3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: a few more questions frlom a newbie  (Read 421 times)

Offline MTArrowLauncher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
a few more questions frlom a newbie
« on: December 29, 2011, 03:14:00 AM »
So i will be getting a call from Jim at Black Creek Bows pretty soon to finalize my bow specs before he starts building it, so i had some questions to make sure im prepared when i get it.

#1. Aside from wax on the strings and wiping it down if it gets wet, is there any special maintanence for a 3pc T/D or anything you need to do to the bow occasionally? (like leather needs dressing every now and again, knives need oiled, etc ). This is my first bow i am buying and its a custom bow so i want to make sure it is super well taken care of from the begining.

#2. With a T/D, how do you keep the string so it doesnt twist and change the BH etc? Is that where the string keeper comes in, and if so how do they work?

#3. I am in AK and will be pursuing all AK has to offer critter wise so i want to make super i am sufficiently set up for it, I originally told him 55@28, but im debateing if i shouldnt jump up in weight to 60 or more, any thoughts on that????

#4. I want to shoot woodies, how do you know where to start spine wise to tune your bow?

Any other info you want to throw my way that could be helpful would be much appreciated too.

I am planning on hunting P.O.W. next Sept so i will be flinging arra's like crazy from the day i get the bow til i leave for the island  :)

I am super excited as im sure most of you know the feeling. I dont have the disposable $ to play with lots of different bows at this point in my life with my growing family etc, so i am hoping to luck out and have a good connection with this bow, it will be a 62" Siren T/D Mercassar Ebony and Cocobola riser with Osage accent lines with antler tip overlays.

Happy holidays

Fin
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: a few more questions frlom a newbie
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 05:42:00 AM »
sounds like you want to do alot an that is good.however I would start with one thing at a time you frist need to get the bow.55lbs is alot you may or may not know this. I dont know how new you are.if it were me I would go 50 lbs at the most 45 would be fine as well.as far as woodies go you should learn the bow frist. you dont want to hassle with the spine problems an in consistance of wood at frist learn your new bow.start off with carbon quick an easy to spine tough arrow to shoot,you will miss from time to time.woodies take a little time to figure out an that should be handled as another project woodies are great I shoot them my self.good luck ED

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 06:14:00 AM »
Originally posted by MTArrowLauncher:
So i will be getting a call from Jim at Black Creek Bows pretty soon to finalize my bow specs before he starts building it, so i had some questions to make sure im prepared when i get it.

#1. Aside from wax on the strings and wiping it down if it gets wet, is there any special maintanence for a 3pc T/D or anything you need to do to the bow occasionally? (like leather needs dressing every now and again, knives need oiled, etc ). This is my first bow i am buying and its a custom bow so i want to make sure it is super well taken care of from the begining.

it's a hunting bow, it'll be fine with the care you mention, but don't be afraid to drag it through the bush, mud, heat, rain, snow and freezing cold   :D  

#2. With a T/D, how do you keep the string so it doesnt twist and change the BH etc? Is that where the string keeper comes in, and if so how do they work?

leave the bow strung all the time, there is NO NEED to unstring a modern stickbow unless it needs to be specially transported - in which case, just leave the string on the unbraced bow ... unless it's a t/d stick bow and there is a need to break it down, and in that case when the string is removed bring the two string loops together and hold 'em with a baggie twist tie so they don't untwist.

#3. I am in AK and will be pursuing all AK has to offer critter wise so i want to make super i am sufficiently set up for it, I originally told him 55@28, but im debateing if i shouldnt jump up in weight to 60 or more, any thoughts on that????

the honest truth is to shoot whatever holding weight you can consistently and accurately CONTROL at all times.  imo, from what i've read and seen, 55# is quite capable of killing any critter in north america

#4. I want to shoot woodies, how do you know where to start spine wise to tune your bow?

do yerself a HUGE FAVOR and start with carbons - they are FAR AND AWAY more durable and actually easier to tune than woodies.  DO build and shoot some woodies, but at least from the get-go, stay with carbon shafting.

Any other info you want to throw my way that could be helpful would be much appreciated too.

DON'T BE OVER BOWED.  select and/or work at a bow holding weight that you can MASTER and control, and BE ACCURATE with DURING THE HUNT (not just in yer warm and comfy living room).

good luck!    :wavey:  
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline team fudd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 07:08:00 AM »
Rob x2- good luck on a great adventure!

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 07:52:00 AM »
Wow Rob!

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 08:01:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bowwild:
Wow Rob!
what'd i do wrong?    :campfire:

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 08:09:00 AM »
Rob,
Not a thing in my opinion.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 09:32:00 AM »
I think Rob took care of your questions really well.  When I break down my takedowns I carefully remove the string to keep it from unwinding at all, and pass the top loop through the bottom loop, then pass the the bottom loop back through the top loop.  I agree with the carbon suggestion, I would think in the damp climate of coastal Alaska wood arrows would take a lot of maintenance to make sure they are straight at a crucial moment.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline MTArrowLauncher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 01:49:00 PM »
Thanks guys,

Plumber- I have been shooting my recurve for the better part of this year, and i shot when i was younger, so i have a little shooting under my belt.

