3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: toughness of ash shafts vs carbon  (Read 379 times)

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
toughness of ash shafts vs carbon
« on: December 28, 2011, 08:17:00 AM »
I use wood shafts exclusively.  I've used cedar, hickory, spruce, and ash.  I've settled on ash because it seems to be almost unbreakable.  I can bounce arrows shot out of my 70# longbow off rocks and trees and they rarely break.  All this bad shooting led me to wonder if carbon shafts can hold up to this kind of abuse.  I assume it can, but I've never used carbon.  What do you think?

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: toughness of ash shafts vs carbon
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 08:30:00 AM »
I can't speak for all shafts. I use cx heritage.  Unless I put a collar from old aluminum arrows the insert can get pushed back, causing the end to mushroom.  I only do this on my stumping arrows.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline cyred4d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 08:40:00 AM »
Like any other shaft material it depends on what you hit and how you hit it. I've broken carbon shafts when stumping, but would have to say they take a lot more abuse than wood ever did.

Offline stykbow67

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 09:13:00 AM »
FWIW i'm still shooting the dozen MFX classic's I bought over 2 years ago except for the 2 I lost on errant shots at turkey's. I also foot them with aluminum and have not had one mushroom on me yet. You would be hard pressed to find anything tougher than carbon IMO.

Steve

Offline Troy Breeding

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 10:11:00 AM »
I'm totally suprised to see that you find Ash tougher than Hickory. I tried just about every type wood shaft and found Hickory to hold up much better. My only draw back to Hickory was finding shafts that would allow me to have a finished arrow under 750grs. Most ended up in the 800+ range.

Troy

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 10:11:00 AM »
Footed carbons hold up extremely well, but like any material they can fail.
That ricochet or glancing shot can sometimes be the end of any arrow, carbons included.
Don't forget to check them regularly.
Ken Thornhill

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 10:35:00 AM »
Originally posted by Troy Breeding:
I'm totally suprised to see that you find Ash tougher than Hickory. I tried just about every type wood shaft and found Hickory to hold up much better. My only draw back to Hickory was finding shafts that would allow me to have a finished arrow under 750grs. Most ended up in the 800+ range.

Troy
I've found hickory to be pretty close to ash in toughness, but harder to find, and the hickory shafts usually require some straightening.  The weight never really bothered me (I actually never weigh my arrows), but I'm lazy when it comes to arrow building so I prefer not to have to straighten the shaft...

Offline Smithhammer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 10:47:00 AM »
Originally posted by gringol:
I actually never weigh my arrows

What?!?

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 10:51:00 AM »
When I shot 3D exclusively with aluminum shafts  any miss almost resulted in a ruined arrow. My friend was shooting Easton ACC shafts and could bounce them off trees with no damage. Got myself some $15 per each, back then, and I was amazed how tough they were comming out of my "other bow" at 280 fps. Now I shoot 3D exclusively with my long bow and wood arrows. What a blast.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 11:22:00 AM »
Ash is some tough stuff.  Only problem I ever ran into with ash is that it's pretty hygroscopic.  You really have to it sealed well if you want to keep your arrows straight.

I shoot carbon now because I am just tired of constantly worrying about arrows.  I think durability is pretty close to the same on the two materials, if you leave the moisture and straightening challenges out of the equation.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2011, 11:27:00 AM »
I think that cane arrows are about the toughest arrow material out there. My second choice is sourwood shoot arrows. Years ago I hunted with ash shafts. I shot an 8 point, must have been in the shoulder, but I only found the back half of the ash arrow and it was broken across the grain and only had a small drop of blood on it. My theory is that it hit a tree and broke. Never found the front half with the Grizzly head or the deer although, because of an identifiable hoof print, I saw that he was checking his scrapes the next weekend.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline donw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2011, 12:07:00 PM »
i've used ash and found them to be very tough, indeed...but very difficult to straighten. i also use carbons...they are tougher.

i gave up on aluminum years ago. i got tired of straightening shafts after a day of stumping, hunting or target shooting.

ovedr the years i've found that i really like to make wood arrows...but...i prefer the carbons...
i was told by a sales person, when purchasing an out-of-date newpaper that it was out-of-date...

i told her "i've been told i'm out-of-date, too"...

does that mean i'm up-to-date?

Offline Troy Breeding

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2011, 12:45:00 PM »
I made a ton of hickory shafts and loved them until I shot my first weighted carbon. Now that I'm into high FOC arrows i find the hickory would never make the grade for this type shaft.

Troy

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2011, 01:02:00 PM »
Troy, Weighted carbon??? What brand arrow is it and why do you like it? Is it made in USA? Thanx for any info.

Offline Troy Breeding

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2011, 01:17:00 PM »
fmscan,

We call it weighted, but mainly the weight is in the point.

The arrows I'm currently shooting weigh in at 700grs. The point and insert make up 415grs of that 700. As I said, I'm currently into high FOC arrows. These shafts have an FOC of 33.46%.

I'm also playing around with afew shafts that weigh in at approx 950grs. Here again the point and insert make up 625grs of that 950. These arrows have an FOC of 39%.

All this is something you could never do with a woodie.

Troy

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2011, 01:44:00 PM »
I love ash for arrows, I hate and will never buy carbon again. I got some bad carbon shafts a few years ago and well NEVER again will I spend money on them.

This coming spring Thunder Chicken season, I'm planning on using cane/boo shafts. Of what has been posted here and on some other boards. They are the best to have. Cane, Bamboo and wood all have a life force in Them. They where meant to be shot from a bow, Not made to be shot from a bow.

Now if I can just Cut them down and straighten them and heat temp them without breaking them so I can make self-made cane/boo arrows I'll like them even more ( I am working on making My own, But I need to work out what ever makes me break them first).

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2011, 02:37:00 PM »
Hardwood shoot arrows such as sourwood and the cane/boo, with their radial construction, makes for one tough arrow. Not only that, they're faster than doweled shafted arrows and hit like the carbons. Being naturally tapered you get a certain amount of weight forward. Like Pat mentioned, probably the finest all around arrow material around, be it man made or natural...Art

Offline TommyBoy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2011, 02:56:00 PM »
In a head-on against something hard - wood wins

In a glancing blow - carbon wins

This is just what I've observed throughout the years.
TommyBoy

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2011, 06:19:00 PM »
Troy, Thanx for info, I will investigate...so many choices.

Offline JAG

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2011, 07:03:00 PM »
What would Troy know about arrows anyway?!!!!!!

I heard he's been seduced to the dark side.  And gave up the Gray for the Blue, Too!! :bigsmyl:  :thumbsup:  

JAG/Johnny    :laughing:
IBEP - Chairman Alabama
"May The Good Lord Keep Your Bow Arm Strong and Your Heart and Arrows True!"
TGMM Family of the Bow
PBS Regular Member
Compton Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©