3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting Cabin Dimensions  (Read 515 times)

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Hunting Cabin Dimensions
« on: December 31, 2011, 01:31:00 PM »
We have an old barn that needs to come down. It has hewn log beams in it with wooden pegs holding it together. I would like to save what can be saved to possibly build a hunting lodge/cabin. My husband wants to push it down and burn it.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the smallest cabin dimensions that would still be roomy enough for say two hunters for a few days at a time. Also any other suggestions for how to convince my husband to try to salvage what we can would be great.
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline Smithhammer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting Cabin Dimensions
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 01:34:00 PM »
I'd say it kind of depends on how much stuff you want to have with you. My wife and I (and good-sized dog) lived out of a 14 x 14' cabin in the Yukon for 6 mos. quite comfortably. But it definitely made us very selective about what we really needed, and didn't.

Offline team fudd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 01:34:00 PM »
you might want to look into selling it.  If the beams are of good quality and some of the lumber is still in good condition there are buyers out there.  My father makes his living doing this but I dont think he travels that far.  Check around with local antiques dealers and they may be able to help you.. You might want to post it on that c@@@@@ list sight too.  good luck!

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 01:36:00 PM »
some old trappers cabins where just 12X8. I guess it depends no how much room You need. Those old barns where built to last so You should get enuff wood to built a 2 or even 3 room cabin.

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 01:38:00 PM »
I'm bett'n them old hand hewn beams are WORMY CHESTNUT. That old wood is beautiful and would be a sin to just burn it. That wood has alot of history. I've had turkey box calls made and some of the chestnut was 100 yr old from cabins. The sound was excellent.
A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 01:43:00 PM »
Some of the beams are huge and I've thought that anything very small might look odd with such large beams. I don't know.

Even if I don't get to use them for a cabin it would be nice if someone could use them. I also thought someone might like to buy them. He would be more apt to try and save them if someone would buy them.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 01:47:00 PM »
Whatever you have is probably more than enough, if you aren't claustrophobic.  I helped a friend take down and reassemble a hewn log tobacco barn for the same purpose.  I'm guessing it wasn't more than 15' x 15', but we added a loft for sleeping and 3 or 4 could hunt out of it quite comfortably. The only drawback was our woodstove was way oversized and would run you out of that loft.  One of the small sheepherder type stoves made for wall tents would have probably been about right.  Once we chinked in the logs that place held heat like there was no tomorrow!
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 01:56:00 PM »
It would be a sin to burn it. If your beams are too big dimesionally they can be cut down and make 2,3 or 4 new beams depending on how large they currently are. A local saw mill or carpenter shop can do it for you. All that old barn wood would make a beautiful hunting cabin, especially useing beam and post, pegged construction. A 15 x 15 or 15 x 20 would be spacious. I would love to have an opportunity like you have!
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline RAU

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 02:02:00 PM »
You have to get a professional opinion about that wood. People are definitely making money selling old barn wood. Sorry I  can't offer any advice on cabin dimensions. I hope you turn those hand hewn beams into a pile of loot or use them to build yourself a dream cabin!

Offline the elf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, 02:06:00 PM »
My son and I have a 16X24 cabin that sleeps 4 comfortably. 1 set of bunks and 2 single beds;table for 4.We can also store about 2 single cords of wood inside as well as lots of room to dry wet clothes.We have had 3 people all over 200lbs.staying at one time the 4th. bed was for storage.Hope this helps.What I did was measure all the furniture that was going in and drew up a scale drawing with everything we needed;then built the cabin to suit.

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2011, 02:09:00 PM »
Those huge timbers are worth a lot of money if sold, but worst case they could be sawed into   lumber for a new cabin.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline German Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2011, 02:14:00 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/Cabin-Inspiration-Classic-American-Getaway/dp/1561586447/ref=pd_sim_b_1/190-7881221-8396150

Her's a decent coffe table type of book with good ideas.  All them under 1000 sg foot.

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2011, 02:14:00 PM »
Last fall , I stayed in a friend's cabin, with an other friend, the cabin is just under 12x14, and we stayed 7 days in october for moose hunting, and it was plenty big a nought!! If you take your time on the layout, and that you have a nought selling hight to have bunk beds, a folding table. small wood stove. it was a great size for two hunter that past most of the day out hunting!!

Keep us posted on the progress!!

p.s. I would love to find an old building like yours to reuse!!

Offline Troy Breeding

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2011, 02:20:00 PM »
For goodness sakes Bona, don't let he wreak that barn. If you don't make cabin with them they could easily bring several hundred dollars or more.

Troy

Offline thp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2011, 02:26:00 PM »
If it's a really old barn and the wood is in decent shape you might see if it has any value to luthiers / guitar makers.  These folks go bonkers for old wood.
Be kind and merciful. Let no one ever come to you without coming away better and happier. -Mother Teresa

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2011, 02:31:00 PM »
Do you have dimension, size of the barn as now, size of the beams, thickness, width, length?
I'll try to dig out some pics of the one I was in, and post them!

If you can't use the wood, sale it and use the money to build your self a dream hunting cabin!!

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2011, 02:52:00 PM »
I will try to get some measurements. I have two nights of deer season left so I won't get to it until Mon. probably.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2011, 04:45:00 PM »
You might even make a Adirondack style lean to from the wood. They can be any size you want and provide great shelter for 2-4 hunters. Look really neat also!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline ErikT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2011, 05:38:00 PM »
Ours is 25' x 20' with 2 bedrooms and one main room kitchen/living room with storage loft.
www.yankeehunter.com
Hunt much? ©

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2012, 03:17:00 PM »
The largest beams are 9 3/4 x 7 1/2. I will get some more dimensions soon.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©