3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Which ILF Risers Do You Like??  (Read 331 times)

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
Which ILF Risers Do You Like??
« on: December 26, 2011, 09:47:00 AM »
Hey all,

I was going to pick up a Hoyt Excel 21 inch ILF riser last month to replace the ProLine that I sold to a member.  I was dead set on the 21 inch Excel having read so many positive comments on it both as a recreation, back yard bow and as a hunting setup.  I would be using it for both.

Anyway, I started looking around and there are several of the familiar bowyers that are now offering ILF risers from 13 to 19 inches.  Some of those that I checked out are the Dryad, Morrison, Belcher and the ones from Trad Tech.  LOTS of really nice ILF risers out there.

I have decided to hold off a bit on the Excel and see if there is anything that I just can't live without.  I haven't seen too much written about these current ILF setups and would like to hear more from those that have had some experience with various models.

Which ILF riser(s) do you like and would buy if your were in the market?  Would you prefer one from Dryad, Morrison or other Bowyer to an offering from Trad Tech like the Apex, Titan or Pinnacle II?

Any info you care to add would be appreciated.

Thanks for the help.

Nalajr

Offline momo-t

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Which ILF Risers Do You Like??
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 10:02:00 AM »
Larry you have a PM

Mo
Hill Big Five
2 Bear Longbows,  Montana/ Bruin

Cari-bow Silverfox longbow
The harder I work
The luckier I get

Offline RUTANDSTRUT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 10:13:00 AM »
as for metal risers, its hard to beat a titan II for shootability, looks, and value.  as for wood, morrison makes beautiful risers but they can be expensive. as for value, i really liked the dryad risers in 15" and 17".  they were great looking, very comfortable to shoot, and a great value.  the apex is a nice looking riser and very shootable but lacks in quality compared to the other two.  just be advised with the excel riser you may need a short stabilizer to be balanced correctly.  the others i mentioned balance very well as the risers alone.  i have shot the black max limbs and dryad epic limbs on all of these risers.  black max limbs were an awesome value and performed impressively (can't beat the price also!).  the dryad limbs were the quietest limbs i ever shot and gave you a great feel while shooting.  i prefer wood personally for looks and feel and i highly recommend a dryad combo.  just my $.02

Offline ermont

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 10:22:00 AM »
Dryad riser with 4G or CG limbs. I have both. You can't go wrong with either.

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2011, 10:32:00 AM »
Morrison ILF Wood riser, best of both worlds.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2011, 10:37:00 AM »
If your going to go with riser you have, which is as good as the next and you will be shooting say Wynn Wynn limbs i would keep it.

If you are going to go with some pretty ILF wood bows then i would get a wood riser for sure. Nother looks worse than a fancy Metal riser with wood limns.

If you want a wood riser for the price your not going to find anything that beats the Dryad ILF riser in woods and cost.

Bob makes some of the most beautiful risers out there but you better bring a wad of cash.

Plus if you go with Dryad you can eventually get there ACS Recurve limbs, its a no brainer for me.  :thumbsup:  

Just my opinion and you know what there like.  :biglaugh:
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2011, 10:43:00 AM »
If you are leaning towards metal, look at Morrison's risers.  They are very good and are very affordable.  Heck I'm going to buy one at KZoo myself.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2011, 10:46:00 AM »
I'm real happy with my Zipper 17" standard ILF riser   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline shortstroke 91

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2011, 10:50:00 AM »
I agree with Mike, I have a 17" Morrisson generation 2 with a medium set of Dryad statics on her. Took this setup to Africa and it worked great.
shortstroke 91
TBOT Life Member

"BLOOD MAKES THE GRASS GROW"

Offline Fafe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2011, 10:56:00 AM »
Hi Nala, it sounds like your further down the same road as me. No doubt, Dryad has a top quality product combo, but the price is way up there. So, in my case anyway, price is a consideration and I'm looking at ********, PinnicleII etc. I've read that the quality is pretty good, too. Thoughts, anyone?

