3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Great Wing Shooting but Bad day afield  (Read 191 times)

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Great Wing Shooting but Bad day afield
« on: December 30, 2011, 12:44:00 PM »
Great Part:
2 days ago (12/28) I went Chukar hunting with some customers (all shotgunners) at a vendor event a few mile N. of York PA at the bigrbirdranch.com  (exit 24 off I-83) - you'll see why the location is pertinent.

Well I managed to shoot 4 Chukars in the air with my longbow and win a $500 bet posted by the host. I was on a great high. The dog handler even comments to me on the side that some of the guys with guns missed more than I did...lol (btw I am not that great of a shot. Yesterday was one of those zone days)

Bad Part:
Because I expected to be gone all day I took my non-hunting dog (Portuguese Water Dog) along. After lunch time I decided to let her trail the other hunters with me (off lead...big mistake) to see if she would react to the shots and the birds. First shots she seemed curious so we got closer and the next set she was a bit startled but came right back to heel. A moment later anther bird busted and she broke at the sound of the guns and ran about 50-60 yards off and started pacing.

The bird dog went on point again near me so I looked over and we quickly realized it was a wounded bird and woundn't get up. So I turned back to go get her and put her back in the truck, but she was gone. 9 people in the field no one saw her leave. My wife and I are besides ourselves and when my 4yo gets back from Grandma's this weekend he will be heartbroken. He calls her his big sister.

I've tried everything and then some for the last 48 hrs. If you live anywhere in that area and someone suddenly shows up with a new 45lb black curly haired water dog with a white chest patch that looks like the President's dog let me know. She has a microchip and a collar with a name tag.
TGMM-Family of the Bow

The quest to improve is so focused on a few design aspects & compensating for hunter ineptness as to actually have reduced a bow & arrow’s effectiveness. Nothing better demonstrates this than mech. BHs & speed fixated designs

Offline Scott Teaschner

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Great Wing Shooting but Bad day afield
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 12:51:00 PM »
I hope you find her. Keep us posted on what happens.
Scott
Don't ever try to be like any body else and don't ever be affraid to take risks. Waylon Jennings
Honesty is something you cant wear out. Waylon Jennings

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 12:56:00 PM »
It but Might be a little late to do this but whenever I lose a a dog while out hunting, I always leave my coat or an article of clothing at the place I parked the truck. Almost always the dog will come back to that area and be laying near the coat. Good luck, I'm sure you will get it back.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 01:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bill Kissner:
It but Might be a little late to do this but whenever I lose a a dog while out hunting, I always leave my coat or an article of clothing at the place I parked the truck.
Tried that the first night and even left some food too. The property owner checked it twice after dark and I went by in the morning (I live about 100 miles away). Nothing visited the coat not even a coon or coyote)
TGMM-Family of the Bow

The quest to improve is so focused on a few design aspects & compensating for hunter ineptness as to actually have reduced a bow & arrow’s effectiveness. Nothing better demonstrates this than mech. BHs & speed fixated designs

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 01:38:00 PM »
Sad news about Your dog Chopx2. Someone picked up / stole our dog ( a Olde English Bulldog ) back in June. We looked everywhere around home and put up signs with no response.

Somehow she got loose from whoever had her and returned home 1 month later with a new collar. Keep the faith hopefully someone will get Your dog home!!

bretto

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 02:04:00 PM »
Atonio,
   Did you lose it in Mryland lower eastern shore of Md.? I have a friend with some trcking dogs that might be able to locate your dog...Keefers <><

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 02:35:00 PM »
Keef,

The link shows where she was when she ran off...up near York, PA at a sports /preserve where they were hunting.

Chop even went up and put out REWARD posters yesterday...

Chops got a lot on his plate at home and this just takes it... but "hope springs eternal!"
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011, 02:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by bretto:
Somehow she got loose from whoever had her and returned home
I fear a similar fate. Hopefully between the posters and ads they will fear getting caught and call.
TGMM-Family of the Bow

Offline Dogboy900

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 03:27:00 PM »
I hope you find her.
Lost my dog for a couple of hours once after he chased a rabbit and got hooked up and stuck by the collar in some dense scrub. It almost drove me crazy trying to find him.

Good luck!

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011, 03:47:00 PM »
Sorry to hear she didn't come back Antonio. Hopefully someone has her rather than a highway accident. Losing a dogs is traumatic.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline ammoeater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2011, 03:57:00 PM »
Man, that's tough!  Hoping she shows up and you get her back real soon!

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2011, 04:15:00 PM »
Nice shooting and good luck finding your dog.  I'm sure she'll show up and some good semaritan will have enough sense to have her PIT tag read by a vet or the local SPCA.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©