3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: a few more questions frlom a newbie  (Read 422 times)

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: a few more questions frlom a newbie
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2011, 08:07:00 PM »
arrowlauncher, If you are a big strapping fella take your pick, but if you are average sized look around on this site and you will find posts of folks who take elk with 40 ish # bows. Heavy tipped arrows with sharp 2 blade broadheads as you mentioned is the ticket. IMO start with the #50 you mentioned. It's a fact a bow of that weight with heavy sharp two blade broadheads will take any black bear or deer or elk on POW island. I lived on the Kenai and hunted Kodiak and #50 with that setup is perfect. Start there putting your energy into learning to shoot well, not struggling with too heavy a bow.

Offline MTArrowLauncher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2011, 09:09:00 PM »
Thanks stujay, i dont know about strapping, but i, 6'1" and not light lol. Deer and blackies arent my concern in wanting a little more oomph, its the Moose , but you are right, a sharp BH behind the shoulder and it does not matter if its 50# or 55#.

thanks guys
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline Tomas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2011, 10:42:00 PM »
If you are  6'1" your draw length may be 29" and if you order a bow #50@28" you could be drawing 52#. Another reason to stick with #50. Do you know your exact draw length?

Offline MTArrowLauncher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2011, 10:47:00 PM »
i draw 28"

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2011, 11:17:00 PM »
Heck yeah on hunting AK.  I jumped from 43 (my first bow) to 50 without too many problems, but agree on 43 to 55 being a big jump without at least trying that weight.

Can't believe at 6'1" you only draw 28".  I'm almost 28" at 5'9" (in shoes).  Have you checked your draw lately?  Mine has gotten longer as I've shot more and settled into a form.  Also could be how you are measuring it.

Enjoy the new bow whatever you choose.

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Offline MTArrowLauncher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2011, 11:45:00 PM »
IDK, i went into the bow shop when i was living in Missoula, MT and they had a bow set up with a measuring arrow deal,and he said I was dead on 28". maybe longer, im not sure. If it is longer, than i guess the weight ive been pulling on my recurve is a little heavier than 43#.

Offline German Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2011, 11:10:00 AM »
Agree with others about over bowing themselves. HOWEVER........In my opinion and if it were me, and you already got a 43# recurve then I'd be completly comfortable with 50# especially since thats the state minimum.
My current weight is 53# and it feels really good. But I do have a 57# and my son has a 45#.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2011, 01:29:00 PM »
If your 6'1" I believe you would have around a 29-20" draw. I am 5'10" and draw 27.5"
James Kerr

Offline skilonbw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2011, 05:32:00 PM »
I don;t know about that being a big jump I just tried a bow that was 10lbs heavier than my current setup and had no problem shooting and drawing back or rushing the shot. I guess it depends on quality of the new bow compared to the old. My example is pulling a Bob lee and then trying the Hitman bow which I found to be more smooth drawing then my Bob lee. So something to keep in mind.

Offline skilonbw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2011, 05:35:00 PM »
I found for draw length the best measure is not say a arrow at the end of the bow but the old spread the wingspan on a flat wall and have some someone mark and then measure and divide by 2.5 to be more accurate myself.

Offline MTArrowLauncher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2011, 05:49:00 PM »
thanks guys, the new bow is about a thousand times better quality than the old.lol

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©