3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What is this sound used by deer hunters?  (Read 453 times)

Offline Scoobiedooo

• Trad Bowhunter
What is this sound used by deer hunters?
« on: December 30, 2011, 07:11:00 PM »
I have watched a few bowhunting DVD's (one being the Lakosy's 'Gettin Close' series and on a couple of hunts he has used a combination buck grunt and a 'hissing' / swishing sound made my his mouth to stop a buck.

What IS that particular sound and what was he emulating by it?  It was like a 'Sisssssss' sound.

???
Be nice to a nurse - you never know if or when your life or those you love life/lives may depend on us!

"Bless are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy." (5:7)

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What is this sound used by deer hunters?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 07:15:00 PM »
Almost any sound you make will stop a buck or doe. I generally just say YO, and they stop long enough for a shot. Though I don't know the sound you speak of.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline team fudd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 07:21:00 PM »
I believe what you are inquiring about is what is called a "snort wheeze"  it is typically used by a mature buck as a warning to lesser bucks to leave his does alone. It will make a big mature buck come running (sometimes)  when he thinks another big boy is in the area intruding on territory.  There are a couple calls available commercially that mimic it or you can learn to do it with your mouth with practice.  Hope this helps,  FUDD

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 07:23:00 PM »
Yep, snort wheeze

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 07:25:00 PM »
snort wheeze and a grunt. If you rattle and then do a snort/wheeze/grunt and a buck in near, They should come walking right in to Your set-up..

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 07:27:00 PM »
Team fudd nailed it on the head - snort wheeze.

Bernie Bjorklund

NC Iowa/SW Wisconsin

Offline Scoobiedooo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 07:31:00 PM »
Yup! That is it guys ! Thanks!
Be nice to a nurse - you never know if or when your life or those you love life/lives may depend on us!

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 07:47:00 AM »
I tryed that down here in south AL. about 4 times and all 4 bucks ran to Georgia.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline Scoobiedooo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 07:49:00 AM »
No kidding? I guess they were intimidated by it, eh?

It is said to be a warning to other bucks to 'get lost' with the does around me! LOL.

The first time I ever heard it was back in to 80's watching some rented VHS hunting movie from the video store. Wish I had that tape - it was some young blond guy shooting a Black Widow off the ground that made this call - and when I saw it - I was like "What in HELL is THAT - and WHY?"

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, 07:55:00 AM »
Deer up North and the Midwest don't get the hunting pressure we do down here. Those bucks in Ohio, ILL. and Kansas are so easy to hunt.

We are just amazed when we hunt these places and see 140-150in bucks respomd to a mouth bleat or grunt.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline Scoobiedooo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2011, 07:57:00 AM »
Yeah here in New York - I have never seen deer react much to my grunts, etc - but hey - maybe it's ME! They seem to just ignore it and keep going...or, it seems to scare them!

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2011, 08:42:00 AM »
the best sound to stop a buck is the sucking sound of a double lung pass through shot.

Offline team fudd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2011, 08:46:00 AM »
joevan 125,  I cannot believe you just said that.  "those bucks in Ohio, ILL. and Kansas are so easy to hunt"  REALLY?  If that were the case every hunters wall would be filled with trophies and I assure you they are not.  Lifelong ohio resident except for a four year hitch in the air force and I have exactly three big whitetail on the wall over 140".  I am also not your typical hunter who hunts a few weekends a year.  I hunt at least three to four days a week the entire months of oct nov and much of dec.  I assure you these deer were not acquired "easily"  but with a lot of time, hard work, and dedication. I have shot plenty of whitetail in between and almost always fill the freezer with the exception of last year but it is only through hours and hours of putting up stands, scouting and spending time in the woods, not because our deer are "easy"  I do believe we have more deer because of better habitat but I respectfully take exception to your post.                                       And as far as a deers reaction to a snort wheeze or a grunt it has to be done in the right context.  If you are "deep" grunting or snort wheezing at young immature whitetails they are most times going to leave the country because they dont want their butts kicked by a dominant mature buck. You are, most of the time, only going to call in mature bucks in the area who are willing to fight for breeding rights.  If you are "trophy hunting" like lee lakosky does, it is a good strategy to employ and can be effective.  If you are not concerned about antler size then many times a higher pitched grunt, that mimics a young buck or a doe bleat will be more effective.  Good luck to all,  FUDD

Offline Scoobiedooo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2011, 08:46:00 AM »
Originally posted by Uncle Buck:
the best sound to stop a buck is the sucking sound of a double lung pass through shot.
Mmmm, good point!

