot of guys that shoot shorter bows, we are all not the same but for me the above lengths work the best. Try a bunch at the Kzoo and see what works best for you.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 10:58:00 AM »
You will probably find that your draw length shortens somewhat with a traditional bow. Stance and how you grip the bow will give you a shorter draw as compared to a compound. You will want to back off on the weight, as you indicated. Since you will be lucky enough to go to Kalamazoo, you will be able to talk to lots of very knowledgable folks, test lots of different bows, and see what weight feels comfortable for you. Good luck and welcome.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline PHONEMANINDIANA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 09:42:00 PM »
Thanks so much to everyone. I am very excited about Kalamazoo and very excited to spend my free time on TradGang!

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2011, 08:27:00 AM »
Stop by the Hill Country Bows booth and say Hello!

Welcome to Tradgang, and best of luck on your search!
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©