3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bear "C" take down NEED HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 154 times)

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
Bear "C" take down NEED HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!
« on: December 21, 2011, 11:35:00 PM »
A friend of mine bought a bow at a garage sale and was wondering when it was made and how much its worth.  So I thought this would be a good place to start.   I dont have any pics but he did tell me its in great condition.  The older lady there told him it was her husbands and he shot it a couple times at targets and then put it in the closet and its been there since I dont know when.  I'm guessing since the 70's

Heres the info I have serial number  3-7204  and then a # 3 on the limbs.  

thanks for the help.

Shawn

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
Re: Bear "C" take down NEED HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 02:23:00 AM »
If you can get a picture, you might post it on the Collectible forum and ask for help identifying the year, model, or other info. but not price or value as it is not allowed.  It is pretty hard to tell much from a serial no.  They made a wood handle for a short period 1970-72, and a later magnesium.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Chris Wilson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 03:42:00 AM »
Unfortunately, it's often hard with Bear bows to date them just by serial number.  Good dating often requires the model, serial number, coin type, decal descriptions, even glass color and riser woods can be used in many models to determine approximate year of production. What I can tell you is that the "C" handle was the longest riser of the three types made and that #3 limbs were considered longs. Here are a few resources I have book marked for reference.  Hope it helps.

http://reviews.eb*y.com/How-To-Date-Your-Fred-Bear-Bow?ugid=10000000001896218  

http://www.stickbow.com/stickbow/Collector/beararchery/
"You're either trained or untrained.  When it hits the fan, you will always fall to the level of your training."

Offline Chris Wilson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 03:49:00 AM »
The first link is missing a letter in the eb*y due to censor here on TG.  I think you can figure out what letter goes there and do a cut and paste.  It's a pretty good reference for bear bow history.
"You're either trained or untrained.  When it hits the fan, you will always fall to the level of your training."

Offline OldSkoolArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 07:06:00 AM »
Is the handle Wood or Metal?

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 07:39:00 AM »
Thanks guys for the replies I looked around and found most of what had already been posted.  I told him I needed pics and more info.

The riser is magnesium. and will try and figure out the color of the coin and if its raised up a little.

Shawn

Offline OldSkoolArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 07:42:00 AM »
Shawn, As far as the coins go all the coins on the Magnesium Risers will be raised (more of a plastic button). The colors were either silver or copper/gold. The earliest Mag risers didn't have coins but had little black bears on the limb latches.

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 03:28:00 PM »
Check your PMs/email.
John

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©