3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A Christmas "Eve" Story...todays update!!!  (Read 1397 times)

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
A Christmas "Eve" Story...todays update!!!
« on: December 25, 2011, 01:47:00 PM »
First off, I'd like to wish everyone here a Merry Christmas!

Now to the hunt...

To say I've struggled this fall with the deer would be a huge understatement. Even though I reached my major goal of the season...to kill a deer while Cade was with me and with Chris' bh that I'd already killed 3 turkeys with...this season has been filled with a bunch of factors that have led to next to no deer within shooting distance.

I'm not talking about only big bucks either, I mean deer period!  I can't remember a season like this one in all of my 30+ yrs. of bowhunting!

I never lost faith, and everytime I went hunting, I always felt as thought "today was going to be the day"...but day after day, the struggle continued...it had been over 2 months since I'd released an arrow at a deer! Highly unusual for me!

We all want to kill big bucks, and I usually hold out for a good one or 2 during the season, but another of my major goals of the year was to use the 3blade VPA broadheads that were once owned by Chris Surtees as much as possible.

Like mentioned earlier, I'd been using the same one since spring turkey season. It was used for 2 spring gobblers, then a fall hen in early Oct., and in mid Oct. the same BH once again was used to kill a doe while Cade watched the whole thing!

I was also honored by Chris' Dad larry, to be  given the great fortune of recieving one of Chris' Lone Wolf Climbers to hunt with.

So, of course I wanted to kill a deer while hunting out of the Lone Wolf, and with Chris' bh.......

Yesterday morning found me walking uphill on a two track trail before first light. A cold front had hit during the night and the frost was very heavy.

Although I couldn't see the deer in the dark, with the wind in my face, my nose was telling me there was a deer close by in front of me. I didn't really want to spook the deer, but with daylight approaching, I had to get to my chosen tree of the morning.

I continued on only about 10yds. and could suddenly hear the deer turn and bound off...I smiled knowing my senses were all keen this morning and I continued on...

Soon I was wrapping the traction belt of Chris' Lone Wolf climber around the big oak. I remember thinking to myself that it was already getting light to the east, and wished I hadn't lolly-gagged so much getting ready and showering before my hour long trip south!

But I climbed up as quiet as I could, put on my KUIU Guide vest and jacket, nocked the arrow with Chris' bh and looked to the heavens as I'd done everytime I'd nocked it this fall...

In 2 previous hunts to this area, but not in this tree, I'd noticed that there was always a couple does that seemed to be coming from this area. But with the wind out of the NW, I knew that if they did come to me like I thought they would, the wind would be as close to being "wrong" as I possibly could get away with.

It's always risky, but it's really the best situation, the deer think they have the advantage of the wind. But with just the right set-up, we really do.

I also purposly set-up on the opposite side of the tree from where the deer would come from. I usually like to be on the side the I expect deer to come from. I really enjoy being able to watch them the whole time while prepping for a shot. But, being that it was so late in the season,and there was absolutely no cover up in the trees, I climbed high, and hoped the mass of the big oaks trunk would cover me until it was too late...
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A Christmas "Eve" Story...todays update!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2011, 02:00:00 PM »
OK brother, I'm awaiting this one.   :coffee:

Merry Christmas to you as well.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2011, 02:09:00 PM »
:campfire:
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2011, 02:15:00 PM »
...With the wind just barely moving, it was terribly quiet. I say "terribly" because in conditions like this deer can seem to hear any little sound that will give a hunter away. It's cool because we as hunters can hear a deer coming from quite a distance....who doesn't love the "crunch, crunch, crunch" of an approaching deer?

I wasn't settled in for more than 15 minutes when I heard something behind me. I'd already heard some squirrels rustling around, so at first I thought that's what it was...but it was a slower, less staccatto cadance.

I turned and looked around the trunk behind me and was surprized to see a doe walking right at me, and only 40yds. away already!

There was no doubt about whether I'd shoot or not, the freezer had way too much empty space, it was late season, I still had about all my tags....THIS WAS A MEAT HUNT!

I immediately reached for my Kwyk Styk "Cy"....but as I raised it off the rubber coated bow holder it made the slightest "squeek"...the deer froze...

I couldn't help but think, "oh no! don't blow this Curt!"

But within a few seconds she flicked her tail to the side, contiued on, walking directly at me.

With it coming so direct, I had to watch and wait to see what side of the tree it was going to pass on. If it came on the north side, I would have to turn all the way around in the stand to prepare for the shot. If it passed to the south side, I would hardly have to move, but the slightly moving wind out of the NW would make things  interesting very shortly.

At about 15 yards behind me, it looked as though she was going to pass to the north. I waited for her to get behind a tree and started to make my 180 degree turn in the stand.

I got around just in time to to see her come into view only 10yds behind, and slightly north...and she stopped again! She'd hit the scent I put out!

I'm not one to use scent at all, haven't in years. But with the way things had been going this season, I figured I'd try anything to change my luck.

Now with her locked up only ten yards away, and not in position for a shot, I hoped my decision to "try anything", wasn't about to bite me in the butt!
Curt } >>--->   

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2011, 02:28:00 PM »
Good writing Curt.  I'm loving it.  Late season doe hunts are some of my favorites.

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2011, 02:51:00 PM »
Same for me Curt. 30+ years, weird season for sure. Cant' buy a deer!

Sounds like something good happened!  :bigsmyl:  

Best to ya, rest of the season!

