3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: NC Hunters - Looking at 2012  (Read 203 times)

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
NC Hunters - Looking at 2012
« on: December 30, 2011, 08:21:00 AM »
Our main hunting season here (Coastal NC) ends Mon. evening. After the dismal disaster of a season I've had this year, I will endeavor to find a shotgun rider to make a trip (or two) with me next year. If I can/do I will try my best to be a part of a hunt in SC, at least, and to find some better, available places here. I simply refuse to let my hunting seasons end on this sorely feeble note - good Lord willing - and that is the good part about this season - it fires me up for next year -      :D    

I will admit that after a couple (few) figurative "road-blocks" and "mud holes" encountered this past season (personal and otherwise), my drive , energy, and ,yes, even desire sort of suffered, and left me not as fired up as I would like to have been. However, (in my defense      ;)   )  it has been mighty "skinny" for all hunters I've talked to in this particular area this year. The only deer I saw this year (at all times, in all situations) was a family of 3 or 4, bounding through the cut down, out my back door, behind my range, the morning after Thanksgiving. At that, they were being closely driven by a pack of large Walker type hounds. Still made me feel good to at least see them go bounding by (I didn't hear any shots either - you go, deer!      :archer:
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Longbowwally

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: NC Hunters - Looking at 2012
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 07:37:00 PM »
Sorry to hear your season was not a good one Bernie. I refuse to hunt an area thats hunted with hounds as it makes patterning deer for bowhunting almost impossible - and it sounds like your area is hunted that way.

SC has some good public land hunting based on my past experiences hunting there but the non-resident fees can be kinda high.

I believe GA may be the place to go for public land hogs and deer - maybe even bear based on some of the threads I've seen here and on the GA Outdoor news forum. I haven't looked into the non-resident fees but from what I've read on posts by others I think their license fees are more reasonable than SC - but I may be wrong about that...

Maybe we can talk more about this at one of the shoots this year....
LONG LIVE THE LONGBOW!

Wally Holmes

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 07:50:00 PM »
i agree bernie, hunting has been tough this yr. i didnt give up, hunted when i could and saw some things happen , that made it very exciting and interesting, and educational. ive learned alot from this season.there definately has been some highs and lows this season, i dont regret a bit of it. my experience , allthough shared with friends over the phone, are mine to cherish. i gained a lifetime memory from this yr, and will never forget it. bernie, i will shotgun for ya, or drive and you ride shotgun. im game for bow huntin s.c. give me a holler  when you are ready rv
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 07:55:00 PM »
Sounds like our year up here. Between the warm weather, Mosquitos and nocturnal deer it was very hard to get motivated. I got one and I'm thankful for him.

I am definitely looking for a lease next yr. Tired of the public land bs.

Here's to next year !!!!

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 09:26:00 PM »
I aint killed a deer this year either. Been real lean around here. Did hit one with my truck one night. DB
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 11:54:00 PM »
Bernie,

You're welcome to meet up here in Uwharrie. If you or anyone else is interested I can scout it out for you. The only bad thing about my section, Birkhead, is no wheeled vehicles allowed. So if you hike way in and get one you gotta drag it out.

I have a small 21 acre tract I hunt also. I can take two guests on that tract at a time. It's knee crawling thick in spots. There are two campgrounds nearby and plenty of motels. Primitive free camping is allowed in Birkhead.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 12:50:00 AM »
Didnt see alot of deer this year either but I did take a nice doe with my longbow and missed a 8 point with a recurve , I think the lack of deer sightings was due to the Heavy acorn mass and warm weather . I live near the Uwharries but have not hunted there since I was a young boy with my Dad one time . I would love to get together with some tradgang members and do a hunt there but I dont know the land and would need to be pointed in the right direction a few times .
" Live long and prosper "

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 01:47:00 AM »
Guys,
I had a tough season too. Coyotes moved into the land I hunt and the deer found a different place to live. As you develop a plan for the 2012 season, I would be interested to join in the planning.
Best regards.
Joe
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 01:48:00 AM »
Guys,
I had a tough season too. Coyotes moved into the land I hunt and the deer found a different place to live. As you develop a plan for the 2012 season, I would be interested to join in the planning.
Best regards.
Joe
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Scrub_buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2012, 11:31:00 AM »
Although I don't live there now, my family has a farm NE of Raleigh in Franklin Co. I have been making a trip there every year for the last 5 years for early bow season. I got lucky and killed 1 deer this year and had close encounters 2 more times in the 4 days I hunted.

