3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: School me on broadheads  (Read 219 times)

Offline MTArrowLauncher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
School me on broadheads
« on: December 31, 2011, 12:22:00 AM »
Please   :wavey:  

I am wanting reccomendations on 2 blade broadheads. Who makes the better quality ones, durable, sharpen well, etc. What have you guys used and liked?

thanks
Fin
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: School me on broadheads
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 01:08:00 AM »
Open up the website or catalog for any traditional archery shop... see all those broadheads? Each one of those has someone who will be happy to tell you it's high quality, durable, and is easy to sharpen. That individual will also be happy to tell you about game taken with the head.
I'm not trying to be unhelpful, just trying to show that all the heads will get you the same answers.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 01:20:00 AM »
VPA, Tuffhead, Alaska Bowhunting Supply, Silver Flame, Abowyer, and Grizzly are some of the premium (and expensive) heads. Lots of other good two blade heads are out there (almost too many to mention) that are less expensive but perform very well depending on what you are shooting. Some folks here brag about the STOS, Ace, Tusker, Zwickey and others for toughness and penetration on big animals, but except for the STOS that David Stinson has tested extensively with buffalo, I would not say that the other non-premium heads will stand up to the bones encountered in hunting really heavy animals. Then there is the issue of whether to use single or double bevel blades. Right now I plan to use VPA 300 grain double bevel Penetrator broadheads when I return to Australia next July to hunt Asiatic Buffalo again, but that may change as more information comes in about these and other broadheads and as I continue to test various heads myself.  

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 02:20:00 AM »
I like the magnus stingers.

Offline 8leg-lover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 03:03:00 AM »
Good ol Bear Razorheads. They're like Levis, they never go out of style and get better with age!
Carl Kossuth

"Currently shooting whatever strikes my fancy"

"PERFECT practice makes perfect"

Offline Desperado

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 03:11:00 AM »
3 blade..snuffers...no doubt (from my own experience)
2 blade..land sharks...no doubt (again, from my own experience)
HOWEVER..Grey is right...everyone will tell you something different, each from their own experience...the answer, keep 'em sharp and pass on any questionable shot!! Good luck & be safe!!
Desperado

Offline Breakfast Boy

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 07:38:00 AM »
The VPA 2 blades meet the requirements you stated (EXTREMELY durable, high quality, sharpen SUPER easy, fly well, etc.).  That being said, we don't currently offer a glue on 2 blade yet.  That's on the to do list, but until then we only offer the 3 blades in glue on (also very durable, fly well, easy to sharpen, etc).  Andy Ivy (tradtusker here on TradGang) did some testing of the VPA 2 blade and posted it on YouTube.  Just do a search for "VPA broadhead" and you'll find 'em.

Let me know if you have any questions about the VPA heads.  Hope that helps and happy hunting!

Jameson
VPA Sales & Marketing
[email protected]
-Jameson

Membership Secretary
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

www.comptontraditionalbowhunters.com

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 09:01:00 AM »
IMHO, any cut on contact 2-blade bh on the market will serve you well. Whatever you choose keep sharp. Prefer Ace 160 grains. Heavier wider bh's weren't available not so long ago. Bear & Zwickey 125 grain have killed a big bunch of large animals. As important is proper shaft weights to help increase momentum penetration.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 10:45:00 AM »
There are a lot of great 2 blade broadheads out there and 99% have already been listed you have to decide which one you want and how much your will to pay. The price can run anywhere from almost $100 for three broadheads to $25 for six broadheads. It is easy for me I shoot Zwickys there about $25 for six and I shoot at everything that is legal to hunt.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline Mac11700

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, 10:55:00 AM »
For a 2 blade head...I really like the looks and reviews of the Steel Force Phat Heads..I've always been a 3 blade guy...but next season...I intend to try these and see if they live up to the reviews..

Mac

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2011, 12:43:00 PM »
My favorite 2 blade cut on contact broadhead when I'm using a heavy arrow setup are STOS broadheads.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2011, 12:52:00 PM »
Open a 3 rivers catalog to the two blade BH page,close your eyes and put your finger on the page.That one...they all work...
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline flinter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2012, 08:39:00 PM »
Every one of these heads that have been listed will suit you well. The two most inportant things are to make sure that they fly straight and that you can get them sticky sharp

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2012, 09:18:00 PM »
Abowyer Brown Bears and STOS 160 gn.

Offline randy grider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2012, 09:23:00 PM »
I have the most experience, and kills with magnus 2 blades, but cannot see anything wrong with Zwickey (other than its hard to say),bear Razorheads,grizzleys, and allthough I have not taken an animal with it the Ribtecks sharpen real good too. (Just about cut my finger off with one a month ago)
its me, against me.
member KTBA,MCFGC,UBK,NRA

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©