3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What is this sound used by deer hunters?  (Read 452 times)

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What is this sound used by deer hunters?
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2011, 10:38:00 AM »
In AL. our season starts Oct. 15 and ends Jan.31.

Take ILL. for example, how many days can a person hunt there with a shotgun, muzzle loader and a bow. Not that many days and not much hunting pressure so those bucks get huge and also there not getting pressured.

It is a rare thing to see a 110in buck in AL. until the pre-rut or rut.

When i go to our 455 acr lease in ILL. for 10 days i normally see several 130-140 class bucks walking right out in the OPEN picked corn fields.

We have had this lease 3 yrs and here is a list of the deer we have killed, we try to  shoot mature bucks because we have a 5 yr lease.

2009 season
135in with a bow
142in with a bow
156in with a shotgun

2010 season
158in with a bow
128in with a bow
120in with a bow
162in with a gun
178in non-typical with a gun

2011 seaason was very slow

115in with a bow
148in with a gun
132in with a gun

Thats with only 4 hunters hunting for no more than 20 total hunting days.

I have been hunting in AL. for 34 years in the Blackbelt known for big bucks and i am self employed so i will hunt at least 3-4 days a week.

We had 1,800 acrs of prime land with a ton of deer and lots of bucks. 8 points or better unless you bring a kid with you.

I spend at least 100 hours before the season scouting and hanging stands. We lost that lease and 6 of us had 32 loc-ons, 8 ladder stands and 12 shooting houses.

We normally killed 10-15 bucks and 20 does a year and most of the bucks were 8 pointers scoring 100-115in. A guest killed a 10 pointer 5 years aqo that scored 152 and weighed 220lbs live weight.

My biggest buck off that lease we had for 11 years was a 9 pointer that scored 128in.

OK then i go to ILL. Kansas and Ohio for 7 days and see 280lb 140in buck standing out in the MIDDLE of a corn field at 10 am, come on.

I have even hunted in Canada 3 times on a paid hunt and the first time i went my guides 4-wheeler had a gas leak and you could smell it when i stepped out of the truck.

Anyway when we got to my stand he told me to go ahead and load my gun and be ready, i thought he was crazy. While he was baiting my spot there was 3 bucks, 4 does and 2 fawns standing 20 feet from him and when he left it wasn't 15 minutes later i shot a 157in perfect 10 pointer.

Im not trying to start trouble but the deer in these states are so easy to hunt its not even funny. If i lived in one of these states i would have to add on to the house to hang all my big bucks.

Happy New Year Everyone and i love you guys.

:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  

Joe Van
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2011, 10:52:00 AM »
Certainly this buck is not a dominant buck by any means. However, making a long story short, after getting busted by another buck when I stood up to shoot, this one, which I did not know was feeing right behind me, got jittery and started to leave. I had just read about Barry Wensel and the snort wheeze so I did it to this buck. He didn't run from the sound but stopped and tried to find the deer that made it. Gave me a 15 yard shot and  here are the results. I use the method when I remember to do it. Should have done it twice this year...might have been a better year.

The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline team fudd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2011, 11:26:00 AM »
Joevan,  your experience does not correlate with the "average" hunters experience in these states.  Most of us do not have a 455 acre lease that is only hunted by four hunters.  I hunt 5, 10, and 20 acre parcels mostly and a couple that are pushing 50.  I am constantly running off trespassers and I cant tell you how many of the deer I encounter walk through the woods looking up into almost every tree like they are counting stars!  The reason your deer are smaller in alabama is twofold.  Genetics number one and available food number two.  When you have corn soybean and mast crops readily available nine months out of the year and the cover in which to flourish there is no debate as to why deer in this part of the country grow large.  The second is genetics.  The deer in the southern portion of the country have adapted over the years to lack of nutrition and consequently are smaller. Apparently those of us living in the "magic triangle" of big buck heaven are either stupid, inept or both because I know a lot of hunters and none of us has built an addition to house our trophies.  We shoot deer yes, but easy, no way!  Your opinions are based on your experiences which are not typical of the common man.  I am surprised you do not have a hunting show of your own with your abilities to kill huge deer at will I am sure you would be a hit!

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2011, 11:32:00 AM »
Nice buck and a good looking bow to go with it.

Let me try to explain my comments above on my previous post.

It is almost impossible, well it has been for me to kill a buck in the 140in range down here in AL.

We get lots of pictures on our cameras of some 130-135in bucks and we did get a couple of a monster that would score in upper 170,s.

I would say that when our deer reach 3 yrs old most of them are 99% nocternal.

It's just not like that where i hunt in ILL., Ohio and Kansas. Maybe we are just lucky and happen to have places with a large number of older bucks where the buck to doe raio is 2-1.

If you have never hunted in AL. and you came down here and hunted the whole season and then the next season you went back and hunted Ohio, ILL. and Kansas you would get what im trying to say.

Good topic guys.

