3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Help on 45# bows by new member  (Read 172 times)

Offline gonetocamp

• Trad Bowhunter
Help on 45# bows by new member
« on: December 29, 2011, 07:19:00 AM »
I'm dropping from 60# to 45# and I shoot a recurve bow.  Haven't bought one yet but could use any information on what to expect with this change. If you shoot around 45# what have you learned and how effective is this weight. Other than sharp broadheads and shot placement what could you tell me. Thanks

Offline WhiteOaks

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help on 45# bows by new member
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 07:28:00 AM »
1. I shoot better.
2. I can shoot longer.
3. Tune the arrow properly.
4. Sharp 2 Blades.

Pay attention to arrow weight and I think you will be pleasantly surprized at what a 45 can do.
I've seen many animals taken with a 45 and several pass thrus. Best of luck with your 45# and welcome to Tradgang. I'm sure some of the old timers will chime in soon.
A world of opportunities awaits upwind but nothing waits downwind.

HH Wesley Special
Two Tracks Echo
Mohantongo Redtail
Mohawk Sparrow Hawk
Bear Alaskan
Bear Super 48
1958 Bear Kodiak

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 07:37:00 AM »
gtc, a few years ago i had to make the switch from longbows in the 50-55# range down to the 40# range due to a left shoulder and hand injury. The only thing that bothered me at first was my release. It just did not work as well as the heavier bows as I had a fluid draw and release and had to make a few minor changes. As far as effectiveness it will do fine on deer sized animals and smaller. In the last 3 years I have taken a 4pt. and a doe, but I limit myself to a 15 yard zone to make absolutely sure to get a good and ethical kill. When I deer hunted for the first time at the age of 14 in 1962 I used a 35# Pearson bow my uncle bought me and it worked just fine at the proper range so I have no doubt that you will be just fine.

Offline Matt Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 07:54:00 AM »
my favorite wt. however i agree with earlier post that i have to pay more attention to my release and form (some of this could be the grip) to get as good of arrow flight as with heavier bow. On another post i found out from a well-respected archer that olympic shooters often use light weight bows for practic b/c it shows flaws in form more.
good luck
matt
"If God didn't make an outside, I wouldn't have fun." Summer - my 4 year old daughter

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 08:02:00 AM »
Optimize your overall arrow design and you will have a will have lethal set-up.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline DuffyRP

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 08:19:00 AM »
I don't know if you shoot woods but I have a hard time tuning woods to bows 45# and less.  I have several bows from 55#-65# shoot woods fine but my 44# requires carbons. I would suggest an arrow with a small diameter like the axis for better penatration.
United Bowhunters of Illinois
Traditional Archery Society
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline sswv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 08:47:00 AM »
all I've shot since I switched to trad are bows under 50#s. my primary hunting/pleasure bows are 46/47#s. I use carbon arrows (sometimes wood) and very sharp cut on contact multi-blade heads. total arrow weight with the carbons is 450 grains (about 600 with woods) and I have NO problem killing deer/bear here in southern WV. I don't get a complete pass thru everytime but heck, I didn't get a complete pass thru everytime when I shot 70+# wheel bows.

jus my 2cents

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 08:56:00 AM »
All my curves are 44-49 #s in draw weight.   I shoot Beman MFX Carbons with 2-blade single bevel broad heads. Last year my arrow weighed 414 grains. Two double lung pass throughs at 21 & 16 yards. I saw both fall in just over 50 yards.

If, at 60#s you were holding at full-draw with your arm muscles instead of back muscles, you may experience release issues without the higher draw weight ripping the string from your fingers.

Offline gonetocamp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 10:16:00 AM »
Thanks for the input. This has already been a big help. I do shoot port orford cedar arrows. I may have to experiment with some other materials. Will have to study up on the carbons and others. Thanks

Offline donw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 11:18:00 AM »
Originally posted by DuffyRP:
I don't know if you shoot woods but I have a hard time tuning woods to bows 45# and less.  I have several bows from 55#-65# shoot woods fine but my 44# requires carbons. I would suggest an arrow with a small diameter like the axis for better penatration.
i shoot Blackhawk and Gold Tip carbons from my 40-45 lb recurves.

i had the same experience with woodies.   :cool:
i was told by a sales person, when purchasing an out-of-date newpaper that it was out-of-date...

i told her "i've been told i'm out-of-date, too"...

does that mean i'm up-to-date?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©