3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Military Backpacks  (Read 387 times)

Offline 1screagle

• Trad Bowhunter
Military Backpacks
« on: December 28, 2011, 07:37:00 AM »
I recently purchased a military pack, complete with frame and in good condition. It looks as though it will carry a ton of cargo. Looks well thought out and feels pretty good. It has waist strap and lumbar pad. How good of a pack is this for hunting? This is the first pack I've purchased besides my Cat Quiver II. I purchased it for 32.00. Please give me your opinions. Is this something that will work for western hunts?
3 Wes Wallace Recurves,
2 original Mentors & 1 B-Model Mentor
3 Wes Wallace Longbows
1 Dwyer Defiant "Legolas"

www.stoneartistllc.com

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Military Backpacks
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 08:02:00 AM »
I sued to have one of those.  A really old one with a metal frame.  It looked like it could have been used in Vietnam.  It was a good pack, but a little noisy due to the metal frame.  Not a great choice for a stalk, but certainly good for carrying stuff.  I've moved from Washinton to Arizona, to Louisiana, to Florida and use the same pack I always have.  The most important thing is how comfortable it is and that's different for everyone.  If it's comfortable it'll work anywhere.

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 08:16:00 AM »
A all purpose
L lite weight
I individual
C carrying
E equipment.

Many of us have carried an alice pack hundreds of thousands of miles. You can take it off the aluminum frame very quickly. If you are going to use it for hunting.  That’s what I would do. No frame needed.  If you are going to use alice to pack out an elk. Then the frame would be handy.

Bill

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 08:35:00 AM »
I carried packs for the 30 years I was in the Corps.  Zipper calls Alice correctly.  All our packs are too noisy in my opinion.
There are also the other framed packs for longer stays and winter operations.  Which do yo have?   Alice has an Al frame that widens about the lumbar area, and is small.  Can take about a small sleeping bag.  The other is way bigger and can carry a mountain bag plus a lot of other gear.
The problem with packs is you end up filling the space.
Not always with necessary gear
You can not have too much ammo when that time comes, but...
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline mmisciag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 09:42:00 AM »
1screagle,

I have a Medium Alice pack. I have not used it for hunting but am will to try. I think that you could use camo tape to make it quiet if that is a problem. It does look like it will carry a lot comfortably. I think I paid $28 two years ago.

Roadkill is right, you can carry too much with a large pack. I would see if I could get the larger frame with a smaller pack. I'm not sure if that would work but may be an option.

Bill said thatyou could use it without the frame and that would certainly lighten the whole affair. I have not tried it yet but will try it today!

Martin

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 09:44:00 AM »
I carried the ALICE pack when I was in the Army, and hated every step I took.  My chief complaint is the top part of the aluminum frame has a pressure point on my spine at the base of my neck.  I could probably modify it (still sits in the basement) but I will more than likely let my boys fight over it if they want it.  I now have a military knock off one that I very much enjoy with an internal frame.  However if I come across the right  priced Spike Camp (Kifaru) I'll jump ship in a minute.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 09:50:00 AM »
An Alice pack is what Mr. Wommack has packed MANY boned out deer out of the swamp with. Thats a great endorsment.RC

Offline 1screagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 09:52:00 AM »
Roadkill, I would say mine is way bigger. I could see putting in more than I need just cuz I could. When you say noisy, while traveling on your back or when trying work with it off your back? So these packs are made for use with and without the frame? Would this make it more quiet without? I filled it up with stuff and adjusted it the way I thought it should be, which may not be right, no perceptible noise and feels like it fits pretty good. Better without the frame? I really wanted a new KUIU backpack, something like 500.00, this one was 32.00. I guess I will always want the KUIU, looks awesome, and designed well. I'm wondering if I will ever need it?
3 Wes Wallace Recurves,
2 original Mentors & 1 B-Model Mentor
3 Wes Wallace Longbows
1 Dwyer Defiant "Legolas"

www.stoneartistllc.com

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 11:20:00 AM »
Originally posted by RC:
An Alice pack is what Mr. Wommack has packed MANY boned out deer out of the swamp with. Thats a great endorsment.RC
And glad to say he's still packing them out.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 11:26:00 AM »
I used an Alice pack for years up north, I have now taken the pack and mounted it on an old Coleman Peak plastic pack frame. I don't carry that much when hunting ,but if I ever do get a deer I can bone it and pack the meat out all at once....I'm getting to old to drag critters that far! Seems to work well!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2011, 11:37:00 AM »
When I was in the Army, I wrapped my frame with newspaper then put the pack on.I had mine so quite My Sargent would grab it to make sure I had the frame in the pack. I am planning on getting another one here soon.

