3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Buying my first trad bow. Riser length question.  (Read 134 times)

Offline shedhunta

• Trad Bowhunter
Buying my first trad bow. Riser length question.
« on: December 30, 2011, 06:35:00 PM »
Buying my first trad bow real soon to learn with and hunt with next deer season if I am ready.  Thinking strongly towards a ILF recurve.  Researching and shopping around and was wondering what everyone's opinion was on riser length.  Seeing a variety of lengths available.  What are the advantages of each? is my major question. So I am a beginner to traditional, 5"10" tall, 27-28" draw, and I plan on starting out with 45-50# limbs.  I'm assuming a 60" total bow length?  Thanks in advance!!!  Shedhunta
Toelke whip 2 piece.  58" 50@28"

Offline flinthead

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Buying my first trad bow. Riser length question.
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 06:45:00 PM »
Some others are more knoledgable on this-I am about the same [28in. draw] and shoot 60 inch Titan w. med limbs and 17in riser just fine. Have been told by bowyers that the longer riser is better for shorter draws. Of course the target bows will be up to 70 inches long [25 in riser and long limbs].Have shot some 58in bows that shoot well, but can feel more finger pinch. One opinion, Roy
Maybe it is time to shoot what I have on the rack

Offline smokin feathers

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 06:49:00 PM »
for me i like a 14" riser to have more working limb which to me makes the bow smoother. I shoot about 27 1/2" draw and use a 62" most of the time.
Smoke

TGMM-FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline shedhunta

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 07:18:00 PM »
Thanks!  also I believe I will end up being a 3 finger under shooter.
Toelke whip 2 piece.  58" 50@28"

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 07:52:00 AM »
I would try Bob Morriso's riser and limbs that make a 62in bow. At least give him a call and he will shoot you straight. Also Dryad, Bob Lee, Black Widow, these guys have years of knowledge and they will steer you in the right direction, guarnteed.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline Cootling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 03:28:00 PM »
I have a Morrison 15" ILF riser and have used it with both medium (58") and long (60") recurve limbs.  I get better arrow flight, shoot it noticeably better, and like the draw better with the long limbs.

My draw is a wee bit longer than yours, so I think a 60" bow will be plenty long... and perfect.  In your shoes, I would get a 15" riser and long limbs rather than a 17" riser and medium limbs.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 03:32:00 PM »
Have a look at the Dryad site for their bows. They are a sponsor here.

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 03:50:00 PM »
I like a shorter riser making the limbs have a longer working section, rather than a longer riser and shorter limbs.  It helps make a smooth shooting bow.  Lots of good ones to choose from!

14" or less for me seems to be a good size.
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©