Joe Van
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline team fudd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2011, 11:34:00 AM »
Joevan, also I would be very interested in hearing how many of those deer killed in alabama were mature, (greater than 4years old) deer.  Probably quite a few. Sometimes a trophy isnt necessarilly the deer with the biggest rack but the one with the most experience.  If you want an example of the way food can change a deer herds characteristics just look at texas.  I have seen many occasions when someboedy has taken over a ranch lease, made high quality feed available 24-7 and within 4-5 years they are shooting record book deer!!  I have hunted moose, bear, goats, mule deer, antelope and just about every kind of small game on the planet.  I save up for four years ,a hundred dollars a month, so that I can go on a hunt. It is worth it to me to make the sacrifice. Without exception the only animal I have found smarter than a mature whitetail buck in ohio is the coyote.  Sorry to hijack this post but I just could not take it anymore.  In our area our buck to doe ratio is on average 8 to 1 to as many as 20 to 1 according to the dnr

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2011, 11:39:00 AM »
team fudd that was a mean thing to say when all i'm doing is telling people my experience while hunting these states.

I haven't said anything to you that is hurtful or out of line, i do wish i had my own TV show though.  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Joe Van
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2011, 11:40:00 AM »
I know what your saying joevan, when I hunt in ohio or indiana the deer are not as skitish as our florida deer....

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2011, 11:51:00 AM »
Thanks Robertfishes he must be having a bad morning.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline team fudd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2011, 11:52:00 AM »
Joevan, if I offended you I apologize,  I am not sure what I said that could be construed as mean but you cant expect to make statements like yours and not have someone take exception. I am passionate about hunting.  Been doing it every week of my life in some form or another for over 35 years. It is who I am not what I do.  I have hunted these "easy" deer since I was eleven and bought my first bow and climbing stand (baker) with money I earned mowing lawns and loading trucks. I live in tuscarawas county. One of the top three counties in the state for producing large numbers of whitetails.  I know many many hunters in my area and with exception of a blessed few no one I know has walls full of P&Y bucks.  I meant no harm and like you am merely relating what  I have seen from past experience.

Offline Scoobiedooo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2011, 11:59:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bill Carlsen:
Certainly this buck is not a dominant buck by any means. However, making a long story short, after getting busted by another buck when I stood up to shoot, this one, which I did not know was feeing right behind me, got jittery and started to leave. I had just read about Barry Wensel and the snort wheeze so I did it to this buck. He didn't run from the sound but stopped and tried to find the deer that made it. Gave me a 15 yard shot and  here are the results. I use the method when I remember to do it. Should have done it twice this year...might have been a better year.

Nice buck there bro! Does anyone know if these' wheeze' can be found on U-Tube or somewhere? I have been seeking to find a video of it - but have not yet. I want to see if I an learn how to do this properly should I ever need it in my bag of tricks! I suppose I could play and replay my 'Gettin Close' DVD of Lakosky doing it on one of his and Tiffany's hunts together!
Be nice to a nurse - you never know if or when your life or those you love life/lives may depend on us!

"Bless are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy." (5:7)

Offline team fudd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2011, 12:01:00 PM »
flextone makes a call that mimics the snort wheeze very well.  You might want to look it up.  Good Luck!

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2011, 12:16:00 PM »
fudd you said

( I'm suprised you don't have a hunting show of your own with your abilities to kill huge deer at will i'm sure it would be a hit )

First of all i never said i had ever killed a bunch of huge deer, but if i lived near those 3 places Ohio, ILL. and Kansas where i get to hunt i would bet that i would need a lot of extra space.

Listen im done with this but i will say this, i have a good friend that hunts in Kansas on privat land and ILL. and Ohio on public land and he added on to his house only because he had so many huge bucks on the wall, in the closet and laying in the floor.

12 of his deer score over 150 and 2 are in the 160 range and he killed a giant in Ohio thats a non-typical this year but hasn't had it scored yet.

Joe Van
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline Scoobiedooo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2011, 12:16:00 PM »
Really? OK I sure will!

Thanks!

Be nice to a nurse - you never know if or when your life or those you love life/lives may depend on us!

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2011, 02:34:00 PM »
Joevan,  When I hunted Alabama regularly I had two bucks make a grunt snort wheeze.  On of them was right under my stand!  It was one of my best hunting memories.  

I called in one Alabama buck during the rut with that call that I know would not have come in otherwise.  When he came, he came to kick tail!  

But...Like you...I have run a few off as well.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2011, 02:45:00 PM »
I grunted a nice buck into range 1 time in 34 yrs. He was in a pasture about 400yds bedded down.

When he got up i grunted as loud as i could and he came running in full tilt.

Only time i know of where a buck actually responded to a grunt call.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2011, 04:33:00 PM »
I am blessed to have friends in southern Ohio,adams county..lots of corn and soybeans..

Offline Scoobiedooo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2011, 04:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by joevan125:
I grunted a nice buck into range 1 time in 34 yrs. He was in a pasture about 400yds bedded down.

When he got up i grunted as loud as i could and he came running in full tilt.

Only time i know of where a buck actually responded to a grunt call.
Yeah - I personally have never had great luck with grunting thus far. Where I have hunted here in NY it seems to scare them more than bring them in via curiosity or seeking a fight...

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2011, 05:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by joevan125:
Deer up in the Midwest don't get the hunting pressure we do down here. Those bucks in Ohio, ILL. and Kansas are so easy to hunt.

We are just amazed when we hunt these places and see 140-150in bucks respomd to a mouth bleat or grunt.
Fixed that...try hunting here sometime...

Ohio ain't that easy either,hunted there enough to know.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©