3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Just had to "bite my tounge"  (Read 452 times)

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
Just had to "bite my tounge"
« on: December 29, 2011, 04:32:00 PM »
I was visiting the local archery shop today to drop off a Bear skull and a Bobcat skull from animals I have taken in the past, as additions to a dislapy they have containg a Cougar, Elk and couple Black Tailed Deer Skulls..

An older fellow comes in who seems very new to trad, but is anxiously looking for suitable arrows for a new 50# Bamboo backed Osage Long Bow, he has just recieved.  He approaches the owner for advise...

He's really looking for "woodiies".  However, being a c-bow  oriented shop [that has recently entered into the budding x-bow sales in our  state] they have none in stock nor any others that are fletched with feathers...

He is immediately told 500 crabons won't work... as they will too light...   :knothead:   He is then told that 2219's cut to 31" for his 29" draw will be just the ticket [ they happen to have that size in stock] when tipped with 125 gn field tips.   :rolleyes:  

At this point, being the guy I am   :dunno:   I have to ask... "How far is that bow center cut "too" or "past" center?"  

He never answers, and the owner does not pick up on what I have just asked.   "[dntthnk]"   . At that point, the deal goes on, to the point of 12 new camo 2219's with basic 3 5" feathers to the tune of $100 ordered.

Finally, I get the guy off to the side and find out what type of bow he has. At this point he says "Do you think they will be too stiff?"  I shake my head yes, and give him my phone number and the suggestion he give me a call and possibly meet up with a few of the guys here, or who belong to Traditional Bowhunters of WA..

Sad  part was, I have about 2 dozen 2219's with brand new fletch and long enough for him which I don't even shoot out of center cut 58# bows.

I would have given him a few of these [if he chose to want to keep and shoot them], and the use of my indoor shooting range, and supplied various 300-400- and 500 series carbons for him to try before laying down that $$$.

However not wanting to up-set the store owner, him loosing the income, and me loosing his friendship,  I just bit my tounge thru all of or most of this...

Guy's if your new to this sport... DO NOT BE AFRAID TO ASK some questions before laying out that hard earned cash...

There are several guys and gals here, and possibly shooting trad. bows at the shops with ranges you frequent, many with years of experience... Take advantage of their knowledge... I and I'm sure most others who are passionate about this sport are also more than willing to help you out.

I'm carring my cell phone ..but still no call from him.. I'm not sure what more I could have said or offered in that situation?

Gene
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Just had to "bite my tounge"
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 04:36:00 PM »
I probably would have spoke up and suggested he shoot that arrow setup before buying. I wouldn't consider someone who sells something to someone they can't use a friend. JMHO

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 04:48:00 PM »
That kind 'a thing happens every day....it's to bad but what can you do. Just think about the ones you don't see.......
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Stick n' String

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 04:58:00 PM »
Most archery shops I have been to as a customer, even the older shops who were around before "modern" equipment arrived on the scene, possess very little knowledge when it comes to traditional bows. There are obviously exceptions to this rule, but those shops focus on compound shooters and all their various bells and whistles. Will the guys at the archery shop try to help you if you ask them for arrows? Sure. However, the advice they give (however well intentioned) is likely ill-informed. I certainly appreciate the desire to patronize local archery dealers. You are almost always better off posting a question on this or one of the other traditional archery forums and seeing whether that advice reaches some sort of consensus. You will at least learn something along the way and will be better equipped to ask your local dealer the right questions or simply have them order what you want.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 05:01:00 PM »
Makes me appreciate my bow shop (the only trad bow shop left in the area). When I went in looking for arrows, we went through half a dozen different bare shafts until one flew pretty decent. I bought a dozen had them fletched, but left full length to do some tuning/learning. My kind of shop!
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Online medic77

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 05:03:00 PM »
You have done what you could and I hope to run into someone like you if I am clueless on a subject.  Tough spot you were in.
You're Off to Great PLACES!
      Today is YOUR day!
You're MOUNTAIN is Waiting.
  So....Get on Your WAY!  - Dr. Seuss

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 05:17:00 PM »
I think I would have to say something. It would be better for your friend to have a repeat customer then one who ends up pissed.
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline Trad 4 life

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 05:24:00 PM »
you did good "carroll" i would have totaly done the same!

Online Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 05:32:00 PM »
Tough situation... but then your friend (the shop owner), knowing traditional bows is a speciality of yours, and saying so to the customer, could have amicably included you in the conversation to get your thoughts on the matter.  

No shame in that... but then, maybe less profit.
May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 05:37:00 PM »
That stinks,and he should call you if he was smart.
  I think it was P.T.Barnum that said "theres a sucker born every minute"
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 05:37:00 PM »
That's a pretty common scenario, unfortunately.  I've heard some pretty horrendous suggestions coming out of archery proshops.  Some of the worst offenders around here are the shops that have a smattering of traditional stuff. They basically recommend what would work out of a similar weighted mildly cammed compound. I've seen them put guys in an arrow that has over twice the spine they need and less than 7 grains per pound in weight.

I understand being ignorant of any given subject, but to be ignorant of the needs of a segment of your customers is frustrating to say the least. Even a few hours of study could get them relatively up to speed.

Offline beendare

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 05:41:00 PM »
I had the same thing happen in a Cabelas- sales guy pushing Rage BH's to a new compound shooter like that was his only option.

Then I got some bad advice at Home Cheapo regarding some products for an Ipe sign [I double checked with mfr].Plenty of bad advice on the internet too...its everywhere really.

The way I see it; 1.A guy has to be an educated consumer, 2. and develop a strategy for determining WHO to get your advice from. Plenty of guys who  "Learned from a guy who learned from another guy"....and none have ever really learned the correct technique....but don't take that from me! Grin
You don't drown by falling in the water; you drown by staying there.”
― Edwin Louis Cole

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2011, 06:59:00 PM »
I believe I would have said something. The closest trad archery shop to me is in Little Rock, Ar. The man who owns it and does most of the work in it is a traditional shooter.
James Kerr

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2011, 07:02:00 PM »
Happened to me when i first got started, but there wasn't anyone there to save me.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2011, 07:06:00 PM »
Stupid is as stupid does!  Is this the local shop that I visit? I have helped a few folks in front of the owner.  While not amused he let me guide them in the right direction.   Pro shops are normally so far off on arrows that I cringe when I hear shooters asking for them.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2011, 07:11:00 PM »
I think I would have tried to save the new guy from wasting the $100 and hopefully also him getting a bad start into Trad archery  with gear that would not work for him ...    :dunno:
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2011, 07:20:00 PM »
Gene, Don't think there is much more you could do. I believe I've been in that store in Vancouver, nice folks but only the big guy, not owner seems familar with trad gear.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2011, 07:25:00 PM »
I would expect good advice from a pro shop.  I think you did well, especially taking him aside.  I have been at this long enough to have started asking questions out loud and boxing things into a corner.  That quickly establishes that the pro really doesn't know.

I would also have expected my friends to be real people, and give good advice, including "I don't know" if appropriate, and not be pro shop wizards that have little experience but know it all.  I have seen enough of that in my life.
ChuckC

Offline boznarras

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2011, 07:52:00 PM »
You said he ordered the arrows that the shop suggested.
Expect his call after the arrows are taken home, and he shoots them long enough to realize something isn't right. If he doesn't just give up, at that point he will be ready to pay attention to you. Until then, you have done all you can.

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2011, 07:58:00 PM »
I'm one of those guys that wouldn't be able to keep my mouth shut. Politely, I would have injected myself into the conversation to save this guy some grief and wasted $$$
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©