Offline dragon rider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2011, 11:13:00 AM »
I have the Pinnacle II - 19", the Titan in 17" and a TAC Firefly in 19".  I also have a Morrison 13" - of the lot, I like the 19's the best - more mass and thus more stable for me.  If I had to pick one from that bunch - and I probably will do it anyway, it'd be the Firefly - for some reason we seem to get along well.
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons; people are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Cootling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2011, 12:01:00 PM »
It all depends on your bottom line and intended use.

If money was a huge concern, I'd save for a riser I really like and buy an inexpensive set of regular Black Max limbs.  The riser will serve you as the core of your bow for many years (sort of the whole point of ILF) and the limbs really are very good, not just good for the price.  

I have a 15" Morrison phenolic and dymalux riser.  Really like it.  With "long" limbs it makes a GREAT 60" bow for my 28-29" draw.  I have had 2 58" Morrisons in the past (this bow with medium limbs and a Cheyenne) and did not shoot them as well... for me, 2" makes quite a difference.

I'd like to buy a second one... for a second bow I'm torn between another 15" riser and a 17" riser.  For me, I would not go longer unless I was buying a dedicated target bow.

Offline Fafe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2011, 02:08:00 PM »
Cootling, you bring up a good point I've been wondering about for awhile. That is, Is the riser more important than the limbs or vice-versa. Also, is a $450 riser THAT much better than lets say, a $250 riser? Same thing about limbs, are the $500 limbs THAT much better than a set of $200 set?
I'm sure there's a difference, but I'm not sure if MY skill level is good enough to really tell the difference.
What y'all think?

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2011, 03:26:00 PM »
I really like my metal Morrison riser I bought from ronw.  I think it is an older version (Gen 1 maybe).  It's all I could ask for.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline Turkeys Fear Me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2011, 03:37:00 PM »
If you are looking for pure function and performance in a wood riser, you will not find a better bang for the buck than the Pinnnacle.  If you are looking for bling, nothing quite matches the Morrison or Zipper.

In metal, pure value in my opinion would have to go to the Excel.  Overall, the Titan is the riser that most are compared to.  Even the Morrison has evolved from a more reflexed version in their first generation to a more shooter friendly deflexed style like the Titan in their generation 3.

Best bang for the buck in limbs would have to go to the Black Max carbons.

Offline Cootling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2011, 04:07:00 PM »
My riser being the part I handle and feel connected to, I think a riser that I really like is pretty important.

Whether $500 limbs are better than $200 limbs is a matter of opinion that depends on the specific limbs in question... but some $200 limbs are very, very good.

Offline OldSkoolArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2011, 04:38:00 PM »
I just got a 13" Morrison Metal (Gen 2)that is crazy nice. I haven't even shot it yet though, I can't put down my Kanati, but thats for a different thread!!

Offline d from phx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2011, 05:53:00 PM »
I did lots of research and finally got the Excel. It is a sweet little riser. I added a barebow weight from ********* and it shoots like a dream.

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2011, 07:27:00 AM »
Hey again all,

I just took a few minutes and checked out the Zipper ILF risers.  Let me tell ya these are some great looking risers and bows.  Really nice stuff.  I like the 17 inch risers and if I were to get one from him it would be this length.  Don't know what wood combos I'd pick, but it would be pretty hard to go wrong.

The others I have checked out, the Dryads and Morrisons also have some really good looking stuff.  The only negative is that these ILF risers are more expensive.  Dryad appears to have the riser for the budget conscious shooter if you are wanting to go with an American Bowyer instead of an imported riser from ********.  Not taking anything away from TT, they have some great stuff too, just mentioning it in case someone wants his stuff made by an American bowyer.

I know there are others out there that I haven't mentioned and I apologize for that.  If anyone has any other links or info on others that make ILF risers, I'd like to check those out as well.

Thanks for the info.

Nalajr

Offline Joshua Polland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2011, 09:00:00 PM »
I've been shooting a Trad Tech Black Onyx for a couple of years. I love it. It is stable in the hand, the grip fits me great, and John at Trad Tech is always there if you have a question. I have mine set with longbow limbs, even with the short riser, my 30 1/2" is smooth as can be.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©