Well - I think in the video I saw - the hunter was not ONLY using it to perhaps stop a buck - but in fact, when Lakosky did it - it made the buck COME IN closer - which was what he was looking to do - as the buck was leaving and thus he was losing his shot/opportunity.

Offline Scoobiedooo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2011, 08:50:00 AM »
Originally posted by team fudd:
joevan 125,  I cannot believe you just said that.  "those bucks in Ohio, ILL. and Kansas are so easy to hunt"  REALLY?  If that were the case ever hunters wall would be filled with trophies and I assure you they are not.  Lifelong ohio resident except for a four year hitch in the air force and I have exactly three big whitetail on the wall over 140".  I am also not your typical hunter who hunts a few weekends a year.  I hunt at least three to four days a week the entire months of oct nov and much of dec.  I assure you these deer were not acquired "easily"  but with a lot of time, hard work, and dedication. I have shot plenty of whitetail in between and almost always fill the freezer with the exception of last year but it is only through hours and hours of putting up stands, scouting and spending time in the woods, not because are deer are "easy"  I do believe we have more deer because of better habitat but I respectfully take exception to your post.
I personally - haven't found ANY deer that were truly 'easy' to hunt HERE - because a lot can go wrong with scent, wind direction, etc. Sure - when I hunted with the gun it WAS easier - for sure - but even then, certain things had to be done right - stand placement, scent, wind direction, time spend IN my stand, movement when shooting or drawing the bow, etc. While I have had SOME deer seem impervious to movement, wind direction, etc. during the rut here when sniffing out my Tinks 69 scent rag hung up - it's rare that any of them just 'walked into my freezer!' I have learned - a LOT can still go wrong during a hunt - ESPECIALLY with older deer who HAVE been 'around the block' a few seasons and have smartened up pretty quickly!

Offline northener

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2011, 08:54:00 AM »
FWIW  The snort/wheeze, when used right will bring THE dominate buck in but will send subordinates a running for cover.
Intellectuals solve problem, geniuses prevent them

Offline Scoobiedooo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2011, 08:54:00 AM »
Ahhh I see...thanks Northener

Offline team fudd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2011, 09:02:00 AM »
scoobiedoo,  greetings to a fellow nurse!  Seven years in level 1 and ll trauma, now critical care and medicare, medicaid administration for the last four. People always say, "oh, you make the big bucks!"  I laugh and explain what I do to earn my living and without exception all but fellow nurses say "you can have that!!! not for me!!!  LOL

Offline Scoobiedooo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2011, 09:07:00 AM »
Welcome Team Fudd!

I have worked ER, OR, ICU, Med-Surg, Brain Injury, Cardio-Pulm Vent units, Visiting Nurse and currently as a Nurse Manager of adults with mental disabilities. I am a former EMT as well...saw a lot of trauma there - sadly.

It sure isn't for everyone! I sure paid my dues with plenty of mandates and 12, 16 and 18 hr shifts as well!

Offline ArrowAtomik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2011, 09:40:00 AM »
Growing up in Nebraska, I would agree to some extent with Joe Van that midwestern deer are probably a bit more prone to calling and I think certainly to estrus scent as compared to heavy-pressured states.

Also you might consider those deer are 200-300lb and heavier, some with a neck you can't put your arm around.  It could be those midwest brutes are generally a wee less cowardly to begin with than southern and eastern deer.  The MW deer seem to rut much more aggressively from my experience.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©