3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: DIY spot and stalk mulie hunt in South Dakota??  (Read 171 times)

Offline 8leg-lover

• Trad Bowhunter
DIY spot and stalk mulie hunt in South Dakota??
« on: December 22, 2011, 01:29:00 AM »
Well I'm going for sure next September. Have an outfitter selected if needed. Anybody ever do it DIY style in SD. I'm not sure on the public land situation up there. Any info is greatly appreciated as always!!
Carl Kossuth

"Currently shooting whatever strikes my fancy"

"PERFECT practice makes perfect"

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: DIY spot and stalk mulie hunt in South Dakota??
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 02:03:00 AM »
I've done it several times with about 50% success.  Be sure your choice has plenty of land with rough terrain.  Nothing is tougher than trying to sneak across gently rolling hills.  You need the gullies and ridges to have abrupt edges.

Even when I didn't get anything I had a great time.  There is quite a bit of public land, but the pressure can be pretty high.  Surprisingly, one of the best times is when rifle antelope opens.  Seems to move the deer around and for whatever  reason the bowhunters seem to avoid it.

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 07:04:00 AM »
There was a PBS membership hunt in central SD last October and just about everybody had chances on mule deer plus whitetails, and even turkeys.  We did the best on the walk-in areas on private ranches; the state provides a very handy booklet that shows all public and walk-in private ranches.  No need for an outfitter.
Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 07:50:00 AM »
The state has some pretty awesome vistas, and way different east to west.  I have yet to score on a mule deer out there, but been close a few times.  I have only ever gone during the gun season and everybody thought I was nuts carrying my longbow.  

ChuckC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©