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2011, 03:10:00 PM »
She kept raising her nose high in the air trying to decipher what she was smelling...the tension and stress was building by the second...and although I live for these situations, I knew I wasn't going to get many more chances like this to fill up the freezer so late in the season.

My heart was pounding, and my mind raced ...."com'on, just a few more steps"...

After what seemed like a half hour, but was only about a minute, she started forward again...

She stopped again, but she was almost too close! I was about 20ft up in this tree, and she was only 5yds. from the base of the tree, and downhill below me and she stopped again...

I really wanted to shoot her after she passed by a bit. But now she was stopped again, barely broadside, and at an extreme angle down. I was afraid if I waited too long, something would go wrong....it was time...

I remember bending and focusing on a spot high, and very tight to the shoulder as I drew "Cy" to anchor...

At impact the non-mistakable "click" told me I'd hit exactly where I was looking and had probably clipped the back edge of the scapula. The pink feathers seemed to almost dissappear, but not quite.

She tore through the open hardwoods downhill and with every stride was putting her closer to my truck!

After about 80yds, she was slowing. At about 100yds. she stopped, right behind a line of trees about out of site. But I could tell she was stumbling. Then all was silent, although I couldn't see her because of the trees, I knew she had to be there.

Then it hit me, she'd taken the arrow carrying Chris'VPA bh with her. Hopefully the arrow stayed in one piece, and was either still in her, or had fallen out and easy to find. Although I didn't really care much about the arrow, this bh meant so much to me, and everytime I used it on a critter and it wasn't stuck in the ground in front of me, it got stressful. I tried not to think much about it and hoped for the best....

It was still very early, so I decided to stay a while.....

The next deer I saw was the big buck I had trail camera pix of. He was about 100yds. away to the NW of me. Immediately saw something was "off" with his rack. My Leica's told me I wasn't seeing things....he'd shed one side already!

He continued off to the west, and dissappeared. Then about 8:30 I saw a doe way off. By 9:00 I couldn't take it anymore, I wanted to go see my deer and find "the" broadhead!
Curt } >>--->   

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2011, 03:21:00 PM »
Still in the tree...

The shot...
•  

A closer look...
•  
•  

This pond creates a bit of a pinch, check out the ice on the edges...
•  

Chris' Lone Wolf and my Kempf Kwyk Styk "Cy"...
•  

Chris' 1 1/4" 3 bl. VPA had once again done an amazing job.  Lets follow the bloodtrail...
•  
•  
•  

As I followed I couldn't also help but look to see if the arrow/bh was somewhere along the trail...
Curt } >>--->   

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2011, 03:25:00 PM »
•  
•  
•  
•  
•  

This is what I was afraid I'd find, the arrow had broken! Which meant the BH end, the important end, was going to be harder to find!!!  
•  

The KUIU ram...
•  

•  
Curt } >>--->   

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2011, 03:45:00 PM »
Thats one mighty fine looking bloodtrail Curt!
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2011, 03:46:00 PM »
Great story Curt,I am using myself those VPA 1-1/4 and they make an incredible job!
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2011, 03:47:00 PM »
Looking ahead...
•  

I got to the deer and no broadhead, my stomach was in a knot! As soon as I got to the deer, I quickly looked around and under it, then turned around and slowly followed the bloodtrail backward focusing now on just finding the front 2/3 of the arrow and bh.

I went back up and down once, and I was back to the deer without finding it. I repeated this 3 more times over the next hour....I came up empty!

I needed to get home. So it was time to take some pix, field dress, and load up.

I know there's a few of us that hunt to honor Chris's memory as much as we can. I feel blessed to have accomplished my goal of killing another deer with his broadhead, and out of his Lone Wolf climber...his spirit is very strong...
•  
Curt } >>--->   

Offline Bishop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2011, 03:53:00 PM »
Great Story and pics!

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2011, 03:53:00 PM »
:thumbsup:
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2011, 03:54:00 PM »
Oh Yea!!!!!

Offline wv lungbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2011, 03:59:00 PM »
:campfire:
>>>>PICK-N-STICK--->

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2011, 04:00:00 PM »
Very cool bud!!!!!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline sunny hill archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2011, 04:01:00 PM »
Great job Brother!
The old order is passing. Swiftly receding into memory are the days of strong, earnest men who followed an atavistic yearning to pit their skills against wild animals.

Billy Ellis

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2011, 04:01:00 PM »
Entrance high...
•    

Exit low and tight, easy to see the extreme angle...
•    

This was a surprize, the "she", was actually a "he"....easily the biggest button buck I've ever seen. And the first one I've ever shot in 30+yrs. of bowhunting. Even had I known it was a BB, I still would have shot, this hunt was about filling the freezer and honoring a friend. His "rubbed buttons"...
•    
•    

I had a feeling from the shot hitting where/how it did, and the thick red blood I was following, that this wasn't just a lung shot...
•    

I'll be back down tomorrow morning to hunt, and afterward look again for the other 2/3 of the arrow.

The good news is that I have one more of his VPA broadheads in my quiver that I will be using if I don't find this one.

But I hope beyond hope that I find it. I have bigger plans for it.  I know in my heart that if I don't find it, Chris is proud of what I'd done with his broadhead and that he'd think there isn't a better way of using/losing it.

Chris will live forever in these hunts and in our hearts...
•  
Curt } >>--->   

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2011, 04:02:00 PM »
I thought man that looks like a murder scene then I remembered ....it is! You da man.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©