Deer seem to be plentiful around the farm and on adjoining landowner's places, but my uncle noted that as the rut approached in Nov. most of the deer he saw were right at dark, and 99% of his game cam pics were well after dark. It seemed to be a 'normal' year there with deer sightings as logged by me and my Family there, except for them becoming primarily noctournal in Nov.

It was being circulated that this was the final year for legally hunting deer with dogs in 'our' county. I am not sure this is correct, but it would only take a phone call to substantiate that.

I grew up hunting deer with dogs, and its a fine way to spend a Sat if you have plenty of land to hunt, don't mind brandishing a good scattergun, and have a good group of guys that respect the landowner's wishes. I kinda hate to see a old tradition like that go away, but times change and I know that the development in that neck of the woods has made it increasingly difficult to run dogs without stepping on toes.

Offline WRV

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2012, 05:49:00 PM »
The closest I got was 2 bucks at abt 40 yards. came REAL close with the truck on several occcasions. I would much prefer to use my VPA's to a Dodge.....Randy
Morrison Cheyenne TD 60" 50@28
Black Widow PSAX 60" 53@28
BUNCHA BIGHORNS
Genesis 27:3

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2012, 10:51:00 PM »
Season ender tomorrow not looking good. High winds.

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2012, 11:13:00 AM »
Oh, boy. I posted this thread and then sort of lost track of where it went, somehow. So, I missed everyone's answers until this AM - LOL

I really appreciate all of the answers, (and kind offers) and I had no intention of ignoring folks - just got busy taking Christmas decorations down and getting the New Year ushered in - LOL

I hate that it was so skinny for everyone else as well but then it is nice to know it wasn't just me (or my underarm deodorant).

Wally, Ruddy, Mark, Don (funny to see how you learned a alternate hunting method from Trish, Don - hard on your vehicles though - LOL), Bud, Joe, Sandy, and Bill - thank you one and all for your responses. I think it would be a neat idea to stay in touch through a thread (like the one Bud had going last year) as we look forward to the 2012 season, do our stump shoots, etc, and big shoots, scouting, preparation, whatever. Perhaps - we'll see. In any case, thanks again for the interest/concern.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2012, 12:11:00 PM »
I used yesterday in the high winds to cut a trail through some briars I've been meaning to conquer. I didn't have my bow with me even though my purpose for doing it was for bow season this fall (strange....this fall..already 2012). I had the shotgun. I felt like I was a traitor. But I hoped to run up some coyotes or something in that thick crap. Even so, visibility was only about 20 feet at most on many spots.

I want to make a few areas accessible in the event I get some TGers to hunt with me next (I mean this) year. There aren't many trees in the area big enough and in good spots for tree stands so ground blinds will be the only option.

2012 is upon us.

I'm already planning for Sept.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2012, 04:52:00 PM »
You are definitely a go-getter, Bud.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline T Lail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2012, 04:58:00 PM »
one of the worst years ever for seeing deer in our area.....lots of coyotes and way too many people.....
NCBA Life Member
Compton Member
Carolina Traditinal Archers
Bowhunter Education Instructor

Offline GRS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2012, 05:13:00 PM »
x2 on what Tony said. We hunt private property mostly and I had the smallest number of sightings that I have had in many years. Last year was pretty slow, but this year was terrible. Found 3 carcasses picked clean. Not sure if it was just coyotes or dogs too. We saw dogs chasing deer on 2 occasions.

Gerald

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©