3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Skinny string making question..  (Read 140 times)

Offline Auzoutdoor

• Trad Bowhunter
Skinny string making question..
« on: December 29, 2011, 05:51:00 AM »
Hi a quick question for you guys making skinny strings please..Do you have a formula for shortening the string as the string gets thinner.?I guess it is because as the string is thinner as it wraps around its self when twisted up it does not shorten as much as the thicker strings and I am having probs with them being to long.The jig I use is a home made one with two rows of nails in one end and the movable pegs on the other end.I used to make them all spot on but have been a bit hit and miss since I started with the 10-12 ts plus strand strings(the old ones had 16-18 dacron
Cheers KIM
Australian Outdoor and Archery

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
Re: Skinny string making question..
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 05:59:00 AM »
what you relate is one reason why low strand count strings (or any strand count strings, for that matter) are just easier to produce more consistently as an endless build rather than flemish.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 06:58:00 AM »
Kim,

I'm not an expert but what I have done is use a different nail.  Example, if the string is for a 66" bow and it comes out too long, make a note of it and next time use the peg for a 65" or put in a new peg at 65 1/2".  I don't make that many strings so I need to keep good notes so I can refer to them the next time I get my jig out.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 07:11:00 AM »
I find I have to move one notch shorter for an 8 strand D97 for most bows. Since I just make strings for my own bows, I just pencil a note right on my jig. With 10 strands and above, I can usually stay with the number. You will still have to experiment a bit and take notes, either in a log book or on the jig because bows with lower brace height may take a longer string than those with a higher brace height.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 11:27:00 AM »
A lot of things come into play here.

First thing, take good notes.  

String length will vary with different materials, endless or flemish.  Some materials will stretch more than others.  Make the string, make a note of how you measured it, what material it was, number of strands, etc.

Low strand count strings stretch more, regardless of the material.  Some materials stretch less than others, but they all have some degree of strech and creep (stretch is elasticity, creep is elongation that doesn't recover when the tension is removed).

The fewer the strands, the more precise you have to be with the length because it takes more twists to change the length as the string gets "skinnier".

Use a board that goes by string length, not bow length.  If your board is labled by bow length, convert it to string length.  Not all bows the same length get a string the same length, and you may need a shorter or longer string depending on the string material.  You'll still need to make some adjustments depending on strand count and string material, but this eliminates one variable.

If you take good notes, pay attention, and measure everything as you go then you should be able to make either type string consistently.

Chad

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 11:34:00 AM »
Well you dont need my 2 cents as you got the hole dollar from LBR    :goldtooth:  Best advice from the best.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©