3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting Cabin Dimensions  (Read 514 times)

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting Cabin Dimensions
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2012, 03:45:00 PM »
I would think there wouldn't be any problem finding buyers for the frame and siding wood if you decided to not use it.  I know those folks have been buying them right and left in PA.  We just got three huge cupolas from a barn that was carefully disassembled and trucked off in south central PA.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2012, 05:02:00 PM »
My boss two years ago bought an old barn from Maine and had it taken down and used the wood for his den. He had it all finished and shipped to south Jersey and assembled.Old barns and the wood are worth a ton of cash.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2012, 05:07:00 PM »

The large beams are about 45 ft long.
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline Traxx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2012, 05:46:00 PM »
OHHH MAN!!!!
Im Sad to Hear its commin down.Those old Barns hold a soft spot in my heart.
Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye. Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark.

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2012, 06:29:00 PM »
I didn't relize you meant a BARN barn! It'd be great to get someone who knows what they're doing (and you could trust) to salvage the timber that could be reused to build your lodge and then sell the rest to help finance it.  Surely there are reputable folks that could at least estimate such an undertaking.
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2012, 06:36:00 PM »
Don't see to many old barns standing these days. If there's no changing his mind, I would definitely try to do somthing with the wood. You would be surprised how much money you could get for the lumber. Good luck in whatever decision you make.

Jason

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2012, 06:57:00 PM »
I went to a business in a nearby town that does these things and the gentleman is going to give us an estimate.

My husbands biggest problem with it is that we need a new barn pretty quick and he doesn't want to wait very long to get this one down and a new one up.

I hate it has to come down at all. My Grandpa may have helped build it for all I know. My grandparents lived on the opposite corner. I moved to this place almost 30 years ago!

I asked my husband, "What's a few extra weeks when we've waited this long?"

He seemed interested when I told him I talked to someone today.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2012, 07:03:00 PM »
Those old barns are priceless........I hate to see them go away. But if you could make a cabin....that would be cool!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2012, 07:08:00 PM »
Wow! You could build one heck of a cabin with that. Looking at that hay makes my back hurt. Every now and then I miss putting up square bails. I come to my senses pretty quick.  :D  

I would have a barn demo/hog roast.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2012, 07:26:00 PM »
I would suggest that you contact some of the Amish community members.  Often times they will dissassemble a barn for a fee or in exchange for the wood.  We have doe this before with great success and it was done very quickly.

Offline recurve27128

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2012, 07:47:00 PM »
There are very few free lunches, barns demo included. We took one down this spring I doubt we would do it again. Taking it down piece by piece,removing nails cleaning stacking hauling and properly caring for the end product could take two people with no equipment  300 plus hours. You likely wouldnt save any money on erection of new cabin when you have to retofit new vs old. However if its your burning passion and you have the time ,go for it.Youll pay for the amish in our area to take it down plus they keep the wood.
dave brown

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2012, 09:03:00 PM »
Had 3 of us use a couple different 10x12 cabins on Kodiak Island during nov/dec. Weather was awful as is normal but snug in the cabin. I would opt for 12x14 as optimum.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2012, 09:19:00 PM »
Some outfit came in and documented/tagged every beam in my neighbors old barn and farm house. They were taken down piece by piece, hauled from here in PA to CA, and were used in a new restaurant construction.

I hated to see the barn come down. It was a great place to shoot pigeons with the longbow.  :)
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2012, 09:25:00 PM »
I love those old hand hewn beams! Most of them I have seen around here are poplar and from the looks I would bet those are to. Those shouldn't be burned there's a good market for them and if there wasn't there still to cool to burn. I made the fireplace mantel in my house from similar beams!
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2012, 09:55:00 PM »
"too cool to burn", I agree. I'm too sentimental to do such a thing to such a beautiful old barn. I think the beams would be neat to use as the main frame and the siding for, well, the siding. It would be awsome to have a fireplace too.

Thanks for all your input.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2012, 11:41:00 PM »
The size of the beams are not that big, long but not really big, I would use them to make a post and beam structure, that you can see the beams when finish from the inside! Just my two cents!
You are so lucky!!
keep us posted!

Offline Vesty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2012, 02:54:00 PM »
6 years ago I built a cabin from scratch using cedar, spruce and hemlock from the U.P. of Michigan. It is 12x16 with a 12/12 roof. It has a 6ft. porch in the front and a loft that extends over that porch and 3ft. into the cabin. It easily sleeps 4 in the loft and you could sleep 3 or 4 on the main floor in cots in a pinch. For 3 or 4 it is ideal. I heat it with the mid size Cylinder Stove which seems perfect.

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2012, 04:18:00 PM »
I built a 12' by 16' bunkhouse with a 6' porch on the front about three years ago and its been working out great.  With 3 people it works great, 4 is ok, 5 is crowded, and 6  well ill let you know if we ever try  :knothead:  

And you got to love the view in the fall  :thumbsup:  

Good luck with your barn........ya hate to see somthing that has served you so well for so many years just burn............I absolutly love to use recycled wood for new projects!!  Whatever you make all ready has some MOJO built into it!!!!!  

Ben
The Lord Is My Provider......

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2012, 04:42:00 PM »
Vesty, You got any pics of your cabin? Sure would like to see it.
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline northener

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2012, 04:44:00 PM »

Sell the barn, build new, this is 13x15
Intellectuals solve problem, geniuses prevent them

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©