3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shot my new SBD string and found out it sucked....  (Read 360 times)

Offline AKCrazyhorse

• Trad Bowhunter
Shot my new SBD string and found out it sucked....
« on: December 28, 2011, 03:05:00 PM »
...sucked the very wind from my lungs that is.  I've shot SBD strings on several other longbows (ACS, Centaur) and always have been pleased with the materials, construction and performance. So, when I decided to dress up my Saluki Scythian, I just had to have a new 8 strand SBD for it.  I contacted Pierre some time back and he honestly was swamped with orders from the rest of you string maniacs and just didn't have the time to undertake this new project.  Well, I was crushed but appreciative of his honesty.  I contacted several other string makers who I am sure would have done a great job but my heart was set on a SBD string.  So I held out.  I was not disappointed.  Shortly before Christmas Pierre indicated he had the time to try and make a string.  I took my current 12 strand string off and mailed it away.  On December 23rd my new string arrived with the old one.  What I'm about to relay is common knowledge to all you SBD customers but c'mon.  Do you ever get tired of hearing a sunset is gorgeous, or ice cream is delicious, or gentlemen prefer blondes?  I didn't think so.  The string was an 8 strand psycho hunter.  I asked that the it be served to fit an easton X nock.  I strung the bow and set the brace and nock height identical to my previous string.  I then shot about 20 shots and let the bow sit, strung for two days.  When I went back to her the brace height hadn't budged.  I then installed my hush puppies and shot another hundred or shots over a couple days.  Yesterday I headed for the bowshop (which catering to the compound crowd has a 30 yard range, hooter shooter and a chrono).  I took ten shots with each string, drawn to exactly 26" on the hooter shooter, adjusted and adorned identically to each other.  The SBD string was 6 fps faster.  My only concern was the lack of serving around the enlarged loops, but after a couple hundred shots there are no signs of  premature wear or fraying, so I'm good to go and ordering a backup.  Like you all know, it's impossible to say enough good things about the product that SBD bowstrings produces and the customer service that they provide.  Thanks Pierre!

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shot my new SBD string and found out it sucked....
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 03:37:00 PM »
While a bit curious at the title... I think you got ole Pierre's attention when he gets around to it!   :biglaugh:  

That is quite a tribute. Never saw anyone go to the fuss and bother of doing Hooter Shooters and measuring one string's efficiency against another! Cool!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 03:56:00 PM »
It's been said you can't tell a book by it's cover...now I can see you can't judge a thread by it's title. I too like my SBD strings and I find about the same 5-6 fps speed increase with mine.  :saywhat:

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 05:11:00 PM »
My experience with SBD strings has been similar. The strings are outstanding, and dealing with Pierre and Jean-Pierre has been great.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 09:33:00 PM »
I agree with everything you have said, with exception to the statement that gentleman prefer blondes, ;-p
62" Craig Warren Black Timber 3PC T/D Recurve: 48lb @ 28".

Offline Onestringer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 10:00:00 PM »
you got me.   :)
Sights, SIGHTS, we don't need no stinkin sights!!!!!

If Geronimo shot a Black Widow, you would be speaking Apache.

TGMM Family of the Bow

http://www.onestringer.com

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 12:54:00 AM »
looks great.  i like my SBD 6 strand string alot. will be staying with SBD for my string maker
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline Pierre Lucas

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 09:35:00 AM »
Originally posted by AKCrazyhorse:
...sucked the very wind from my lungs that is.  I've shot SBD strings on several other longbows (ACS, Centaur) and always have been pleased with the materials, construction and performance. So, when I decided to dress up my Saluki Scythian, I just had to have a new 8 strand SBD for it.  I contacted Pierre some time back and he honestly was swamped with orders from the rest of you string maniacs and just didn't have the time to undertake this new project.  Well, I was crushed but appreciative of his honesty.  I contacted several other string makers who I am sure would have done a great job but my heart was set on a SBD string.  So I held out.  I was not disappointed.  Shortly before Christmas Pierre indicated he had the time to try and make a string.  I took my current 12 strand string off and mailed it away.  On December 23rd my new string arrived with the old one.  What I'm about to relay is common knowledge to all you SBD customers but c'mon.  Do you ever get tired of hearing a sunset is gorgeous, or ice cream is delicious, or gentlemen prefer blondes?  I didn't think so.  The string was an 8 strand psycho hunter.  I asked that the it be served to fit an easton X nock.  I strung the bow and set the brace and nock height identical to my previous string.  I then shot about 20 shots and let the bow sit, strung for two days.  When I went back to her the brace height hadn't budged.  I then installed my hush puppies and shot another hundred or shots over a couple days.  Yesterday I headed for the bowshop (which catering to the compound crowd has a 30 yard range, hooter shooter and a chrono).  I took ten shots with each string, drawn to exactly 26" on the hooter shooter, adjusted and adorned identically to each other.  The SBD string was 6 fps faster.  
Thanks Roger for clearing that up...   :laughing:  

Happy New Year and God Bless,  Pierre
>>>--TGMM Family of the Bow---->

"if you're not living on the edge, you're taking up to much space..." God Knows!
>>>----->  SBD...Bow Strings ..."not just another bow string"   www.sbdbowstrings.com

Offline AKCrazyhorse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 10:41:00 AM »
Figured it might get a few looks Pierre. Thanks again for making the finest string to ever brace a bow!

Offline WRV

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 11:09:00 AM »
It got Me!! SBD strings are all I use now.
Morrison Cheyenne TD 60" 50@28
Black Widow PSAX 60" 53@28
BUNCHA BIGHORNS
Genesis 27:3

Online fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 11:10:00 AM »
Whew! Had me going there... as I just ordered one and can't wait to try it out.

Thanks for "the rest of the story".

:scared:
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline Pinelander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 08:42:00 PM »
Interesting... I have a Saluki Turk arriving in a day or so, and had been wondering how a flemish twist would work on the bow. Appears to be working for you! I love building strings, thanks for posting those photos, Roger!

- Dave

Offline Smokey84

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2011, 11:52:00 PM »
:biglaugh:  

Amazing looking bow AKCrazyhorse! Love to shoot one of those sometime.

Offline johnpaul68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2012, 04:23:00 PM »
Totally agree!!! The finest strings on the planet....

JP

Offline caleb7mm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2012, 04:27:00 PM »
I have two of his strings and completly agree with the OP!
Hoyt Dorado 45&50lb

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2012, 05:19:00 PM »
Duh, what is a "hooter shooter?"  I mean, I know what hooters are, ya' know, but...???  :confused:
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline AKCrazyhorse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2012, 06:22:00 PM »
A hooter shooter is a shooting machine that holds the bow, and draws it to exactly the same distance every time. It takes the falibity of being human out of the equation therefore giving the most accurate, meaningful results.

Offline AKCrazyhorse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2012, 06:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by Smokey84:
 :biglaugh:  

Amazing looking bow AKCrazyhorse! Love to shoot one of those sometime.
Yah Saluki's are as curvy and "sexy" as a bow can get.

Offline T-D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2012, 07:12:00 PM »
WoW! I am a sucker   :clapper:    :biglaugh:  
I love SBD Strings they are the best!
Resident Hog Slayer

Offline Shortlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2012, 07:12:00 PM »
SBD are nice strings. Customer service is top notch as well.
Ask me about the Professional Bowhunters Society.
Bobby Parrott

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©