3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: nocking point  (Read 257 times)

Offline volcanomil

• Trad Bowhunter
nocking point
« on: December 30, 2011, 08:21:00 AM »
Does anyone out there still use brass nocking points?  If so how many - 1 or 2?  Do you place the arrow above, below, or in between?

I have a new string coming from Oliverstacy and was wondering about nocking points.  I see and have seen tie on points that people have used and was wondering if this is a better way to go.

Is there anything (article, video, old thread) out there that explains or shows a new guy how to tie on a nocking point?  I suppose most people are using serving material to tie on?  How thick, I see they come in different sizes?  Do I need a serving tie machine like they sell at 3Rivers?

I know it is alot of questions, but I am still trying to figure some of the finer points out?  Thanks and Happy New Year to all....

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: nocking point
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 08:33:00 AM »
Blackstick you beat me to it.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline stickbowmaniac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 08:37:00 AM »
I usually use a brass nocking point until i get a new string broke in good.i nock under the brass nock.When your ready to tie your nocking point after string has broke in i use serving material.You do this by just tieing simple half hitches rotating from the back to the front of the string.make 1/8 to 3/16 long.you can doulbe back over if you want it thicker.When done just done just burn the ends to they get down to the not.wet your finger or just use a little spit to put flame out and pat against nocking point.Hope this helps.Oh buy the way a brass nocking point slows your bow anywhere from 3-5 fps per brass nocking point.
Dryad Orion 58" 49#@28"
Static limbs
Kodiak Magnum    52" 50#@28"

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 09:27:00 AM »
stickbowmaniac...where did you get that info on nock point and arrow speed? I've been around a long time and this is the first I have heard this.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 11:47:00 AM »
I'm curious also, cut your speed 3-5fps? I guess us guys that are using 1 over and under are losing 6-10fps? Huh

Offline gregk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 01:05:00 PM »
3-5 ft per second????  :confused:    :confused:

Offline mmilinovich

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011, 02:11:00 PM »
I use brass.  Why?  Because they work.

And, no, they do NOT cost you 3-5 fps.  If that were true, most string silencers --- regardless of type --- would cost you several times that.

Mark

Offline mikebiz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 02:12:00 PM »
Here's a great video for tied nocks.  I use two, one above and one below.  Totally adjustable just by twisting the nock point.  Only issue is getting the tightness down just right.  Too loose and they will slip a little.  Too tight and they won't turn.  Good luck.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=107748#000000
"...and last of all I leave to you the thrill of life and the joy of youth that throbs a moment in a well bent bow, then leaps forth in the flight of an arrow." - Saxton Pope

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011, 02:47:00 PM »
Don't mean to rain on anyones parade, but a sting nock can  cause loss of speed.  Here is an insert from a major manufacturer

"A brass nock means a speed loss of 2-4 fps."

Any thing placed on a string, especially in the wrong location will constitute a loss of speed.  Try moving your silencers while shooting through a chrono graph and you will prove it to your self.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline rainman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2011, 06:11:00 PM »
I don't believe 10 grains on a string, if a nock ways that much is going to slow a bow 2-4fps.  Hopefully a bowyer who has done the research on a machine will chime in.
Semper Fidelis
Dan Raney

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2011, 07:03:00 PM »
Anything you add to a string, changes it's natural oscillation and can cause it to move slower at points.  It has been proven via high speed photography and shooting through a chronograph.  Here is also what is written as to the definition of a bow string

"Mass has most effect at the center of the string; one gram of extra mass in the middle of the string slows the arrow about as much as 3.5 grams at the ends."

The point being is that one brass nock point will slow the arrow down as much as your string silencers do!!!!!!!!!!!
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2011, 07:14:00 PM »
I will back the statement that you lose speed with anything on the string depending upon placement.  Back when I shot a compound and used to do what some call "super tuning" we would check the position of the string silencers by shooting through a chronograph.  It some positions you would lose as much as 5 fps but at others positions and depending upon the nock material, you could actually gain a fps or two.  When those were on a string, to improve speed, they were called "speed nocks".  

I don't really consider the potential loss of a few fps anymore, it's all about shot placement for me.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2011, 09:41:00 PM »
I've always used one brass nockset on my bowstring.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2011, 09:10:00 AM »
I got away from the brass crimp on nocks years ago. Seems like I had trouble with them slipping from time to time without serving them or supergluing.
they were also a little rough on my shooting gloves and tabs.

Now I serve my nocking points on so there is no possibility of them slipping. Seems like anything that's not solidly in place will slip sooner or later and I'd rather not take the chance.

Once you find the proper location for your nocking point it doesn't change even if your brace height changes.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2011, 09:16:00 AM »
Here's my tied in nocks:

I use what you call a "ten knot nock" above and below my arrow nock. Works great.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2011, 09:40:00 AM »
I use a brass nocking point for tuning, then replace it with two tied on nocking points secured with glue.  Lots of good reasons for using two nocking points, not the least of which is if one moves it will be noticeable.
String silencers go where they quiet my bows the best.  That they slow a bow down somewhat is a given.  How their location impacts speed is irrelevant to me; it’s all about silencing, not speed.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline stickbowmaniac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2011, 10:21:00 AM »
Bill got the info for the brass nocking point slowing a bow down from a bunch of testing at my friends pro shop.Not just trad but on compounds to.
Dryad Orion 58" 49#@28"
Static limbs

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Offline stickbowmaniac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2011, 10:37:00 AM »
Looks like a nice setup ishoot4thrills
Dryad Orion 58" 49#@28"
Static limbs

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2011, 10:37:00 AM »
Charles; I am not challenging what you are saying. I have been around this sport since the mid 50's and this is the first I've heard of such findings. If it is true there must be a written report somewhere that we can all reference....sorta like Blacky' s bow testing. If I had a chrono I would do my own testing but I don't. People, like Charles Lamb, who have stopped using brass nocking points have not noted any change in performance in their set ups and their reasons for changing had more to do with the practical problems often associated with the brass ones and not arrow speed or performance.  If what you say is true then we need to do some research on serving materials as well. Again, not challenging what you are saying...just want to know the source of your info so I can verify. I think that having been around for so long and read so much that I would have heard about this way before now. Bowyers get somewhat ramped up if they get a limb design that gives them a few fps faster limbs.  If the type of nocking point makes the difference in speed you allude to I would think they would be aware of it as "common knowledge".
The best things in life....aren't things!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©