3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Why a longbow?  (Read 1724 times)

Offline Smithhammer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why a longbow?
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2011, 10:31:00 AM »
I just like shorter, more maneuverable bows for hunting, whether they be longbows or recurves.

Offline Longbow917

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2011, 10:42:00 AM »
I shoot the hybrids, and there is never a handshock issue. They are light, quick, and quiet like everyone else has said.  It always amazes me at how deadly and efficient something so little can be.  And when your chasing mulies for miles in the grasslands of eastern Wyoming, they are a joy to carry vs. a heavier recurve:)  A lot of fun to shoot deer with in Iowa as well.  I love the look of more wood (we all like more wood)in recurves, but for shootability I will always go to longbows.  Although thos Lil' Favorites from LaClair sure catch my eye too!!

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2011, 10:43:00 AM »
I know this sounds trivial, but I love the way I can string and unstring my longbows without a bow stringer. I would never attempt that with my recurve. Other than that I just love the way my longbows feel in my hand. I own 3 longbows and only one recurve.
God is good, all the time!!!

Offline varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2011, 10:57:00 AM »
Hmmm you might be on to something...more luck.  The last time I used a longbow I took 3 deer that season.  The last few have been with a recurve and I've just taken 1 a year...hmmm.  Maybe I NEED another longbow again.   :)
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2011, 11:08:00 AM »
Folks today don't like to define things too closely (bows, arrows, aiming approaches, etc.).  I guess they're afraid it might make what/how they choose to shoot somehow less worthy of acceptance and admiration (egos are omnipotent).  So what some use and call a 'longbow' may be very different than how others might see it.  Your question is therefore a matter of which side of the definition line you're standing on.

What I would call a real longbow is essentially the Hill design...small simple low-mass riser, longer heavier higher mass limbs, little to no R/D mechanical advantage save perhaps a bit of limb backset, and no pretense of recurvology in either the design or shooting approach (get ahold of the bow, no target recurve mentality, find your rhythm vs. find your slide rule, etc.).  That's not a slam on modern (I shoot them, too) as much as it's a statement that there are real differences between modern and non-modern traditional bows, especially longbows.  

The non-modern (Hill design) longbow aspects combine to produce a bow and approach that is admittedly more difficult to learn.  And maybe not as 'comfy'.  But it rewards your sense of shooting satisfaction like no other approach can.  In addition to the nostalgic connection with past pioneers, old-style longbows help put (keep?) the challenge and keep out the too easy/too boring.  They make you think less about adoring at the alter of rifle-like accuracy and think more about the simple enjoyment of a bending bow and arching arrow.  These are good things.

There's too much overcomplication now.  Seems we're losing recognition and the taste for why the idea of longbows and simpler recurves appealed to us to begin with.  From plastic caca arrows to lumps of metal machined to look like wannabee compounds, things have approached out-of-hand status and we don't even much notice or care.  

A simple longbow and arrow and mindset helps preserve old-school and relieves some of the sting from today's techno-trad fad.  That's my take.

Online Jason Kendall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2011, 11:09:00 AM »
I prefer shorter hybrid longbows that shoot like recurves  :D

I shot recurves a lot growing up, to this day I still cant shoot a Hill style longbow worth a dang, I hit my arm with the string on every shot and I feel the shock in my elbow. It sucks, because they are beautiful to look at, the classy arch of the limb is just plain awesome.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2011, 11:34:00 AM »
Part of the whole trad thing is about a feeling we get.  We are part of something much bigger and don't even know it.  I believe with all my being that we are genetically geared for the pursuit.  We can't help it, it's inside us.

Some need a longbow to attain that feeling they seek,  some a recurve. .  some haven't gotten to the "feeling" yet.  

Jerry (Orion) made a statement that rebounded recently, and will,in part, again now:"When how you do it matters more then how big or how many...".  That statement has a lot of depth, much more than just a "stick vs compound" comment.

A longbow is not better (or worse) than a recurve, its just another tool towards attaining the goal.
ChuckC

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2011, 11:36:00 AM »
I shoot my 62" St. Joe River longbow better then any bow I own. Light in hand, smooth drawing with no hand schock. Plus it makes me look good and as you know I need the help.
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline Ghost Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2011, 11:47:00 AM »

Offline Pinelander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2011, 11:57:00 AM »
I have never felt as if my '64 Bear Magnum recurve was anything near to being awkward.

It is a featherweight of a bow, and compared to some longbows... it is lighter in mass weight.

- Dave

Offline Scoobiedooo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2011, 12:14:00 PM »
Good point - which was why I sold my Martin Jaguar recurve in lieu of a all wood recurve! Just didn't wanna 'go' the metal riser road, etc.
Be nice to a nurse - you never know if or when your life or those you love life/lives may depend on us!

"Bless are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy." (5:7)

Offline Smithhammer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: December 31, 2011, 12:51:00 PM »
The "history" of one versus the other seems like a moot point. Both longbows and recurves have long, illustrious histories that span many centuries. I think it just comes down to which "history" you want to focus on, or which speaks to you most.

Me? I like it all equally.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2011, 01:18:00 PM »
I buy all of it except the "because it's lighter" part. I have a locally made (Kevin Cramer) 60" 50# @ 28" recurve that is several ounces lighter than any of my longbows. Of course the LB's are several inches longer....  Truth is, I love them all. Would like to sell one of them to get the funds to buy one I just saw in the classifieds, but I really couldn't pick one to part with.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: December 31, 2011, 02:01:00 PM »
Lightweight to carry long distances.  Easy to string. Forgiving to shoot.  Easy to match my long draw length with no stacking.  Takes me back to a long ago time.  I prefer a low wrist grip.  I never have like recurve type grips, they feel huge and wrong to me.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: December 31, 2011, 04:08:00 PM »
I just like 'em better.

Offline Scoobiedooo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: December 31, 2011, 04:32:00 PM »
My hand just never 'feels right' on a longbow since i am used to it slipping into the throat of a recurve with a small throat. A longbow - to me - feels like just an 'oval' thing in my hand and not that comfortable per se. Maybe it's just me and that I have not shot one enuff or have gotten used to the feel of them, etc.
Be nice to a nurse - you never know if or when your life or those you love life/lives may depend on us!

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: December 31, 2011, 06:36:00 PM »
Originally posted by Scoobiedooo:
My hand just never 'feels right' on a longbow since i am used to it slipping into the throat of a recurve with a small throat. A longbow - to me - feels like just an 'oval' thing in my hand and not that comfortable per se. Maybe it's just me and that I have not shot one enuff or have gotten used to the feel of them, etc.
There are many r/d hybrid type longbows out there that have a recurve style grip.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline Scoobiedooo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: December 31, 2011, 06:42:00 PM »
Hmmm....will have to look into this ....
Thanks!

Offline kenn1320

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: December 31, 2011, 07:28:00 PM »
I shoot an ilf riser and have both longbow and recurve limbs. Actually the recurve limbs are of superior quality and performance. Looking at it from my perspective, weight is a wash on my set up. However the longbow limbs are much quieter and therefore I find they are the only limbs I shoot. Plus something about longbow limbs just seems more old school, even though I'm shooting a ilf rig. lol
I'm not a "deer" hunter, I'm a bow hunter that occasionally shoots a deer.

Offline Scoobiedooo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: December 31, 2011, 07:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by BWD:

Originally posted by Scoobiedooo:
There are many r/d hybrid type longbows out there that have a recurve style grip. [/b]
BWD - Who is making these hybrid-type longbows?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©