3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Yearlings  (Read 1009 times)

Offline greenie

• Trad Bowhunter
Yearlings
« on: January 15, 2007, 12:04:00 AM »
I was wondering if anybody would know when it is time for the yearling deer and old doe to part ways does the yearling take up residence off someplace else,or vice versa. It would seem feasible that the young deer would stay in familiar surroundings and the mother that is better equipped at survival move off. But then again maybe the doe stays to raise her new fawns in the same area?

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Yearlings
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 12:18:00 AM »
When a young buck becomes sexually mature, usually his second fall, his mother will run him out of town. This keeps them from cross breeding. A young doe usually stays with her mother and family group forever, at least in the same general area.
   When hunting and you have a chance at a doe and her yearling buck, take the doe if possible. That way the buck will stay around his home area. Also, by hunting season, most fawns are able to live on their own without the aid of their mother.    Pat
   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 12:25:00 AM »
"Normaly" The yearlings are chased off by the bucks before the doe comes into heat.

However.....It is not uncommon for the doe fawns to hang around and become part of the "lead" doe's group.The buck fawns will pretty much fend for themselves over the winter and any remaining in the area will be run out by the pregnant does before the spring fawn drop.This is natures way of preventing in-breading.

The yearling bucks will join bachelor groups and within them will develope thier "pecking-order".As the fall rut approaches and the chase phase begins the bucks expand thier range looking for does coming into heat.This further limits and prevents in-breading.

This is the way it "normaly" works.....There are ALWAYS exceptions though.....depending upon food,cover,etc.
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline greenie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 12:33:00 AM »
Pat Im asking because I would like to take a doe off my place before seasons end. I agree with the young buck comment as a matter of fact most button bucks have parted with Mom by this time of year.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 09:19:00 AM »
Greenie, If you get the chance, take her. Her fawns, especially by this time of year, are self sufficient. I would doubt she is still lactating now. Even if she is, her fawn should be old enough to survive on it's own. Late fawns may survive the winter if the conditions aren't too harsh. Pat
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 01:12:00 PM »
I would disagree with Pat on taking the big doe. She is gonna produce two fawns most likely and the young ones may not make the winter with all the coyotes we now have. The older deer has survived this long and will likely continue to do so. I know the odds are better for the old lady to make it and raise two fawns the next year. If ya are over run with deer than take the big doe, but not where I live. It also is the doe that runs the young'uns off not the buck, the young bucks at about 15-16 months relocate up to 5-7 miles away but usually 1.5 miles or so. The doe's stay as a maternal unit living in the same area there whole lives. Shawn
Shawn

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 01:53:00 PM »
Shawn, Where I live and where I hunt we have way too many does and the suggestion I made was suggested to us by one of our club members that has degrees from UGA in wildlife and timber management. We have been practicing quality deer management for the last 6 or more years and so far this route has worked very well for us.
 In other areas of the country you will have to go with what works best for your area. When in doubt, contact your local wildlife biologist for information about doe and fawn harvest. I personally don't shoot any small bucks( only 4pts on one side or better). With all the does around I'd rather let the little bucks grow up and take a doe.   Pat
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline MikeC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2007, 02:18:00 PM »
In my area of NJ shoot the doe any doe.
1 Corinthians 1:18

For the word of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us who are saved it is the power of God.

Offline greenie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2007, 07:41:00 PM »
Shawn, I know its not good management but as long as I'm not sweeping deer poop off the porch I never have to many deer around the place. My thinking is if the yearlings does are going to relocate anyway I might as well take one.   Thanks

Online Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2007, 08:15:00 PM »
I generally try to focus on the older does in the group.  They usually are a bit larger and put more meat in the freezer.  Were I hunt the rule is at least 18 mos. for does, spikes or 2 1/2 yrs old bucks, or better.  There is a game count done annually and a buck/doe quota set for each of the two manaagement areas.  When that number is reached then that segment of the population is off limits.  Seems to work.  The third largest non-typical ever killed in Texas was taken two years ago.
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member