Offline Kentucky Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2011, 12:21:00 PM »
Alice packs are OK.  The military still uses them in Airborne units as the new internal frame packs can't be rigged for jumping as they are currently designed.

You need to understand there are two size packs that will fit that frame.  A medium and a large.  I guess there's a small somewhere but I have never seen one.  The large one will hold more stuff than you can carry unless you are filling with sytrofoam peanuts.  

I'm not a big fan as there are many better and more comfortable internal frame packs you can buy now that are superior IMO.  But as someone pointed out, an Alice frame would serve as a pack frame for packing out an elk.  But of course that's what mules and horses are for....

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2011, 12:28:00 PM »
pack is too big for me but has anyone used just the frame to strap does too and carry them out on your back?  seen a guy on you tube do this and wondered about it.
"Us vs Them"

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2011, 01:32:00 PM »
The problem with military backpacks is that they were made for military stuff, not hunting stuff
ChuckC

Offline don_h

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2011, 02:01:00 PM »
I got the newer plastic frame for an upgrade over my older peak frame and it works great for very heavy loads. Also nice to lash the bison gear, tent, sleeping bag, and other items to for a spike hunt and leave the frame at camp until needed for meat packing. The straps are not the greatest, but easy to make new ones or cannibalize a Dwight schuh pack.(favorite all time pack)

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2011, 02:16:00 PM »
You never mentioned what your frame was made of and it was assumed to be aluminum, therefore an ALICE system.

The MOLLE Rifleman's system (which replaced the ALICE) has a plastic frame, also external. The newest generation is claimed to be nearly unbreakable. I have one and it's comfortable, though I haven't put massive weights in it yet. The MOLLE shines in it's ability to add smaller bags and strap stuff to it due to all of the loops on it.

I understand you can use the MOLLE plastic frame with an ALICE pack. They are fairly cheap from surplus outlets or the auction site.

If you don't want to, or can't put out hundreds for a pack, the military packs will do the job. I use an SDS 3 Day Assault pack to haul stuff around everyday, as I ride a motorcycle. I've used it hard for 3 1/2 years, often loaded-up, in all kinds of weather, and it's never failed me. The zipper still works like new too.

I also have a 3 day assault ready to go as my Bug-Out-Bag.

Check out YouTube for a bunch of videos with reviews and even how to strap the pack to the frame.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline JJB2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2011, 02:35:00 PM »
I bought a mystery ranch nice frame 6500 set up with a load hauler and love it for hunting here in the midwest and for extended trips out west.  I use the frame with the load hauler to comfortably hunt with a climber or to move stands around.  I can put the stand in and use the top pack for my gear or strap my KOM backpack to the outside.  MR packs are military gear but a little more pricey unless you find one second hand.
Life is tough but it's tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2011, 03:20:00 PM »
I used ALICE web gear with the H suspenders when I had wheels, but I can't shoot my recurve with it on. Other than that it's a very handy system. Completely modular so I can go from 2 qt canteen to 1 qt or just a water bottle, and I can attach a pack to the meat hooks on the top front of the suspender straps when the butt pack isn't enough. And I can run with it on. I can go from packing  light to heavy very quickly. And the pouches are a good way to organize gear. I'm working on a way to convert to elastic perry type suspenders so I can keep the belt/pouch system. But I am not a fan of the ALICE pack frame at all. Better to get a good backpack frame and attach the ALICE pack or any other pack to it.

I can't figure out to make the MOLLE gear work.    :knothead:  Do they make just a belt for it? Or does it only work with the rifleman's vest?
Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2011, 04:20:00 PM »
ALICE PACK gives me too many flashbacks! :eek:  

I use my X2 instead.
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2011, 05:30:00 PM »
PaddyMac, my Molle has just a belt with shoulder straps that connect to the frame, no vest.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©