3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting camp and meals  (Read 914 times)

Offline benderofwood

• Trad Bowhunter
Hunting camp and meals
« on: January 14, 2007, 11:26:00 PM »
Does anyone here, when in hunting camp, make a meal out of their fresh kill? if so, how do you prepare it? what part of the animal{deer, elk, moose ect;} is cooked first?
There is something about cooking a fresh kill, especially in hunting camp, that makes the hunt so much more special to me; I cook the meal{mostly tenderloins} the same way at home BUT when made in hunting camp, it always seems to taste much better; just wondering if ya'll feel the same; please let us know your recipies for your famous "camp meals"       :campfire:
Hunt hard waste no meat

Online Al Dente

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting camp and meals
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 08:15:00 AM »
We also do the tenderloins of a deer, and also make some sausage that always gets either grilled or fried up.  Then there are turkeys, that never make it home, fried or grilled breast tenders and legs are braised, squirrels that always go into a stock pot for gumbo, and a fresh rabbit, though scarce by me, will always be made into a meal.
BOD Member
Past President
Life Member
New York Bowhunters, Inc.
>>>>------------------------>

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 08:17:00 AM »
powdered terriyaki over a willow fire!!!!!  You could eat the hooves and it'd taste great.

Offline Pasty Face

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 08:53:00 AM »
We just fry up the loins for breakfast with butter and onions. When weather permits we cook them on the grill.

We eat the hart the night after the kill. My uncle likes to let it hang for a day. Fried up with onions.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 09:25:00 AM »
This is just straight-up backstrap section. I rub a little olive oil on it, then some herbs and grill it.

Tenderloins (I call 'em weasels) get the same treatment, but get stuck on and draped around green sticks. The tops cook first when you lean them over the fire, and you just take a bite when it looks done and then return the stick to its place to cook the next section. This is a relaxed and natural way to eat meat, giving you time for sitting and conversing or doing little chores while your next bite cooks.

Tender cuts like backstrap are great butterflied and seared in the pan, served with a makeshift Marsala sauce (using homemade jellies or canned whole-berry cranberry sauce), green beans and mashed potatoes.

Liver and onions are a camp favorite, sliced thick and seared, and still pink on the inside. Heart meat can get either fried up with a wine sauce or put into spaghetti sauce.

While I am in camp, I like to roast ribs over the flames of the fire. The fat is mostly removed from the meat this way, and they are savory with woodsmoke. This also saves me a lot of picky work over them at home. Nothing like sitting at the fire snarfing hot ribs and tossing the bones into the coals! When you get a fatty bit, just put it back on the grill 'til you like its looks again.

I am getting mighty hungry sitting here!  :readit:  
Killdeer  :coffee:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 09:38:00 AM »
On my Colorado elk hunt last season some fellow hunters shot an elk in the next drainage over from us and had to pack it out. I met them on their way in and told them to stop back for a rest and a cup of coffee. They did and after about 30 minute rest they headed out. Just as they were leaving one asked if we would like a piece of meat, as a friendly gesture and I guess to lighten their load. After they left and my partner got back to camp we opened the game bag and there was a complete back strap. We had chicken fried elk steaks over the open fire with fresh corn on the cob(that Kenneth brought) and pasta alfredo. This was my first taste of elk and I hope not my last.
   Killy, Looks like we used the same "marinade" as you have in your glass there.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 10:07:00 AM »
yeah, that looks suspiciously like JD - or JW Green label, or something like that, Killy!

That's some perfectly prepared venison from the looks of it, by the way!
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2007, 10:30:00 AM »
Thats what "campfires" are for!!!!!

Just poke a stick through it,and roast it over the fire.

It's a recipe as old as time itself   :thumbsup:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©