3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Longbow with no handshock-true?  (Read 716 times)

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Longbow with no handshock-true?
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2011, 05:17:00 PM »
For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. Mass can dampen the feel of this. But everything that throws or pushes something is automatically shoved right back. Longbows: If folks could handle them for countless millennia, so can we.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2011, 05:27:00 PM »
Arrow weight cures most.  Energy has to go some where, best if it goes in the arrow.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2011, 06:35:00 PM »
Tune, grip and arrow weight aside, there are some hybrid bows that are very mild in the hand. ACS and Hill Country Wildcat are the two stand outs for me for the 3 pc, and both I have are not heavy mass weight bows. Kanati is about as dead in the hand as I have shot for a 1 pc hybrid. For a D shape I would say 2 tracks long walker is the best I have shot.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline flinthead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2011, 06:54:00 PM »
Had a couple top name bows that had too much handshock for me, got rid of them. Have shot  Zipper STX, Hummingbird,and Silvertip 3 piece longbows and Hummingbird one piece longbows that had almost no reaction to the arrow being released. I usually shoot Dymond wood or Cocobolo risers so that helps some too.
Short answer, shoot ten top longbows you will find several that have almost no handshock. Roy
Maybe it is time to shoot what I have on the rack

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2011, 07:03:00 PM »
If you have arthritis in the thumb of your bow hand like I do, you will come to the realization that ALL bows have some hand shock just some more than others ... I have shot lots and lots of different bows LB and recurve and I have never had one not be felt in some fashion by my arthritic thumb.
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2011, 09:07:00 PM »
I have shot some d/r longbows that basically had little to no handshock, my own Whips by Dan Toelke have absolutely none to me with arrows running from 10 to 13 to 1 grains of arrow per pound of draw weight. I have shot a couple of d/r longbows and a number of D shaped longbows that would rattle your teeth! My own Toelke Super Ds  with the same weight arrows as my Whips have so little handshock that it is more like a pulsation than a thump. In fairness my own bows have been set up by me for me, the other bows mentioned were not of course.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2011, 09:26:00 PM »
Skinny, low stretch strings will help on the D profile bows, but you will still feel a bit of a thump. My Shelton has very mild hand shock with 9-10 grains per pound arrows. If I get some heavy ones made up, I'm sure it will be even less.

My Kanati has NO noticeable hand shock, but to be honest, it is a hybrid, definitely not a D profile. I think Jason gets rid of the shock by making extremely efficient bows. I have had mine since 2007 and I am still amazed at the speed even with heavy (11-12 gpp) arrows. Oh, and Kanatis are also very light weight, so you don't have to have a hefty bow to have minimal hand shock.

If you want to shoot a Hill style longbow, you will need to get used to at least some shock. The string follow bows like my Shelton tend to have less than straight or back set bows. It is certainly not uncomfortable to shoot.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2011, 10:59:00 PM »
Tomahawk SS! smooth and dead in the hand. Kirk makes a great bow as well as do many others like A&H, Black Widow, and on and on... Just try as many as you can and see which one you like best.
James Kerr

Offline pumatrax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2011, 11:07:00 PM »
here is another question concerning hand shock...do you feel more hand shock with your arm fully extended and locked out ;  or less hand shock with a slight bend...for me I experience less with a slight bend at the elbow...I "think" the slight bend acts somewhat like a shock absorber...anyone care to chime in ?...thanks

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2011, 11:32:00 PM »
Hand shock is a relative thing. I am with those that say all bows have "some" hand shock. If you think your bow does not have any, shoot it with an open bow hand and don't grab it at the shot. Better have a soft place out in front for it to land though   ;) .
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline beendare

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2011, 11:35:00 PM »
Yep, "Dead in the hand" was the term I was looking for and the one longbow I tried felt like a coiled spring in my hand on release. The whole 'Physics' of this is interesting. I knew there had to be more to it with so many guys loving their longbows.

Thanks Kirk for the long explanation and to all for the informative comments. I'm going to wait until I develop better form and get up to my shooting weight before I start collecting more bows. [Actually, the truth; I told myself no new bows until I kill something with this first one]

I would think that less shock not only makes a bow more fun to shoot but more accurate with less tendency to develop bad habits- flinching, gripping etc.

Some bows flex all the way into the handle too, that has to create more shock on release. And I would think the straight handle bows have more shock. vs. ones with more > forward. Kudos to the bowyers that have it figured out!
You don't drown by falling in the water; you drown by staying there.”
― Edwin Louis Cole

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2011, 11:42:00 PM »
I purchased a terrestrial long bow on here from GreyBeard,I couldn't be happier with a purchase it was made by a tradganger r/d style longbow 60 inch 53@28 feels like 48,smoothest drawing bow I have ever owened no hand shock and a Joy to shoot.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2011, 11:42:00 PM »
End your search with 3 words.....Big River Longbows.......
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2011, 12:00:00 PM »
I like St. Joe longbows, very quiet and stable.  :)
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2011, 06:32:00 PM »
Maybe I'm just still numb from my partying college days, but I don't notice handshock in longbows - even straight limbed Hill styles.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2011, 06:53:00 PM »
I ordered a Dwyer Original Longbow today just so i could say i have a Hill bow. Just kidding, the first bow i ever owned was a Dwyer Original Lonbow and i ordered a 56 pounder.

Well i have a 30in draw so you can imagine my suprise when i tried to draw and shoot that monster but man was it fast. I can't remember much handshock but it did have some but i was new and overbowed.

The one i ordered has a beavertail grip and they stain there woods to give them a darker rich look and i think it was $420 something delivered.

I know there is a great mystique surrounding HH bows but for the money and looks i'll take that Dwyer anytime.

Joe Van
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2011, 06:54:00 PM »
I have a Leon Stewart Slammer and I cannot feel any hand shock at all. The riser is quite small and I think Kirkill above does a good job of explaining why riser is not that impt.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2011, 06:57:00 PM »
My new Kempf 58" longbow has no hand shock and with the TS-1 string I have on it, is deadly quiet.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2011, 09:15:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bill Kissner:
Hand shock is a relative thing. I am with those that say all bows have "some" hand shock. If you think your bow does not have any, shoot it with an open bow hand and don't grab it at the shot. Better have a soft place out in front for it to land though       ;)     .
That doesn't prove anything. If you shoot your bow with an open bow hand and don't grab it at the shot, then how is it NOT gonna hit the ground?!? Hand shock or no hand shock it's gonna hit the ground if you don't hold onto it! Never saw a bow that sticks to an open hand, unless it's glued to it.

I'm not understanding what you're trying to say here. No one is saying a bow doesn't move upon releasing the string and the arrow leaves the bow. Hand shock is an unpleasant "jarring" of the bow hand from the shot. The bow simply moving or vibrating a little isn't hand shock.

Say what you will, but I'm telling ya right now, my Kanati has NO hand shock.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Online Guss

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2011, 09:16:00 PM »
I have shot some 3 pc. longbows that were virtually shock free, with the extra weight in the riser. ACS for sure! But if you want a one piece bow that's as light as a feather and super fast and quiet as a mouse...u need to try a Centaur or a Kanati!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©