3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Black Widow's New Bow .. The KB?? :(  (Read 641 times)

Offline Irish Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Black Widow's New Bow .. The KB?? :(
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2011, 05:35:00 AM »
I agree with ya Ben. That's just life.

Offline GMASIUK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2011, 07:24:00 AM »
I have two pchx that are identical specs just different woods. These two are my favorite bw bows. I had a third pchx that I sold only because I ordered the low grip and couldn't get used to it.

At one time or another I have owned or shot all the bw models, and still own a few of them.  The pch is IMO their smoothest drawing bow. As far as small sight window I don't have any problems with it and, I shoot vertical with NO cant.

That being said I am in the market for another BW but I'm not sure if it will be the KB or a PTF.

Black Widow doesn't make a bad bow, just different models for different tastes kind of like chocolate and vanilla.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2011, 07:48:00 AM »

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2011, 08:38:00 AM »
Having owned and shot ALL the Widows, bought my first new one back in 1996 and still have it, IMHO the PCH is the best handling/shooting takedown the've built so far. Hope they have a good selection of KB's to shoot in Kalamazoo, I'll be taking one home if it shoot's like I think it will. Suprised by the addition of a new one piece to their line-up, Yes. Disappointed, not at all.

:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Blacky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2011, 09:03:00 AM »
I think BW is in business long enough to make wise business decisions. If the PCH wasn't a good selling bow (flop?), I guess we would have never seen a KB model. Why making the same mistake twice. As for the sight window, some people even like the PSR model with pretty much no sight window. To each his own. Just choose the bow for your application. If you shoot your bow vertically, then the KB is not for you.

If the PMA would be the best selling bow they have, then one could bet that a one-piece MA would already exist. It's a business, that works with demand and supply. And the few people who want one here in the forums are just a small part of the big picture.

As for longbow limbs for existing PSA or PCH risers, I think that will be a no-go. The deflex riser platform will not work well with longbow limbs. That's the same with deflex ILF risers and longbow limbs. Too much brace height to be effective and fast. Or they would have to put a lot of reflex in the longbow limbs which would make the bow not as smooth anymore.

If they would stay with their concept and would create a brand new 3-piece longbow....it would look like a Habu bow and everybody would accuse them for copying the Habu design. So they cannot win in this case either.

I guess they know how to use their resources to stay in business.

Blacky
Shoot straight and keep'em sharp

Blacky

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2011, 09:13:00 AM »
When basing an opinion of observations; this thread says it all.
If you have no hard facts to base a statement on, just count the number of satisfied customers for the PCH here, vs. the non satisfieds.
Just my observation.
Ken Thornhill

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2011, 09:27:00 AM »
I have shot hundreds of bows in the 4 years i have been shooting trad, i have got the fever so bad sometimes i feel like i'm going to explode.

The best shooting bow i have ever owned was a PSA X Osage with Copperhead skins and 62in.

I tried the PCH and i shoot 3-D style and it wasn't for me but if you cant the bow then theres no problem.

I sold that PSA X not because i didn't like it but just had to have some money fast.

Back on my feet and i will be ordering that same PSA X in febuary when they come to the spring fling.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2011, 09:53:00 AM »
Originally posted by T Sunstone:
Hey Terry, it takes a real man to hunt in flip flops in Texas.     :help:    

On further inspection...I see the real hunters on the ends....the guy if flip flops aint got no bow!!!  He's an Imposter...only posing with hunters.    :biglaugh:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2011, 10:04:00 AM »
Well....String Cutter,....you've reloaded for the last time.

This sort of posting is common from you, so don't say you 'hate to stir the pot' cause you do it often.  We get alerts often about your baseless outbursts, and its gotten old.  You post this stuff just to get a rise out of folks.  You have broke the golden rule here at Trad Gang over and over....This is a bowhunting forum, where folks share their experiences....not a baseless opinion forum which you seem to think it is.

I know, its all my fault, I should have pulled this one from the 1st alert.....but, I gave it a chance to work out.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2011, 11:20:00 AM »
I have had a few BW's and they were fine bows.  I shot them as well or better than most.  I find the supernatural performance claims that some make are baseless.  But every custom bow has those that believe they are most bestest ever    :D    And to them they are!

With that said, I thought the PCH was a grand idea and I'd love to shoot one, but shooting one would lead to owning one and that's something I can't do right now.  

