3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Dropping down in bow weight  (Read 183 times)

Offline gonetocamp

• Trad Bowhunter
Dropping down in bow weight
« on: December 28, 2011, 11:59:00 AM »
Hello to all. This is my first post but I have been reading info from this site for over a year. I come on here everyday for info and love it. So I decided to join up. I have been shooting traditional bows since 1980. The latest for the last 20 years was a Bighorn recurve. With shoulder problems the 60# bow has become a problem. I'm in the market for a new bow in the 45# range. I'm trying to decide between a Tall Tines recurve and a Schafer Silvertip recurve. I thought some could give me some insight into these two bows. Thanks for your help.

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dropping down in bow weight
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 12:25:00 PM »
Welcome! I have two silvertips and love them both. The lowest weight silvertip that I've shot was 52@28 or 53@28, but it kept right up there with my 62@28. I really don't think you would be disappointed with either bow. Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide!    :campfire:
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 12:34:00 PM »
I dropped 10# down to 50# about 6 years ago never looked back.
Ether bow is a great choice.

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 02:30:00 PM »
Welcome to the 'Gang.    :campfire:    :archer2:    

I can't help with the bows though, I'm a longbow shooter.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 02:51:00 PM »
If you have a long draw length then it really doesnt matter at all. With that being said my friend shoots a 40lb bow and kills deer every year.

Both companies you asked about, well your going to get a lot of differen't opinions.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline Steve95

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 09:49:00 PM »
I have dropped weight many times. I think it is what we all face. I also drop weight as the season goes on and the temps drop.

Offline straight_arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 10:12:00 AM »
Bjorn is right on!  Good luck with your decision on a new bow.
"They're all trophies"

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 02:34:00 PM »
I have 2 Schafers that I shoot that are 50# at my draw length . They are excellent deer hunting machines , if you try a Schafer out make sure it has the checkered grip. I feel they are  the best recurves made for hunting.
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 03:04:00 PM »
You've narrowed your choice to a couple of good ones. I've owned both.  I still have one but traded the other in short order. Purely an aesthetic preference for me.

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 06:38:00 PM »
Over the last several years I've droped from 80# a few lbs. at a time to 50#. The only problem I have run in to was my release. It took me about a week of shooting to get use to the lighter weight.
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 09:32:00 PM »
Use to shoot high 60s# then to low 60s#, now high 40s# to low 50s#. I find with the lower weights I can shoot longer and it doesn't hurt after.

Offline Pinelander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 09:46:00 PM »
I too shot a 60# Bighorn recurve (for about 10 years straight), and then went down to 50# for a while, and now I'm at 45#, and even 40# when it's REAL cold. No problem killing deer, that's for sure. Both of the bows you are looking at are good choices, although there are scads of different bows available these days. In the last 6 years, I've owned and hunted with a different bow each year. They all shot well and killed deer no better or worse than the previous year's bow, lol. Have fun!

- Dave

Offline donw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2011, 10:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by The Whittler:
Use to shoot high 60s# then to low 60s#, now high 40s# to low 50s#. I find with the lower weights I can shoot longer and it doesn't hurt after.
sounds just like me now days...     :clapper:
i was told by a sales person, when purchasing an out-of-date newpaper that it was out-of-date...

i told her "i've been told i'm out-of-date, too"...

does that mean i'm up-to-date?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©