3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: traditonal archery shops  (Read 422 times)

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
traditonal archery shops
« on: December 26, 2011, 12:31:00 PM »
How many are lucky enough to have a traditional only archery shop or at least one that most of what you need? The ones around here only have a few things but don't have anything that is only trad related.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: traditonal archery shops
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 01:01:00 PM »
In many areas there is just not enough traditional archers/bowhunters to support a shop that is all traditional. The X bow dealers usually don't want to fool with it because there is more profit in the other bows. I get lots of referrals from these shops and I appreciate it.

Have you considered starting a trad. archery shop?
I have a lot of fun with it (especially working with the kids) It's not a way to make a lot of money, but it is satisfying.

I have a number of relative in Owensboro. I have lived in Reed, Earlington, and Providence, Ky, and across the river in Evansville, In. I have roots on both sides of the Ohio River.

Offline mickeys4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 01:24:00 PM »
There's a Catch 22 about Trad archery.The main reason most love Traditional archery is we're not gadget freaks.This  makes an Archery shop profitable,selling the latest gadget be it the newest sight,arrow rest,stabilizer,release,$130 bow string or the latest super duper carbon fiber limb bow with the most aggressive cams on the planet.I'm not knockin' this.A business has to show a profit to survive.I'm thinking a solely Trad shop would have a hard time making ends meet.We all like to make our own gadgets if possible.I would think that most Trad archers spend less money on archery equipment in two or more years than a compound archer spends in a year.I may be wrong.
"The longbow is the reason we don't speak French today,"

Offline MountainTool21

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 01:41:00 PM »
Here in Denver, we have Rocky Mountain Specialty Gear run by Tom Clum, Tommy Clum, and Danny Clum; great store with even better people. I can validate their wood arrows, custom strings, great bow selection, and legitimate help. Give'em a call.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Gang!
Andrew

Offline DGF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2011, 01:42:00 PM »
I have one about 25 minutes from my house that stocks a decent supply. Also has a small selection (Comparatively) of compounds, firearms, waterfowling equipment, and some steelhead/trout stuff. I really see it more as an outdoorsmans niche shop.

I will say they are the only ones that really could help me out as a newbie when it comes to answering questions, and as a result they have about a thousand bucks of my money since I started this venture a few months back.  

Dan

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2011, 02:17:00 PM »
The closest thing I know of is the Footed Shaft, which is an hour and 3/4 from my house. They are as close as my computer if I can wait a few days, same with 3Rivers.

I buy from both, but it is fun to actually look stuff over before buying it at the Footed Shaft. I usually walk out with far more stuff than I (thought) I needed though.

Maybe it's a good thing they aren't closer; I'd be even more broke than I am now, LOL!
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline acollins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2011, 02:56:00 PM »
Luckily I live In Indiana and the drive to 3 Rivers is not bad.

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2011, 03:20:00 PM »
I am lucky, Tollgate Bowhunting Supply, a sponser here, is located not too far from me in central NY.  They have a very good selection and supply of traditional archery stuff.  Great folks to deal with, too.  By the way, their shipping is as fast as anybody's.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline Smithhammer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2011, 04:27:00 PM »
There is a certain irony in the fact that the single biggest boon for the commerce of traditional gear has been the internet. Without it, it would be impossible for most small-time craftsman to reach such a large audience.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2011, 05:39:00 PM »
House of Arrows sells confound mes, but he is longbow shooter. The money is in stuff, not tradition.   Matters not, as he has the essentials and will order for us.  I spend enough as it is, but it is nice to touch and feel before buying. We also have Cabelas, Schields and Sportsman warehouse, but trad guys and gals end up at Ricks
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Stump_pounder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2011, 06:29:00 PM »
I am blessed. Bigfoot is just down the road. Wes Wallace is 30 minutes from my front door. Raptor is a hour away. Life is good
Wes wallace recurve 58#@29
Bear Kodiak static recurve 70#@28
PBS member

Offline Bow man

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2011, 06:51:00 PM »
we are fortunate to be 25 minutes fom Lost Nation archery and 30 minutes from Three Rivers
Compton Life Member
PBS QRM

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2011, 06:53:00 PM »
I am lucky too..............Raptor Archery has everything I want. They are a phone call or mouse click away and that is perfect for me.

Offline rrowslngr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2011, 11:10:00 PM »
We are lucky here in CO with RMSG. There used to be Bobs in Castle Rock,CO but Bob retired and the new shop wants out of trad more money in gadgets and gizmos.
43# Hoyt Pro Hunter
50# Ben Pearson
50# Bear Grizzly
55# Bear Grizzly
55# Black Hawk
57# Browning Nomad
57# Wapiti td Recurve
57# Robertson Heritage Longbow

Offline Hobow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2011, 01:44:00 AM »
I too am lucky to have Raptor Archery only 45 minutes away.  Ted is top notch to deal with and very generous with his knowledge.  It's the only place that I know of where I can spend money yet still feel richer when I leave, no joke.

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2011, 07:26:00 AM »
Where I live there are only a couple of shops in a 35 mile radius and they usually have only basic things,big compound area, so 95% of stuff I need is shipped to me.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2011, 08:51:00 AM »
It's a long way from me, but I second Rocky Mt. Specialty Gear in Denver. My son lives in the Denver area, and whenever we visit, I go snoop around in the store. Good folks, and great service. They have a huge selection of bows, and they are fun to chew the fat with, as well.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline tuscarawasbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2011, 09:59:00 AM »
I have 1 an hour from me. Usually make it there once a year. Just have to buy extra stuff when I go.

Offline Austin Brown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2011, 10:13:00 AM »
I don't have anything remotely close as far as I know here in western Kentucky but I have had nothing but postive experiences from shops I have found on here or TBM.  I have bought everything from new and used bows to nocks, etc.  In fact, I haven't bought anything related to trad archery here in store, everything has been via phone/internet since I started shooting traditional gear.  It's been an amazing journey so far, I have met exactly one other trad shooter since I started 12yrs ago.  I hope I get the chance to meet some of you guys soon, would really like to head to west coast and meet some of the bowyers and shop owners and maybe hunt blacktails someday.
Joshua 24:15
As for me and my house,we will serve the Lord.

Offline Craig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2011, 06:57:00 PM »
If I need something right away I have ********* Archery about 30 min. away.
Schafer Silvertip

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©