However, I was a little underwhelmed with the KB (just being honest).  For me the PA model had it covered on the shorter one piece and would still be my pick. But I have sense enough to realize I am just one guy and you don't make or break a decision on "one guy".  Also, I was guilty of riding the wave of speculation and enthusiasm leading up to this new bows release.  Thus my expectations for a completely "out of the box brand new" idea were unfounded.  You might say I let myself down, I reckon that was the case with a bunch of folks.

BW is a great company, an American institution even.  Theirs is a well deserved reputation and in their own style, have something for just about everyone.  I suppose expecting them to do something that is not their style is like looking for a cow to lay eggs.
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline dad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2011, 11:21:00 AM »
I have the PCH 44#@28 with 60" limbs right handed. I've shot them all and the PCH is the smoothest for me. I did the try before you buy program and really put the bow through a lot of shooting. I have Arthritis in my hand and fingers I can shoot this bow with out pain! That can't be said for a lot of others. I will be getting either a lighter set of limbs for 3-D and leagues around 35# or I might get another complete bow. I would use the 44# for hunting. I will be going to Kalamazoo Expo in January to shoot the lighter ones in draw weight. I have had the bow for 4mts. and have no complaints. It shoots better for me canted. If it wasn't for this bow I don't know if I could continue to shoot traditional like I have been for the last 40 years The KB bow just appeals to the one piece bow shooters. My friend has a PTF and would never own a take down. He has shoot Widows for years. I will shoot a KB at Kazoo to see how I like it. If I do I will order one if not, then another PCH in lighter limbs. Just for the record the PCH is my first ever Black Widow new or used.

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2011, 02:23:00 PM »
Those guys at BW seem pretty smart to me... smart enough to know that if a 3-piece model was a flop (the PCH), then it probably wouldn't be good to model a one-piece after it.  

I hear nothing but praise for the PCH bows.  I've shot them a number of times, and liked it quite a bit myself.  If I had the money, I'd add one to my collection.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2011, 04:08:00 PM »
I was hoping the new bow would be a longbow with a forward recurve handle. That's the model I am waiting to give a test drive! I think that a number of people(not everyone) were hoping for some type of longbow. Either a one piece or takedown. I hope thet they make one someday.

I was honestly dissappointed it was another recurve, but I guess you gotta stick with what butters your bread. I'm sure there are a lot of guys happy with the new curve. I personally was hoping for a longbow.

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2011, 09:10:00 PM »
The bow is just what i thought it would be. i dont know why any one would think it would be somthing else.

you have the PMA 3 piece take down, then the MA one piece.

Then you have the PSA 3 piece take down, then the PA one piece.

Now you have the PCH 3 piece take down, then the KB one piece

Makes a hole lot of since to me.

People who like a short one piece will love the bow
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: December 31, 2011, 12:57:00 PM »
Two problems exist with the 3-piece LB offering.  

#1:  According to informal conversations that many have had with BW people (me included), the longbow limb concept just doesn't work with their existing risers.

#2:  Over 80% of the bows that BW sells are recurves.  Their market is the recurve shooter primarily.  To delve into the LB market even further is a risky business move.  Even with the raves that people give over their existing PL longbows, they still account for only some 10% - 15% of the bows that they sell.  The rest are recurves.  A short one-piece recurve could potentially appeal to 80% of their target market, but a 3-piece LB appeals to a much smaller segment of the traditional archery population, per their business mix.

I think that a 3-piece R/D LB with back-mounted limbs would go over well, but it would involve a lot of research and development, as guys like Kirk Lavender and Steve 'Sixby' have attested to over and over here on TG.  It would also require an entirely new line of limbs to interchange with the new risers.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: December 31, 2011, 04:25:00 PM »
Looking forward to Kalamazoo to try one.
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: January 01, 2012, 12:14:00 AM »
Originally posted by Archie:
#2:  Over 80% of the bows that BW sells are recurves.  Their market is the recurve shooter primarily.  ................
Over 80% of the bow models are recurves.  6 and now 7 recure models with only one LB. Hard to sell as many LB with that line-up.  Why not make some more bows for the LB market?  Believe me the LB market is there. Their market is the recurve shooter because they do not have much to offer the longbow shooter.  Too bad because they make great bows and the PL is a nice one.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©