3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Things I learned today....  (Read 1112 times)

Offline 8up

• Trad Bowhunter
Things I learned today....
« on: January 14, 2007, 10:40:00 PM »
My journey to kill a deer with traditional equipment will be a long one. Longer than I thought because I thought I was drawing 40 pounds now but its really only 34-35# according to the scale. Why? Because my draw is only 25" not 27 1/2" like when I draw my compound. Never dreamed I would lose 2 1/2" inches. I have alot more respect for guys pulling 55+ pounds. I hope to make it to 45# accuratly.

I learned I need to find a shop with a range and someone experienced with recurves to set my bow up with matching arrows for my draw.

I learned that this bear cub having double rest for either hand shooter is not as forgiving because its not close to center shot.

I am having fun shooting and practicing my form but it sure would be nice to have an instructor.

These are observations not complaints

My only complaint is my shoulder of my bow arms aches after about 500 shots this week
If God is your Co-pilot, change seats.

Offline Elusive One

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Things I learned today....
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 10:54:00 PM »
I agree with you... I would love to have someone who could show me some things and help me set up my bow.  Without this site i would be lost.  Thanks to all who share their knowledge so freely.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 11:06:00 PM »
Hang with it, the learning curve is very gentle and progress will come gradually.  Nice part is it is just as much fun regardless of how much you know or how good you are.  I would guess most guys here came to it the same way you did and have not looked back since.  Some still shoot both, and that's fine too.  It sure would be nice to find someone close, but there certainly is a wealth of knowledge to tap into here.  Never hesitate to ask whatever comes to your head.
Have fun!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 11:09:00 PM »
Ask the questions you need answered. Thats why we are all here. Remember that if this was easy everyone would do it. When the day comes and you've killed a deer with a trad bow all the work and effort just makes it that much sweeter.

In archery,

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 12:58:00 AM »
I have a 25" draw, too (damn these short arms!).  Once you are aware of it it's easy to make things work better.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline Mike Mason

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 10:43:00 AM »
You are not alone.  I began the journey about 2 years ago, with a fellow teacher who had a bow and wanted to make another.  It got my interest.  2 years, 10 bows(5 still intact), 2 trips to MOJAM, 1 to OJAM, and hours trying to learn to shoot later, I am at the owner of a functional BBO hunting bow that I made with the help of many others from a slat I cut out of some osage given away at OJAM last year because the rings were too close to make a selfbow.

I owe much thanks to many of the folks on this website who each helped me get to the point that I have been able to go hunting this season and enjoy each moment.  Ralph Renfro, Rocdoc, the boys at the OKIE camp, the Westvangs, Ferret, Dano, Timo, all, I owe each of you a round of thanks.

I have not gotten a deer, but got a shot at a turkey.  Followed the blood trail for 100 yds into the woods, and lost it. Never found the bird or the arrow.  Now I have to learn more about hunting, so I don't maim animals and turn them into coyote snacks.

And I continue to enjoy the journey.

Mike

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 11:53:00 AM »
We have a few Trad gangers from Tenn....
They should be along soon....
There bound to be someone close to you....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Jason Lester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2007, 03:12:00 PM »
There should be someone close to help you along. I know most trad shooters I have met are nice enough to give pointers (and not seem to forward)

If you were near OH I would help or one of the other tradgangers hanging around here.

There are some good books on it too.

Also don't forget, with a few pictures and even video people can help you out.
Jason Lester

Offline 8up

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2007, 03:00:00 AM »
From my short time into this trad shooters are a great bunch. AkDan gave me a contact here in TN and I hope to talk to him soon.

I have also met with rtherber and he gave me some pointers and he was very gernerous is giving me a bow that needs minor repair. I can't wait to get it.
If God is your Co-pilot, change seats.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©