3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Why do I wax my string?  (Read 539 times)

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Why do I wax my string?
« on: December 23, 2011, 03:41:00 PM »
I've always waxed my string.
Just because I was told to.

Why should it be done?

Is it to lube it internally?

Seems many waxes pick up and hold dirt that'll get worked into the string and cause abrasion..

If it was dry I'd think the chances are high it would just fall off/out.

I'm using dyneema material for strings if it makes a difference.

People talk about waterproofing the string.

I can understand with natural material strings but HMPE strings aren't affected by water...

So why should I keep doing it..?

Thanks    :thumbsup:
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline bucksbuouy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why do I wax my string?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 03:54:00 PM »
The wax helps the individual strands stick together, there by creating tension and strength.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 04:11:00 PM »
Is it to lube it internally?
Yes.  Wax is a lubricant, and will extend the life of your string.  Formula 8125 has GORE material blended in for lubrication, but I'd still wax it.  Excess wax will shoot out pretty quickly.

Chad

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 04:13:00 PM »
I appreciate the reply.

I mean no disrespect by saying this..

I wouldn't think that wax would be able add any appreciable strength to the string especially considering the loads we put on them.

Maybe it does...but it is just wax....

Thank you
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 04:20:00 PM »
hey Chad,

Yeah, the gore fiber they use now is like teflon which made me think wax was for lube.

Seems many waxes are too thick to really get into the string.

I heat the waxes, rub it in good but it really doesn't get in there all that well.
I see there are some new liquid "waxes" that are more silicone than anything..good lube.

I just got done rubbing some Obennauf's (sp?) heavy duty leather paste on my string.

Melted in really well, only slightly tacky right now when the bow was 50˚.

I don't know how it'll be when it's 90˚ out....

Offline Scott Teaschner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 04:58:00 PM »
I would not use the Obennoufs on your string it does contain oils. I can not see oils being good for strings. I would stick with hard wax. If you are worried about dirt Obennoufs will collect way more dirt. I can not see wax as adding any strength to a string. The strength comes from the individual strands.If you do not wax a string it becomes fuzzy from fraying. The wax to me prevents fraying for the most part.
Don't ever try to be like any body else and don't ever be affraid to take risks. Waylon Jennings
Honesty is something you cant wear out. Waylon Jennings

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 05:02:00 PM »
Scott,

I understand the Obenaufs might collect more dirt.

Why don't you think the oils would be good?
I'd think they would do the best job of lubing the string.

Not arguing with you.
Just wondering what your reasoning is.

Thanks

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 05:34:00 PM »
Wax holding the string together (especially flemish) is a common misconception.

BCY and Saunders offer some excellent string maintenence wax--soft enough to work into the string.  I've never used a liquid wax, but using regular string maintenence wax (honestly not as often as I should) strings last a year or more.  I've heard of them lasting several years with regular shooting...for obvious reasons I don't use mine that long.

Chad

Offline donw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2011, 05:59:00 PM »
mostly to help keep moisture OUT of the strands
i was told by a sales person, when purchasing an out-of-date newpaper that it was out-of-date...

i told her "i've been told i'm out-of-date, too"...

does that mean i'm up-to-date?

Offline Scott Teaschner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2011, 07:23:00 PM »
I do not know all the ingrediants in Obenaufs. Some oils will cause problems. When oiling leather you have to watch for synthetic oils that can be in products. They will attack the threads(polyesters and nylon). The thread deteriorates over time weakening the stitch. I do not know all the types of materials in making bow strings but I would not chance it with oiling. I just can not see saturateing a string being any good. I am not saying it will but I would be aware that it could cause more stretch and possibly react with the string material and destroy the material over time. Some things are just not ment to be oiled. Obenaufs is some what of a solid but it melts down with just the warmth of your hand rubbing it. Wax has to be burnished in. Also you say lubercating it. I dont know for sure but I dont think that is an issue. For the most part the strands are fixed and not really working aginst each other. I would think the wax is protecting the outside from abrasives and rubbing in just using your bow. They just get fuzzy and the wax is just a dressing. I dont know you wax a car to protect the finish but you dont oil it  :goldtooth: .
Don't ever try to be like any body else and don't ever be affraid to take risks. Waylon Jennings
Honesty is something you cant wear out. Waylon Jennings

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2011, 08:27:00 PM »
Waxing can also lessen the noise.  Upon release, an unwaxed string would have the affect of the loose stands vibrating, creating more noise.  A waxed string keeps the strands together lessening the noise.
Lon Scott

Offline guspup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2011, 08:34:00 PM »
A hair dryer melts it in nice and even. I wax to prevent the fuzz... and keep the string looking new.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2011, 08:45:00 PM »
Always use Beeswax on my dacron strings and synthetic on my TS-1 FF strings. I personally believe in string maintence especially with Dacron. Work it in real good, apply some heat and work it some more. They do last a long time with care.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2011, 10:03:00 PM »
Why overthink an old axiom of archery? Apply beeswax, rub vigerously with a piece of leather and shoot your string with confidence it is protected. Why do you need scientific details and data? Not to create a dust up but you seem to overthink the simple game of archery on occaission.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2011, 10:28:00 PM »
You're right.

I like to think.
I like to do.
I like to think about what I do.
I like to think about why I do something and if it's the best way to do it.

Personally I believe the simple game of archery only appears simple to one that hasn't looked into what it takes to make and design a bow, figure out how to machine a broadhead, or figure out the technique and tools required to knap one for that matter.

How HMPE fibers are actually made...and what they are etc.

Some "rules" of old just don't apply anymore...or at least need to be amended....
Recurves are faster than longbows.
wool is the only thing to wear that's warm.
cedar is the best there is for arrows....etc

If someone wishes to float upon the calm suface of the ocean of archery that's fine.

I would rather dive in and take a look at the details.

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2011, 12:00:00 AM »
"Waxing" your string.

I didn't realize that was what they called it nowadays.    :biglaugh:
Otto

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2011, 12:09:00 AM »
Originally posted by Otto:
"Waxing" your string.

I didn't realize that was what they called it nowadays.     :biglaugh:  
:laughing:
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2011, 12:14:00 AM »
lol
   :biglaugh:

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2011, 07:49:00 AM »
"Hey, Dude... whatever waxes your string!!!"

(Sounds nicer than "Yo Mamma!")
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline bucksbuouy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2011, 11:44:00 AM »
Also at the moment of release the string loses tension for a fraction of a second and the strands come apart only to snap back together. This is the time of the greatest stress on the string. "The snap." Wax helps prevent the strands from coming apart (to a degree) and decreases stress.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©