3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How to properly adjust a back quiver.  (Read 343 times)

Offline Kentucky Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
How to properly adjust a back quiver.
« on: December 27, 2011, 11:12:00 AM »
Got a Steve Catt's Hill style back quiver for Christmas and I rubbed some Vaseline into the leather (Vaseline is a great leather conditioner--broke in more than a few baseball mitts with it) and everyone took turns sitting on it under the couch cushions over the holidays.  So its getting broken in.

I've used it a few times shooting in the backyard and am still getting used to it.  

My question is how should it be worn across my back.  When you look at John Shulz in the Hitting Em Like Howard Hill video his strap comes up very high under his armpit and the quiver is nearly horizontal on his back.  Tried that and couldn't even reach an arrow.  Course he's a skinny little beanpole and I'm a former noseguard.   :)

So what's the scoop?

Offline longbowray

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How to properly adjust a back quiver.
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 11:18:00 AM »
I like to be right above my shoulder like this ,

BOWHUNTTER FOR LIFE

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 11:20:00 AM »
Originally posted by Kentucky Jeff:
Got a Steve Catt's Hill style back quiver for Christmas and I rubbed some Vaseline into the leather (Vaseline is a great leather conditioner--broke in more than a few baseball mitts with it)
Am not a leather expert and am sure others that are will chime in but Vaseline is a petroleum product and not the best choice for a leather conditioner especially with so many good products out there made for it.

Just my 2 cents and congrats on a fine quiver.
    :thumbsup:
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Offline Kentucky Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 11:26:00 AM »
Originally posted by MikeW:

Originally posted by Kentucky Jeff:
Got a Steve Catt's Hill style back quiver for Christmas and I rubbed some Vaseline into the leather (Vaseline is a great leather conditioner--broke in more than a few baseball mitts with it)
Am not a leather expert and am sure others that are will chime in but Vaseline is a petroleum product and not the best choice for a leather conditioner especially with so many good products out there made for it.

Just my 2 cents and congrats on a fine quiver.
     :thumbsup:  [/b]
I have a drawer full of well used decades old baseball mitts with  vaseline rubbed in them and I have no issue with it in this capacity.  Its not how I would clean/dress my saddle or my leather holster or even take care of my boots.  They all would get treated differently.  But for a stiff piece of hard use leather that needs to conform to soften up a bit and will get used in weather (like a baseball mitt) I'm comfortable with it.

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 11:39:00 AM »
It's all good, I just wanted to bring it to your attention because I've never seen anyone use it before and wasn't sure of your experience.

A mixture of 75% beeswax and 25% Neets foot oil is an excellent conditioner and will soften the leather immediately but may darken it a bit.

Wesco boots also sells their brand of Bees oil and Bees wax I've been using it for 30 years on all my leather goods, when you spend $400+ on a pair of boots you don't take chances just like a high quality quiver such as Catt's makes.

I think using a back quiver takes some getting use to. I've owned a couple and never really like them other than carrying a ton of arrows for rabbit hunting but that's just me. Those use to them love them. Lots of good threads here on it.

Got any pics of yours?

Offline PrarrieDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 12:09:00 PM »
I don't wear mine that high and tight.
I use my left hand to pull on the strap to bring the arrows closer to my right hand and with a looser strap I can use the left hand to pull the quiver under my left arm in the brush, then a short tug and it's back in place.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 12:24:00 PM »
KJ, you're dead right about exercising your heavy leather to supple. IMHO, just doesn't work right otherwise. I use whatever is handy, Neet's foot, Mink oil, Bulla Bulla Butter, etc. then twist, turn, & exercise the startch out of it! Above combo 75% beeswax & oil sounds interesting.

Different body shapes require different fits. Just so you can get to your arrows easily enough. Your retrieve technique may change to suit also. No one specific way imo. Try sliding the quiver under your arm for tight spaces in the woods.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 12:29:00 PM »
Jeff,

I prefer to hang the quiver off the shoulder like Hill and Schulz did...it stays out of the way of tree limbs and brush much better, plus the arrows clump together and are much quieter.  The trick is to bump up the bottom of the quiver with your bowhand or bowarm elbow so you can reach the arrows, then the quiver falls back into position.  I've been doing it this way for over 25 years....it works.

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 12:41:00 PM »
Above combo 75% beeswax & oil sounds interesting.
I didn't mention it but you melt them together in a pot on the stove and rub it in. After the first treatment all you need is pure Beeswax melted in with a hair dryer and maybe some oil once a year or so. Totally water proofs leather and keeps it new for years and years. I have a pair of Wesco's that are close to 25 years old that still look great using this method.

Sorry for getting the thread sort of off topic but I have a passion for fine leather goods and like to pass along what I know works. Trust me I've trashed some fine leather not taking care of it correctly.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 12:50:00 PM »
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline primitivealltheway

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2011, 01:20:00 PM »
thats great right there mudd!!!!
"nothing like being in the woods with a stick and string"

Offline 58WINTERS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2011, 06:54:00 PM »
Steve Catts told me to use Lexol leather conditioner on the quivers I've purchased from him.

Offline Kentucky Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2011, 09:47:00 PM »
Lexol is good stuff and I use it on my horse tack a good deal.  Might have to raid my tack trunk next time I go to the barn.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2011, 09:26:00 AM »
As mentioned above the bumping the bottom of the quiver is what most do. I like my quiver riding up on the shoulder(and it does get cought on branches)and prefer a wider shoulder strap. The center of the quiver shouild ride flat in the center of the back( any lower and the arrows tilt away from the back), and the bump method brings the arrows in reach of the hand.Put the quiver on and have someone help adjust it with you till you get it the way you want.Trial and error. Good luck Tim
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2011, 11:09:00 AM »
The position of the Strap where it connects to the Quiver is important in how the Quiver hangs on the body....
    And as mentioned above, keep the strap a little loose....So you can manuver the Quiver around....
    Everyone is differant, so experiment with it, you'll figure it out....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Bruce Martin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2011, 08:14:00 PM »
I really like Mudd's solution.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©