3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Longbow with no handshock-true?  (Read 715 times)

Offline beendare

• Trad Bowhunter
Longbow with no handshock-true?
« on: December 27, 2011, 01:42:00 PM »
A longbow with no handshock [in hunting weights]- is there such a thing? I see comments stating this 'no shock' but is that a qualified statement?

What are the factors that make it so? The handle mass of the recurves I have tried and the geometry/design must be a huge factor in decreasing handshock. With the relative lighter/lesser mass of the longbow handles, seems like reducing handshock would be difficult.

Or am I stating this incorrectly; I'm talking about that feeling when the bow wants to jump out of your hand.

Fairly new to the sport and a lefty. I will eventually try every longbow I can get my hands on but so far that has been tough...like in one.
You don't drown by falling in the water; you drown by staying there.”
― Edwin Louis Cole

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Longbow with no handshock-true?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 01:44:00 PM »
I believe when it comes down to actuality. . .   no bow is without shock.  A better description may be "not much hand shock",  or, "I can still feel my arm after ten shots",  or simlar.
ChuckC

Offline Smithhammer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 01:45:00 PM »
My #55 Savannah longbow with an SBD string is absolutely dead in the hand. I attribute it to tuning (arrow and bow), string choice, and good design.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 01:59:00 PM »
The tern you are looking for and have heard is "Dead in the hand"  

Building a bow with no hand shock requires a good limb balance and timing of the limbs to stop at the same time. The pre load at brace height, or string tension is what determines if the limbs stop dead and transfer the energy to the shaft instead of back into the riser. In some cases when the mass of the outer limb is too much for the limbs to stop dead it gives that kick you are referring to even if the limbs are timed correctly and the tiller is adjusted to the pressure point on the grip.

If a bow is fairly well balanced the archer can usually tune the bow by using different brace heights and slight grip pressure adjustments to find the sweet spot.

The mass weight of the riser has very little to do with hand shock if the bow is designed and balanced correctly. If a bow needs more mass in the riser to absorb hand shock, there is something wrong with the way it's limbs are balanced or timed, or both. IMO

If you have never experienced a "Dead in the hand" bow I'd be glad to build you one with a guarantee.

Offline [email protected]

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 02:27:00 PM »
I looooooooooked a long time to find a longbow without "hand shock".  

Being a lefty like you our choices are some what limited on test bows.

After years of looking I found one that's perfect for me.

I suggest you talk to Allen Boice at Liberty Longbows.  NO hand shock what-so-ever!

Bob
Beware of all enterprises that require a new suit.

Don't give up what you want most for what you want now.

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 02:27:00 PM »
I do not have any experience with D style longbows but any deflex reflex longbow made by a reputable bowyer will have basically no handshock at all with a proper weight arrow.

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 02:35:00 PM »
There are several out there that would qualify.  Don't take our word for it though.  Try them and see.  You have a fine bowyer up above that just offered to build you one with a guarantee.    :wavey:  
Good luck in your search!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Online Crash

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 02:50:00 PM »
I've never seen a bowyer offer that guarantee.

Until a bow is designed that is 100% efficient, there will be handshock.  As Kirk stated, it can be reduced to the point, through tuning, arrow selection and proper design, that it is not readily felt.  That is where the "dead in the hand" statement comes from.  Most R/D bows have very little.  Most "D" bows will have more.  Just the way it is.
"Instinctive archery is all about possibilities.  Mechanist archery is all about alternatives. "  Dean Torges

Offline randy grider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 02:57:00 PM »
A well made  reflex/deflex longbow, shooting arrows that weigh 10 grains per # of bow weight, should not have any noticeable handshock, no more than a recurve. Straight limbed longbows have a tad more, but even then, if properly built (tillered) and heavy arrows its should not rattle you.
its me, against me.
member KTBA,MCFGC,UBK,NRA

Offline pumatrax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 02:59:00 PM »
reminds me of the statement for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction...most of the energy is absorbed by the arrow ; some by the string and limbs and "some" by your hand...granted some bows absorb it somewhat better than others...just sayin

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2011, 03:34:00 PM »
Kirk makes a sweet bow and they shoot dead in the hand.  Wes Wallace also makes a R/D longbow that is dead in the hand.  Adding an 8 strand FF string and 10.5 gpp arrows ensures I feel no hand shock.  If you shot 8 gpp or less arrows I bet there would be some noticeable hand shock for both  bows. Though it would be very minor.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2011, 03:36:00 PM »
3 piece Bob Lee takedown longbow

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2011, 03:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by beendare:
A longbow with no handshock [in hunting weights]- is there such a thing?
What you'd be looking for is a Thunderstick. Absolutely dead in the hand. Best ang for the buck out there IMO.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2011, 03:40:00 PM »
EVERY bow has handshock, longbow or recurve.  You can absolutely reduce handshock with the right design, tuning and timing of the limbs.

Saying a bow has no hand shock is like saying an arrow shoots flat.  Ain't so, never will be.

The least shocky bows I have shot are high end recurves and hybrid longbows (extreme R/D).
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline JINKSTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2011, 04:16:00 PM »
To me?.."Well Designed" is about 1/2 of it..the other 2/4ths?..is "Tuning" and "Form & Release"..and when all 4/4ths come together?..my Bob Lee TD Hunter Recurve and My Bushmen "American Native" hybrid longbow are about as shock free as it gets..which is very dead in the hand..especially my Bob lee but cause it's weighs 2-3X's what my longbow does.

But there's a reason why when it comes to the old school broom handle D Longbows that the old clich'e applied..

"Grip It & Rip It"

and you bess "Grip" it. LOL!
"ONLY A SPIRITUALLY MATURE DISCIPLINED SOUL CAN TRUELY MASTER A TRADITIONAL BOW"

and i know that's true cause as a younger man i usta call'em a "pull-n-pray"

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2011, 04:25:00 PM »
I swear, I don't feel ANY hand shock whatsoever with my Kanati LB. None. Nada. Nil. Zilch. And, believe me, I know what hand shock is. I have an osage bow(over built) I made several years ago that will flat rattle your teeth!

Granted, I am shooting fairly heavy arrows weighing in at 11.3 grains per pound of draw weight with the Kanati. But still, it is absolutely dead in the hand with my setup. It is definitely a real pleasure to shoot.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2011, 04:32:00 PM »
My Kanati may have some, but I don't feel it. And believe me, my left elbow will tell on any bow that isn't timed correctly. That's why I tiller by shooting and adjusting as needed when finishing a bow blank, or refinishing a bow that has some rattle.
This is one area where r/d bows have it all over the straight end bows, imo.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2011, 04:34:00 PM »
A 51 pound zipper sxt longbow, has no hand shock that I can tell.
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2011, 04:36:00 PM »
Now I have shot a few bows that other said had VERY BAD SHOCK, Now with that said, I have shot the same bows and didn't few a thing.

Hill bows have been said to knock teeth out of the shooters mouth. Never had that feeling what so ever. It all comes down to how you hold the bow.

I owned a shrew bow with no pinch or staking and no shock. I Now own a Jerry Hill Stalker Deluxe and the same is true with it.. No shock when I shoot it..

So to answer Your question... YES there is hand shock free Long Bows..

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2011, 04:44:00 PM »
A few that come to mind for me that have no felt hand shock are the Firefly and Hummingbird take down longbows .
" Live long and prosper "

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©