Rob- It will definatly be a hunting bow, character scratches are just another good reminder of a hunt  :)  . As far as breaking down the T/D, i was thinking to fit into a pack when packing into somewhere, or to fit in a little plane better, or to break down for travel back home to MT.

As far as arrows, i will take your guys advice and start with carbons and get used to the bow and shoot it, then i will look into woodies after that.

As far as the weight, i know its a big jump up from my 43# curve, but this was kind of a one shot deal to get a hunting bow (black creek bows payment deal) and it had to be adequate poundage to hunt with since i cant afford to get several bows to step up with it, so i will practice a ton and make sure  that i am ready before i hunt with it.

Thanks for everyones help  :)

Fin

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 02:26:00 PM »
Get yourself some books - the real ones!!  Something like Conrads beginners "The Traditional Bowhunters Handbook."  You will find a wealth of information.  It is a good start to a Traditional library.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 03:00:00 PM »

As far as the weight, i know its a big jump up from my 43# curve, but this was kind of a one shot deal to get a hunting bow (black creek bows payment deal) and it had to be adequate poundage to hunt with since i cant afford to get several bows to step up with it, so i will practice a ton and make sure  that i am ready before i hunt with it.too

Thanks for everyones help   :)  

Fin
43# to 55# is simply too large a jump, imo.  go to 50# instead.  if the bow is a 3pc, you can always get a heavier limbset.

Offline MTArrowLauncher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 03:31:00 PM »
ive seen lots of reccomendations from bowyers and other places that say if you are switching from a wheeled bow to trad, that you should drop 15# off of your compound weight. I shot 70# compund with no issues, so i figured 55# would be ok.

Is that not a legitimate comparison? (i am honestly asking, i dont ever want to come off as sarcastic or unappreciative  :)  )

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2011, 03:40:00 PM »
ive seen lots of reccomendations from bowyers and other places that say if you are switching from a wheeled bow to trad, that you should drop 15# off of your compound weight. I shot 70# compund with no issues, so i figured 55# would be ok.

Is that not a legitimate comparison? (i am honestly asking, i dont ever want to come off as sarcastic or unappreciative   :)   )
this is one of many trad archery areas where without trying, yer mightily gambling.  a 70# compound could easily be holding at 25# - think about that.  click on the first link in my sig line ..............

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2011, 04:02:00 PM »
I would try to borrow a 55# or 60# bow to see what it feels like.  It would be bad to spend the $$ on a custom bow that you can't or don't want to shoot.  #43 to 60# is a huge huge jump in weight.  Your accuraccy can drop off quite a bit.

Another question is, do you want to just take a couple of shots each practice session or do you like to shoot 100 arrows a session.  On the other side of the coin, it's just as bad to spend the $$ on a custom and it be too light that you want something heavier.  Or like Rob said get two sets of limbs.

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2011, 04:26:00 PM »
I would go two sets of limbs... one at 50 and one at 60 so you get a great progression, and if one give up, you have a back up. And to be honest, 50# is probably more than a nought, for everything!! as long as you stay well into your comfort range and that you shoot a heavy arrow... at the right place!!

Offline Mike Most

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2011, 04:32:00 PM »
enlighten an older fella please What is hunting P.O.W.?? It had a different meaning a few years back...  :campfire:
"It Shall be Life" (Ten Bears to Josie Wales)
------------------                Michael Most-Adkins Texas

Offline Buckwheaties

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2011, 05:02:00 PM »
43# to 55/60# is too much of a jump IMO. Go with the 50#der. Even a 43 to 50 is a pretty good jump. 50 will kill anything you'll shoot at and with a good 2 blade and fairly heavy arrow,good shot placement, no problem.. You can always get a heavier set of limbs later if you want to but 50's are good.. When you shoot alot of arrows like you intend to do, the 55/60 will tire you out too soon. You will even have to work at it for some time with the 50#der. Just my opinion..
"Don't listen to what they say, watch what they do."

Offline MTArrowLauncher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2011, 05:09:00 PM »
P.O.W. is Prince of Whales Island.

Thanks guys, i am looking into maybe 2 sets of limbs. The legal minimum to be able to hunt everything in AK is 50#.

I live in a fly in village in W. AK, there is noone here that can let me shoot their bow, because i dont know that anyone in the village bowhunts.lol.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2011, 07:24:00 PM »
X 2 with what Rob said. A 55# bow with a fairly heavy arrow and just about any of the coc type heads (2,3, or 4 blade) will kill any game animal in North America.
James Kerr

Offline MTArrowLauncher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2011, 07:45:00 PM »
Heavy arrows and a super sharp 2 blade is my intentions for a hunting set up.

thanks guys

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©