3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: beginner needs help with arrows  (Read 157 times)

Offline rangeguy7

• Trad Bowhunter
beginner needs help with arrows
« on: December 27, 2011, 08:50:00 PM »
Hello All,  

I am brand new to traditional archery and am looking for some advice.  I have a samick sage recurve that is 45pounds at 28" and 62 inches long.  My draw length is 28".  A friend gave me a 31" Beeman ICS Hunter 340 arrow with a 145gr tip just to test out the bow.  It shoots a bit unstable. To save some time and money going through lots of arrows and tips; does anybody have a tested arrow set up that works well with this bow?  Any help will appreciated.  thank you.

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: beginner needs help with arrows
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 08:56:00 PM »
That arrow is way too stiff.  You need something in the 500 spine with more point weight.  i don't have any experience with Beemans so maybe some of those guys/gals will jump in.  i use GT 3555 with my 47lb ish longbow with 175grain tip. My drawlength is 27inches on a good day and my arrows are cut 29 inches long to give you a little reference point.
Welcome to Tradgang!   :wavey:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Three Finger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 09:01:00 PM »
I have a 48# @28 recurve and at my 27in draw its about 45#. I shoot a easton 2016 with 175g point. They are pretty cheap and shoot strait. I would think that would be a good starter arrow.
You could go with a 2013 with 125g. That may work also.
US Army AIRBORNE 95-98
Woodland Hunter 58"48#@28
Hoyt Dorado 55#@28

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 09:18:00 PM »
Welcome to the gang. A 1916 or 2016 should work, or carbon 600 or 1535 which is the same spine.

You will have to play with the point weight.

Offline skilonbw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 03:36:00 PM »
Welcome to the site depending where on where you are in CO there are some good trad shops here that can help you find the right arrow setup for your bow and get it dialed in.

Offline rangeguy7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 05:14:00 PM »
Everybody, thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it.  I picked up some 500 spine arrows today and will see how they fly.  The guy at the shop also agreed the 340 was way to stiff for my bow.  Happy New Year guys!

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 02:15:00 PM »
Good luck getting it dialed in and welcome to TG!

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 05:49:00 PM »
Welcome!  :wavey:
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Offline instinctivebowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 07:30:00 PM »
When you find a good shooting arrow, shoot one without fletching and see how it shoots. if you have an arrow that flies well without feathers, then you have yourself a great arrow/bow match.  The feathers can compensate for some flight problems and when you remove them the true flight comes out. i would find an expert and let them tune your bow/arrow for you. They will start out with bare shaft arrows and get them flying perfect without feathers. Its pretty amazing to watch a bare shaft go where you want it to. Your new, you might as well start out right. Ken Beck taught me how to tune one, there are many others with equall skill
good luck
jeremy

Offline instinctivebowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 08:44:00 PM »
i would also learn as much as you can about things like archers paradox, nock right, nock left, etc. I enjoyed it a lot when i was getting tuned up. The more you learn about this trad stuff the more you will love it till the day you die.
happy hunting brother, i hope to draw an arrow with you someday
jeremy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©